Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,374 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I want to take a trip to "southern california" area around April 17-21. We haven't made any hotel reservations on the note that we are not sure exactly what part to stay in. We would have liked to stay in Santa Monica but hotel prices are above our budget. What area should we stay in that is relatively close to SM(under 50 min drive) but also not a shady area or too pricey? We are debating back in forth to stay above like in Thousand Oaks or lower such as Anaheim or Huntington Beach. Unless there is another area that would be cheaper on us with the hotel.
Our vacation is mostly going to be hanging out at the beach, going to bars/restaurants, shopping, and sight-seeing. Since we haven't booked anything officially we are pretty flexible. So if you have any fun ideas that we should also incorporate. We want to see and do things that usually tourists miss. We want to know your secrets! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,825 times
Well seeing that "southern california" is pretty huge, you do have a lot choices where to go in "southern california", there's LA, there's San Diego, all within the boundaries of "southern california". Unless of course you would wanna drive upstate and visit "northern california".

Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
Well here is a general guide of stuff to do.

36 Hours in Hollywood - NYTimes.com

I would also highly recommed the Dearly Departed tour. It is a little macabre (you go past the Menedez bros house) and odd (you see the public restroom where George Michael got busted) but I enjoyed it.
Hollywood Bus Tours of Celebrity, Movies, Scandals, & Death | Dearly Departed Tours and Hollywood Movie Tours of Los Angeles, CA (California) (http://www.dearlydepartedtours.com/DDT/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,812 times
Have you looked for hotels in Los Angeles itself?

You say you want to stay close to Santa Monica, yet you list three cities that aren't very close to it. The three cities you mentioned will be at least a 50 minute drive (without traffic!!!) to Santa Monica.

I mean, if you're thinking about staying in Thousand Oaks, Anaheim, and Huntington Beach, you might as well add Pasadena to the list. Without traffic, you will spend less time on the freeway getting to Santa Monica from Pasadena (and vice versa) than you would without traffic to Thousand Oaks, Anaheim, and Huntington Beach.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,860 times
Speaking of hotels, can anyone recommend a cheap motel/hotel hotel that has a kitchenette? My brother and I can save some money next month by not eating out for every meal. Because the last thing I want to do is be cheapskate and starve for a weak out there! I want some place near the action too, maybe near downtown, mid-wilshire, or Hollywood.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM

171 posts, read 530,764 times
Have you thought of staying in a hostel? I know the ones in San Francisco are great. They have one in Santa Monica and in some other interesting areas. Some have co-ed rooms.

HI - Santa Monica :: Quality Beach Hostels in Los Angeles, California to Reserve Online
Orbit Hotel and Hostel in Los Angeles USA - Book Hostel Online

The Museum Of Jurassic Technology on Venice Blvd. in Culver City is not for everyone but certainly off the beaten path.
The Museum of Jurassic Technology

Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
There are motels in Santa Monica! The Hotel California is as cheap as it gets in central santa monica but it's probably still too pricy.

You can try the Best Western or comfort inn on Santa monica blvd!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
Our vacation is mostly going to be hanging out at the beach, going to bars/restaurants, shopping, and sight-seeing. Since we haven't booked anything officially we are pretty flexible. So if you have any fun ideas that we should also incorporate. We want to see and do things that usually tourists miss. We want to know your secrets! Thanks![/quote]

I would look at the Laguna Beach / corona del mar area for sure... some beautiful state beaches like Crystal Cove.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM

63 posts, read 209,623 times
There's a hotel on Santa Monica Blvd around 19th Street that has an IHOP attached to it. (Best Western?) That gets you about 19 blocks from the beach, but it's surely much cheaper than the luxury Santa Monica hotels that are close to the water. I've been to the IHOP there; it shares parking with the hotel, and it looks clean and nice (in a non-expensive way).

I think Santa Monica is a good location to stay, even if you have to drive an hour to Disneyland. There's plenty to do, especially considering your criteria: hanging out at the beach, bars/restaurants, shopping, & sight-seeing. The Third Street Promenade is good for people watching, and the Santa Monica mall is in the same area and recently reopened after a total renovation. From there you can walk to the Santa Monica pier with ferris wheel, etc, and hang out on the beach. Another area you might want to go is the Main Street area in Santa Monica, closer to the Venice side, and just a few blocks from the beach as well. This area has some interesting funky shops, some non-chain restaurants, and a really good bar or two (or so I hear).

Have a great vacation!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The Hotel California is as cheap as it gets in central santa monica but it's probably still too pricy.
Yea but they are only coming to visit. At the Hotel California "You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles