Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:46 AM

427 posts, read 1,094,052 times

Advertisements

I've only been to LA a few times but I've always been fixated on the San Fernando Valley. I think here's why. Here's the second biggest city in the country, yet in the valley, there was this familiar feeling like I was out east. Yet when my cousin and I were driving down Ventura Blvd, there was an unmistakable feeling of LA. It was like it was the motherland of the type of city I was raised in (which was in FL). So I've always had this fantasy of owning a small house in the valley, especially in the older communities on the east end. Another fantasy I associate with the valley is serious outdoor grilling. I bet it's nice and dry in the valley and you can see the stars. Just a perfect primal grilling environment. And of course company will be part of it too. I could keep expanding on this vision, I always wanted a nice dog like a chocolate lab that could run around in my backyard in the valley. Now cars, I couldn't care less about, I hope my '94 century runs forever. I hope my dreams fall in line with what LA has to offer, grillin and chillin. Yeah I know I could just as easily do those 2 things anywhere in the country but it would be so much funner in LA. So I guy in here said a college degree out there really helps so I got into University of South Florida St. Petersburg . I'm 35, my family is watching, wondering if I'm goint to come through. I'm thinking if I screw up I'm not going to CA. I can't put needless pressure on myself. I work 45 hours a week at a pawn shop deeling with sub-humans, and it wears me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 AM

427 posts, read 1,094,052 times
Damn that's a lot of typos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I've only been to LA a few times but I've always been fixated on the San Fernando Valley. I think here's why. Here's the second biggest city in the country, yet in the valley, there was this familiar feeling like I was out east. Yet when my cousin and I were driving down Ventura Blvd, there was an unmistakable feeling of LA. It was like it was the motherland of the type of city I was raised in (which was in FL). So I've always had this fantasy of owning a small house in the valley, especially in the older communities on the east end. Another fantasy I associate with the valley is serious outdoor grilling. I bet it's nice and dry in the valley and you can see the stars. Just a perfect primal grilling environment. And of course company will be part of it too. I could keep expanding on this vision, I always wanted a nice dog like a chocolate lab that could run around in my backyard in the valley. Now cars, I couldn't care less about, I hope my '94 century runs forever. I hope my dreams fall in line with what LA has to offer, grillin and chillin. Yeah I know I could just as easily do those 2 things anywhere in the country but it would be so much funner in LA. So I guy in here said a college degree out there really helps so I got into University of South Florida St. Petersburg . I'm 35, my family is watching, wondering if I'm goint to come through. I'm thinking if I screw up I'm not going to CA. I can't put needless pressure on myself. I work 45 hours a week at a pawn shop deeling with sub-humans, and it wears me out.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Night time grilling in So Cal involves a lot fewer bugs than you're used to.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:31 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Night time grilling in So Cal involves a lot fewer bugs than you're used to.
Don't EVEN get me started! 2 of our big Summer BBQ's had to be taken indoors due to Mosquito attacks! When I was in L.A. i could not believe how I could be at a backyard gathering all night and never so much as see a bug, it was such a relief.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM

191 posts, read 586,682 times
I know what you mean, OP. We lived in Sherman Oaks for a time - the backyard BBQ, pool, and towering palm trees created a scene exactly as you described. My father in law was born and raised in the midwest; every time he came over he would say "THIS is how I pictured southern California."

The dry heat + cool pool, hot grill + cold beer are special combinations for sure.

Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for Sherman Oaks or Valley Village. Go a little further east and check out Burbank.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,848,567 times
Cruising Ventura Blvd is definately cool, a very authentic LA experience. The SFV gets a lot of flack from Angelenos, so don't be too surprised to see more than a few negative reactions to your sentiments. There's honestly a lot of nice places to live in the SFV, and it's more affordable than the LA basin. The key to living happily in the SFV is also working in the SFV and not having to fight your way through the mountains every day.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times
I've lived in the SFV my entire life and I cannot wait to get out. It is nothing like it used to be when I was growing up. Also, you can't see stars here because there are too many lights around. No, there aren't bugs (wait, what are bugs? lol) but with the traffic and illegals coming here this isn't a place I would ever suggest people to move to. LA is going down hill FAST. Middle class is leaving so unless you are very wealthy, it's not a great place to live.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Ok..so I lived in the "valley" for 39 years of my life. There is good and bad like all places. The summer and winter BBQ's are amazing to be sure. As far as seeing any stars--that might be a stretch of the imagination. Maybe when those Santa Ana winds are blowing you can see the stars! The pools, the dry warm air and even the palm trees are pretty amazing and as much as I think where I live now is beautiful I do miss lots about the valley. I don't miss the crime but hey, there is always some bad with the good. I always enjoyed Ventura Blvd. I like having so much so close by but also finding escapes around. I do miss it and my family and friends!! If it wern't so darned expensive!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,420,439 times
Most of the valley is NOTHING like the strip along Ventura.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
If it wern't so darned expensive!
I know!!!! I wish this were 50 years ago. I wish my grandparents would have moved there in the 50's then I would have been able to grow up somewhere with things to do and never have to see that icky snow stuff! wish wish wish lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles