Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,506 times

Advertisements

I decided to move to LA in April of next year (or whenever I find a job there).
I have a friend that lives there, and she said I'm more than welcome to use her address on my applications. I've heard of this 'trick' before, but I never really understood how it would work. Once the employer looks at my resume, it will become obvious that I live in GA (since my current job is in GA).

So I was wondering if anybody could explain this to me. I'm starting to look for jobs today so I need some help with my cover letter. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
I have a good friend in Hollywood who I have lived with before and he lets me use his address for my job search. Only problem is I have been doing this for over a year and submitted to probably over a hundred jobs and not got one call yet. Either I am doing something wrong, or the job market is CA is as bad as everyone says it is. Probably both. I would say your ok, just explain to Human Resources if they call. Tell them your situation. Main problem is if they call you and say "Can you come in tomorrow for an interview?" What do you do then? They probably won't wait around. Good luck to you!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Thank you for your response!

I can't help but wonder what the point is, if I'm going to tell the truth to the HR person anyway? It feels like lying to me, to be honest

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM

95 posts, read 281,374 times
I did the same thing a few years ago. Just put on your resume you are no longer at your current job. It worked for me. The problem now is the economy. You are doing nothing wrong, there are just too many people applying for very few jobs.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
I am not sure I understand what is wrong with stating that you wish to move to Los Angeles. Maybe if you word it like "Will be moving permanently to Los Angeles and seeking long term employment" that will allay any concerns that you are transient. I am not sure because I don't really understand the problem of applying for a job out of state.

In any case, welcome to Los Angeles.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post

In any case, welcome to Los Angeles.
Aw, thank you

Applying for an out-of-state job is not a problem. What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not using my friend's local address is a good idea...

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R. View Post
I did the same thing a few years ago. Just put on your resume you are no longer at your current job. It worked for me. The problem now is the economy. You are doing nothing wrong, there are just too many people applying for very few jobs.
Unfortunately, I am terrible at lying and too scared to lie, too...

Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Main problem is if they call you and say "Can you come in tomorrow for an interview?" What do you do then? They probably won't wait around. Good luck to you!
Hm.. tomorrow might be a problem. But I am willing and ready to fly in for an interview.. I'd just need at least a day to get there

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have a good friend in Hollywood who I have lived with before and he lets me use his address for my job search. Only problem is I have been doing this for over a year and submitted to probably over a hundred jobs and not got one call yet. Either I am doing something wrong, or the job market is CA is as bad as everyone says it is. Probably both. I would say your ok, just explain to Human Resources if they call. Tell them your situation. Main problem is if they call you and say "Can you come in tomorrow for an interview?" What do you do then? They probably won't wait around. Good luck to you!
Jc, you have a few things going against you: to start you know how bad the market is and for another, yes, you are from another state and if I remember right you are unemployed now. If that is the case, that will add insult to injury. I might be wrong about the last part.

Also does your resume only include jobs you have had that are completely related to the one you are applying for?

Nita

Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I decided to move to LA in April of next year (or whenever I find a job there).
I have a friend that lives there, and she said I'm more than welcome to use her address on my applications. I've heard of this 'trick' before, but I never really understood how it would work. Once the employer looks at my resume, it will become obvious that I live in GA (since my current job is in GA).

So I was wondering if anybody could explain this to me. I'm starting to look for jobs today so I need some help with my cover letter. Thank you very much!
I have heard of doing just that before, but I agree with you, any HR person with a clue will pick up on the situation in a second. As for someones suggestion about not showing you are employed at this time, that could seriously backfire. It may work sometimes but employers like to hire people that are currently employed especially if the job is mid management or higher.

Good luck. As bad as things are in Ca right now, there are always those who surprise even themselves and get jobs. Some fields are easier to get hired in than others. The tough ones are those that require little education and are pretty much jobs that many others can do. The specialty type jobs have less competition.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: