Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 PM

41 posts, read 178,072 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I'm a soon-to-be college student and I'm looking at schools all over the country. I live in Maryland now, but one of the schools I'm really interested in is USC. I've never been to Los Angeles, and I realize that I can't really make this decision without visiting the school, but it doesn't look like that will be happening for a while, so I thought I'd ask you guys about some of my concerns.

~I'm pale. From what I've heard about LA, no one is pale over there, and everyone is either naturally tan or uses some form of artificial tanning. I don't tan naturally at all, I just burn. So will I stick out like a sore thumb?

~I'm gay. I don't really think this would be a problem, from what I've heard LA is a very accepting city. But I thought I would ask anyway, just in case there are any neighborhoods I should look for/avoid.

~The crime rate. I've heard there's a lot of crime around the USC campus. Is this true? Is there anything special I can do to stay safe on and around campus?

~The smog. This is more of a concern for my parents than me. Is it really that noticeable? Are there especially "bad smog days" and if so, how often do you have them?

Any feedback at all would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murland View Post
~I'm pale. From what I've heard about LA, no one is pale over there, and everyone is either naturally tan or uses some form of artificial tanning. I don't tan naturally at all, I just burn. So will I stick out like a sore thumb
This one made me laugh. You're fine. LA is not what you've seen on TV.

Quote:
~I'm gay. I don't really think this would be a problem, from what I've heard LA is a very accepting city. But I thought I would ask anyway, just in case there are any neighborhoods I should look for/avoid.
No one cares. (I mean this in the best way...) You shouldn't have any problems here.

Quote:
~The crime rate. I've heard there's a lot of crime around the USC campus. Is this true? Is there anything special I can do to stay safe on and around campus?
Yes, USC is in a semi-rough area. The campus itself is fine.

You can learn to defend yourself, and use common sense to stay safe.

Quote:
~The smog. This is more of a concern for my parents than me. Is it really that noticeable? Are there especially "bad smog days" and if so, how often do you have them?
You can see it in the air. Some people have repertory problems, but unless you have a condition already, don't worry about it.

I'll also note: it sounds like you guys need to do a lot more research before you make this decision. You need to get out here and see for yourself, because it seems like you (both you and your parents) are working off a lot of stereotypes at the moment.

Welcome, and good luck with school.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
The USC campus isn't in the best neighborhood, but the school is trying to help gentrify the area. The area is probably comparable to inner city Baltimore (where you are from) as far as crime rate. Baltimore actually might be even more violent.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,932 times
I agree with 1200RT, no one will care how pale you are. USC is full of diverse students and faculty and no one that attends/works there nor the community will care how you look.
Your sexual orientation wont matter.
USC isn't in the best of neighborhoods but it is getting fixed up slowly but surely. Every time I go back to La to visit my family, my grandmother lives around there, I see the changes and it is beginning to look pretty nice. I'm sure the campus offers programs on how to stay safe and how to defend yourself. USC is by a few bus lines so it is very easy to travel around. The Colosseum, IMAX theater, Rose garden, and Science center are just down the street (a block away).
I can't really tell you about the smog because I was born and raised in La so the smog doesn't bother me at all. I see it in the air but it never bothers my breathing. However, for some reason when I come back to school, in Central California, where the air is clean, I seem to have all types of respiratory problems .
Good luck with your research into the school and with your studies.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Murland, I am not poking fun, but the pale comment got me laughing too. No one cares what color you are or if you are gay.

I think the crime in the immediate area of USC is low. The smog in downtown is not as bad as some of the surrounding areas but it can impact sensitive people some days. It is a lot better than it used to be.

I say, go for it, it will be a great experience for you

My son goes to graduate school at USC...he loves it

Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

41 posts, read 178,072 times
Thanks for your quick responses everyone.

I'm glad to hear that my paleness won't be a problem Like I said, I live in Maryland. The only sources of info about LA that I really have access to are reality TV shows and my friend who used to live near LA about five years ago. But I'm glad to hear that tanning doesn't seem to be as much of an obsession as I thought

I know that before I make my decision I need to get out there and visit the school and spend some time in the city. Unfortunately because of my parents' work schedule and things like that, I won't be able to get out there for a while (I'm still a junior in high school so I have plenty of time). So I just thought I'd ask around here to clear up some myths and rumors I've heard about LA.

Thanks again everyone

Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 AM

41 posts, read 106,562 times
Quote:
Hey there. I'm a soon-to-be college student and I'm looking at schools all over the country. I live in Maryland now, but one of the schools I'm really interested in is USC. I've never been to Los Angeles, and I realize that I can't really make this decision without visiting the school, but it doesn't look like that will be happening for a while, so I thought I'd ask you guys about some of my concerns.

~I'm pale. From what I've heard about LA, no one is pale over there, and everyone is either naturally tan or uses some form of artificial tanning. I don't tan naturally at all, I just burn. So will I stick out like a sore thumb?

Any feedback at all would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Save your money and go to school someplace else.
The USC campus is relatively safe, not perfect, but not bad. Although the area AROUND the campus, is one of the worst in L.A.
The school has a good rep and is hard to get into because everybody and his dog wants to go there. Half of China wants to go there, the other half goes to a UC. It's also extremely expensive. My brother went there for 2 years about 20 years ago, tuition and room and board was over $30,000 per year. So can you imagine what the price would be now??? I still say save your money. You can get just as good of an education at many other schools that are far less expensive.
The school is not as important as the student, if you have a good ethic you will do well and succeed in any school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: