Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,857 times

Advertisements

Good day all,

First time posting here, but a frequent visitor. I am a recent college graduate and have been employed for the past few months in central Texas at a decent engineering firm. Make a great salary, nothing to complain about.

However, I am getting an offer from an engineering company close to Los Angeles for a great engineering position that is very related to what I studied in college (Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering). Right now, I do some engineering but its only remotely related to my field of study (there is a possibility that after a year I could be more into a technical field). It's good work, and I'm very good at it but its not very technical or challenging and mainly a desk job.

The salary for this new job is around 70k. I know that its probably not a lot in in LA, and cost equivalently its probably less than or equal to my current TX salary. But it's passion that I'm after, not money.

I am a single guy with no outstanding debts or loans and live in an apt with my lease coming to an end soon. I'm also definitely not a big spender on things and tend to save the majority of my paycheck (unlike some of my friends here ). I don't want to live right in the city and don't mind a long commute if I have to live in the "suburbs" of LA. Rent is expensive there, I know!

I'm comfortable with where I'm at, but this is a really good opportunity for me to get involved in something that is closer to my area of study.
What is your advice? Take it? Could I afford to live there?

Last edited by jamesAUK; 05-15-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Yes, you should be able to live comfortably on that salary. Not lap of luxury, but you should be able to rent a nice place, enjoy nights out with your friends, and put something into savings.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 PM

80 posts, read 296,156 times
My wife is an ME and we have friends that are in similar situations to you. It really depends on what you're looking for. CA has a lot of different things to offer than TX, and vice versa.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:13 PM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
I think you'll enjoy yourself here. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:21 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Plenty of money for LA w/no dependents and frugal habits

Real question is how position fits vs one's career strategy esp in a tricky economy

Upward career mobility (in conjunction w/disciplined spending/saving) makes many COL comparos of CA vs TX fairly irrelevant to yuppies, esp workaholic yuppies who have less free time anyway to acquire costly leisure habits

Besides, always difficult to price coastal CA's nr-perfect weather/topography and ability to enjoy frugal staycations, unlike many of our colleagues in rest of US in allegedly "cheaper" places

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 AM

20 posts, read 95,773 times
you say you dont mind a long commute now, but once youre out here that might change. the traffic out here is terrible. do you know where in la the job will be?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
What led you to take the current job you have now?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Default Job offer in LA - recent college graduate - good?

In this economy, almost any job above the level of flipping burgers is good!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 7,857 times
Thanks for all the quick responses and advice.

To answer your questions:

Quote:
"you say you dont mind a long commute now, but once youre out here that might change. the traffic out here is terrible. do you know where in la the job will be?"--Czer
You are right, traffic is terrible in LA. But I won't mind a commute if it means working in an interesting field. Also gives me more time to listen to the radio! The job is about 10 min south of LAX.

Quote:
What led you to take the current job you have now?--vegaspilgrim
I evaluated four offers, and at the time, this position that I have was really involved in engineering. But two months in due to restructuring, it evolved into a different position. It's not like I can't do the job. To me the job is very simple, and that's the problem---it doesn't challenge me. I can go in the morning, do my things without being troubled and come back home 5 times a week. The only benefit of this position is really a financial one, not a career growth one. I would like to be challenged, learn new things, and work in my field.

What kind of rent prices are we looking at here if I live north of LA? $1500-$1600 for a 600sqft apt? Not looking for anything luxurious at all, but am looking to stay in a safe area.

Last edited by jamesAUK; 05-16-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
First of all, congratulations on the opporunity.

Given your job's location, I would suggest trying to live in the South Bay (Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach) or Santa Monica/Playa Del Rey/Venice/Westchester.

All of those areas are pretty close to the job and have varying degrees of appeal for a single person....but generally are GOOD places for young, singles.

The link below is for a one-bedroom in Redondo Beach within your price range. I do NOT see a picture in the add (so obviously it COULD be a dump). I found it on craigslist but not sure the link came through to the post.

That said, you should be able to find something pretty good for your projected price range. Again, living north of LA, would be a HELLISH commute...depending on what you mean by "north of LA".......

Beautiful remodeled 1BDR Beach pad,*ON the beach with parking!!!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1743686825.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles