Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 18,031 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
LA is huge, and has many great Thai/Chinese restaurants.

Narrow it down a bit? What area/neighborhood?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM

362 posts, read 818,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlegal84 View Post
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Try yelp.

Should be able to sort yourself out proper there.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,218,434 times
natalie thai is a very popular restaurant with locations in bevelry hills and culver city.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,046,692 times
thai town (a section of east hollywood) and north hollywood (a section of the san fernando valley) are the two places in LA with the highest concentration of good-to-great thai restaurants. there are so many places i could recommend, but my favorites in each area are jitlada in thai town (make sure to order off of the southern thai menu) and swan in north hollywood. if you're down in orange county, check out thai nakorn in stanton.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,034,329 times
Thai Nakorn used to be my favorite. Last time I went there though, things were very different. Poor quality food and nothing like I remember. It was a new location after a fire had taken out the previous locale.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,356,386 times
Torung on Hollywood Blvd is my favorite. open til 3 or 4 in the morning. me and my boyfriend are able to get two entrees, appetizer, and two thai iced teas for 20 bucks. and its great food. park at the mobil across the street.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,832 times
turong thai gets my vote as well. its great for late night dining.
so does natalee thai in palms. such yummy food.

if you want chinese, go to monterey park or anywhere in the SGV (san gabriel valley) but i would YELP the places/areas first.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
Also... what kind of Chinese are you looking for? How authentic? Formal? Informal? You can get any kind of Chinese food you want, from pretty much any region of the country (as well as Chinese inspired by Chinese living in other parts of the world). Check out pretty much anything Jonathan Gold has written for some suggestions, too. A lot of options are going to be in the San Gabriel Valley, but you can find good options all over the place. LA is a very, very good place for both Thai and Chinese food. Bring cash; some of the smaller places are cash-only.

Jonathan Gold - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

And people in LA seem to have very strong opinions on where to get the best dim sum; I don't by any means claim to be an expert in that, but a lot of people really love the Empress Pavilion in Chinatown. It's been around for decades and is pretty famous.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,046,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Thai Nakorn used to be my favorite. Last time I went there though, things were very different. Poor quality food and nothing like I remember. It was a new location after a fire had taken out the previous locale.
that's too bad about thai nakorn. i remember the food being really good, albeit the last time i went there was several years ago.

to the OP:
i'd like to echo uptown urbanist's sentiments. what type of chinese food are you looking for? chinese-american or authentic chinese? if it's the latter, is there any specific region of china whose cuisine interests you? saying "i want chinese food" may mean one thing only in most u.s. cities (beef with broccoli, egg foo young, wonton soup, fortune cookies), but in LA, it can mean a lot of different things: anything from the aforementioned chinese-american dishes to super spicy sichuan food drenched in oils and peppercorns; shanghainese soup dumplings; tianjin steamed pork buns; shandong beef rolls; taiwanese stinky tofu; and so on and so forth.

generally speaking, the best chinese food (across all chinese subcuisines) is in the san gabriel valley, with large concentrations of restaurants in monterey park, alhambra, san gabriel, temple city, rosemead, arcadia, hacienda heights, and rowland heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles