Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Korean food rocks, but it is uber spicy. So if you don't like spicy food then it won't be for you.

Kalbi (korean grilled chicken) is great, as is Bulgogi (marinated beef). There is also a spicy, if overpriced tofu soup called Dubu (a Korean cognate of the Japanese word tofu) and another soup called Jampong (usually had squid in it when I ate it in Korea, but I like squid, so no problem). There is also a chicken dish that is like a Korean adaptation of sweet and sour chicken that is soooooo good. I was eating that at least once a week at this little mom and pop place next to the apartment I was living in in Taejon.

And you can't forget about the various kinds of kimchi. The radish version is my favorite, but it's all good. Just make sure you pop a couple of mints after you eat it because it has a lot of garlic in it.

The only things I really didn't care for in Korea were boiled silkworms and this rice and raisin concoction that was pretty tough sledding to eat both texturally and flavorwise. I would also never eat dog. That idea is just revolting to me.

In any event, make sure you really give Korean food a good chance. Definitely tasty stuff.
good advice for the OP, but i just wanted to make a few minor corrections regarding korean food terminology:

the standard order of kalbi is actually marinated beef short ribs, not chicken. i know you're aware of this already, rob, but for those unfamiliar with this dish, kalbi is generally cooked right in front of the diners on a barbecue grill that is embedded into the dining table. it's best eaten at places that barbecue the meat over a coal-fired or wood-fired grill, since gas grills don't impart the smoky flavor of coal or wood.

there is also a dish called dahk kalbi, which means "chicken kalbi" and is available at only a handful of korean restaurants in the u.s. for whatever reason. it consists of various pieces of dark and white chicken meat that have already been deboned. as with beef kalbi, the meat is cooked on a table grill in front of the diners.

and then there's dweji kalbi (pork kalbi), which is simply pork ribs cooked on top of a table grill.

bulgogi, as rob already stated, is another type of marinated barbecue beef dish. it is made with thinly sliced ribeye, i.e. the same cut of meat that's used in a philly cheesesteak. some places will actually pan fry it in the kitchen, which is not preferable; you definitely want to make sure that it's cooked on a grill right in front of you.

the tofu soup that rob mentioned is called soondooboo jjigae, with "dooboo" meaning "tofu" and "jjigae" meaning "stew".

jjambbong is a dish of northern chinese origin that was introduced to korea by chinese immigrants 100 years ago, so it's usually only available at korean-style chinese restaurants, as opposed to standard korean eateries. there are a handful of straight-up korean spots that do serve it, but they're usually casual spots serving comfort food rather than barbecue joints.

the chicken dish that rob ate in korea is most likely ggan-poong-gi or najogi - both of which are chinese dishes that were introduced by immigrants back in the day, and adapted to korean tastes (i.e. made spicier and more garlicky). again, you need to go to korean-style chinese restaurants to get this dish, rather than standard barbecue/stew restaurants.

the boiled silkworms are actually available at a korean bar in LA, but i forget which one. they're an acquired taste, but i happen to like them. then again, i'm a sucker for weird food.

as for dogs as food in korea -
i've never tried it, but i get annoyed whenever some sanctimonious windbag (usually in western society) gets on his soapbox and spouts misinformed generalizations and negative stereotypes about koreans and dog-eating. now, i don't want to derail this thread, so all i'll say is that there are a lot of hypocrites out there who seem to apply different standards to different societies.

btw, none of the above was directed at anyone on this site. just making a general observation since the subject was brought up.

also, dog meat is not available at any korean restaurant in LA or the rest of the country as far as i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM

113 posts, read 553,239 times
Koreatown rocks!

Food, as others have said, is kick butt, go get some duk bo sam and you will be verrry happy. Just make sure you don't mind smelling like smoke and oil after as you cook at your table - but it's well worth it.

ktown is also great for singing karaoke (norebang in their speak) and drinking into the wee hours of the morning..

the place also has interesting architecture (lots of filming in ktown to replicate older, east coast cities) and temples / churchs / venues. oh, and don't be intimidated if you're not korean, the worst thing to actually be is a non-korean speaking asian, b/c then it is assumed that you are korean, and korean speaking, and you will be treated thusly....haha....does that make sense?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
If you're new to Korean food, I would highly suggest trying the food court (yes, the food court!) in the Koreatown Plaza Mall. It's actually really good IMO and very affordable and is a good introduction to Korean food offerings. I'm talking about the mall on Western that's closer the Wilshire. There's another mall just a few blocks down on Western called the Koreatown Galleria (I think?), but I don't like their food court as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles