Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Washington State however I have been accepted into Musicians Institute and will be attending school for a year in downtown Hollywood. I have read both positive and negative thoughts on taking my car to LA. Any one out there have any thoughts on that? I am also looking for housing in dowtown and would love some suggestions on a SAFE place to live for the year I am there. I am a 36 year old male I am responsible, clean, and respectful. I am also very easy going and capable of getting along with all types of personalities. Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Last edited by Pete.Hernandez; 08-29-2012 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: transfered with strange charicters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 PM

810 posts, read 1,344,867 times
I'm in a similar situation. It really depends on your budget, it's generally considered better the closer you get to West Hollywood. Maybe you can get loans for going to school to help you.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,896,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I'm in a similar situation. It really depends on your budget, it's generally considered better the closer you get to West Hollywood. Maybe you can get loans for going to school to help you.
This is the general belief, but I really don't think it is true. Generally West Hollywood is more for the "yuppie" set (or if you are gay maybe check out WeHo) while Hollywood is a mix of bohemian and glammy (glam more comes from the people visiting the neighborhood). Good deal of homeless, lots of street vendors/performers and a high concentration of (soft) drug use.

I would stick to looking between La Brea and the 101 Freeway along either Franklin, Hollywood or Sunset (if you are short on cash then you can go further south but the walk starts to become pretty long). I recommend sticking to Central HW if you are going to be getting to MI without a car (which I would recommend, I'm not sure what kind of parking options they have) because it will be annoying to have to get on a bus from WeHo every day to get to classes. Might as well just walk and be within the general vicinity of your classes, which will come in handy if you have to run to the studio late at night or have a group meeting in the evening, etc.

My wife and I have lived in the heart of Central Hollywood for two years now with not even the slightest of issues. We share a car, which she has to use for work. I work from home and don't miss lacking access to a car at all. Buses, subway and walking will get you pretty much everything you need in the area - from groceries to entertainment.

The question is, what is your budget for an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles