Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM

24 posts, read 99,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
All due respect TheMKook, I think LASam was trying to be helpful, esp. with his first post which was very straight forward.

And your first post does seem to suggest you don't care for LA. I've spent time in So. Fla. and think it has many merits. That said, to call out LA as "uglier" than PB/WPB is quite a stretch. There is no place in the entire state of Flordia with a backdrop like you get in Palisades park above Santa Monica beach with the Santa Monica Mountains meeting the Ocean. If that is not beautiful I don't know what is......

And while no doubt that LA has it's sprawl, the architecture in LA is FAR more interesting, eclectic, and "historic" than So. Fla.

And I think LASam is also VERY on point in pointing out Santa Monica's population density (GT 10,000 person per sq mile). That is the equivalent to Washington D.C.'s density, a very "urban" place WITHOUT tall buildings.
Oh but I agree with your points - the SoCal landscape is topographically far more interesting than SoFla - I never argued otherwise.

And while I understand the merits of population density, that does not, on its own, make a place more varied, or more interesting.

What I was trying to argue against, is the argument that Santa Monica is more of a self sufficient urban community than, in this case, West Palm Beach. Which it ISN'T. Without bringing LA into the equation. I mean, it is a self-standing urban enclave, for sure, to a certain degree - but just as saying one place is "prettier" than the other is wrong, some of the things that have been said about Santa Monica in contrast to the WPB urban environment have been inaccurate, and I wanted to rectify that.

Oh, and I did not want to bring up history because neither Florida nor Cali are exactly prime examples of historical places. Let's leave that to Europe. In the same light, some people love art deco, some despise it.

And let me say, I actually like Los Angeles, even love certain parts of it - and others, not so much. Same with Florida.

I think what you are trying to say is that Santa Monica has the charm of a small city (itself) and the convenience of a big metropolis (Los Angeles). Double whammy. But to argue that Santa Monica, per se, is vastly superior to WPB is debatable.

Oh, and just to make it clear, urbanistically and culturally speaking, I am more of a NYC person by a long shot. Hence me posting this in the first place. I know - you will say - I should hence be drawn to LA... but not so easy.

There is a cultural an urban charm to WPB that I did not encounter with Santa Monica, whose dependence on Los Angeles is a little disconcerting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 PM

304 posts, read 931,194 times
I think LA is one of the coolest places on Earth.
And virtually no bugs.
Florida has it's swell beaches but I love LA.
Yes, I am biased I was born and raised here, lived all around and am back.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,823 times
Hey TheMKook: Thanks for your reply. And I have to admit I have spent MORE time in Dade County than in the WPB/PB area. That said, I do SEE many good points to downtown WPB. Plus, the Art Deco district in Miami Beach and Coral Gables are both fantastic.

However, I'd argue that cities are NOT islands and you can't divorce them from their surroundings. Santa Monica is far more CENTRALLY located within the LA metro than WPB is in SoFla. I mean downtown LA is only 14 miles from Santa Monica. Miami is like 60 plus miles from WPB.

But even granting your argument and looking at the two places in isolation, I believe that Santa Monica has more going for it:
-Ocean and beach are at the Santa Monica's doorstep. WPB has water but you have to drive over bridges/causeways to get to the actual beach.
-Santa Monica has more going on in terms of culture, arts, and music. Just one example is McCabe's guitar shop which has hosted so many greats over the years from Allen Ginsberg to Tom Waits.
-Winters are nicer in WPB. Summers are nicer in Santa Monica.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,308 times
Two completely different places. I have lived in both for an extensive period of time. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. Depends on your priorities.
Santa Monica PRO
Definitely a big city vibe, fantastic weather, close to the ocean, lots of young energy, fast paced, great bars and restaurants, shopping, and of course its part of LA. But if you don't want or need to be in a big city you have the cons...

Ocean is cold ALL THE TIME, big city, lots of traffic (I personally hate the West side, I'm a Hollywood Hills girl myself. I truly believe west coast beaches are way overrated. Other than the views which can be awesome, its just too deep and not inviting at all. EXTREMELY expensive. Sales tax is WACKED. 9.25% The state of CA is going bankrupt, schools pretty much suck unless you are willing to pay a small fortune in property taxes....

Basically, you are deciding between living in a lovely little town (WPB) that isn't quite as attractive on some levels and definitely does not have near the amount of opportunity for a younger person---depending on the field you choose. Water lifestyle is definitely more enjoyable and available in WP.

But to compare the two by defending WP as a "Big City" with so much to offer, ie. cityplace, Lake Worth, Clematis Street, even the island of Palm Beach is just downright silly. That's like comparing Savannah to NYC ( any neighborhood in NYC). Not that one is any better than the other, just apples and oranges.

BIG CITY Beach Town, vs. moderately sized south Florida town (and WPB is not a "beach town" because you have to cross the fascist bridge into Palm Beach to get there). Technically, WPB doesn't even have a beach, it belongs to Palm Beach and if you've lived there for any length of time you already know what I'm talking about. It might as well be a different country and if your from the "other side of the bridge" you are just a guest when you go to the beach. It ain't yours. Just because you can ride your bike to the beach from there does not make is a "beach town."

Oh, and ironically, WPB is much more diverse than Santa Monica. Santa Monica/west side is about as white as a community comes.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,710 times
I think you'll be happier in Florida. You seem to favor it. I lived in Miami for four years. Not exactly West Palm, I guess, so maybe I don't know So Fla like you. Personally, I would never move back. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 PM

24 posts, read 99,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
I think you'll be happier in Florida. You seem to favor it. I lived in Miami for four years. Not exactly West Palm, I guess, so maybe I don't know So Fla like you. Personally, I would never move back. Good luck.
I don't favor Florida. I favor West Palm over Santa Monica, perhaps. But then again, the Los Angeles metro is more appealing than the Miami metro - and purely in terms of the opportunities available in the field I'm in. Weird, huh. Having said that, I am a big city person.

Now, if any of them had the NYC lifestyle and cultural opportunities, I'd be sold. Lower East Side, anyone...?

As for the above replies - thanks, guys. Yes, Santa Monica has far more educational institutions in its immediate surroundings to afford it more of a younger vibe. A couple things, though: By following the same logic that states that Santa Monica is part of LA, we could say that the beach on Palm Beach belongs to West Palm Beach - if nothing, thanks to its proximity. And, no argument, beaches in and around WPB and SoFla are waay better.

So yeah, it comes down to what an individual is looking for. Live independent music? Los Angeles. Movie industry? No argument.
Beach lifestyle and all out beach climate? Miami. Despite the ridiculous Summers. Fashion modeling? Los Angeles. Commercial? Miami.

Ooops, I didn't meant to turn this into a Miami vs. LA post, but the point remains: depends what one is looking for and what line of work one wants to get into.

So yeah, New York wins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles