Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM

17 posts, read 55,118 times

Advertisements

I have posted a thread about moving from NOVA to Santa Monica, but I wanted to get some advice from the City Data forum members. And I don’t know if I should have posted it in the same board. But I have a difficult decision about moving that I have to make in the next 2 weeks or so.

I have been working as an intern at a company and they have finally offered me a full time position, which I have been working towards for the last 7 or 8 months (in Northern Virginia). BUT my part time job has also offered me a position in Santa Monica, where other than the two friends I have moving with me I won’t know anybody there. All of my friends and family are located within 15 miles of where I’m living now. I just don’t want to regret an opportunity to have a great “adventure” in California, that I’m able to do now that I’m still young. The salary at both of the places are about the same and both are careers where I LOVE what I’m doing.

So please...offer me some advice and make this decision a lot easier on myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,437 times
Well...that is not a bad "problem" to have in this economy.

Only you can answer that question for yourself.

That said, I'd say if living in California does appeal to you I'd say go for it.

You are young and have a few friends that will be here. I did the opposite of what you are considering: moved from West to East Coast.....I eventually moved back home of So.Calif. However, I am glad to have experienced something different. It will educate you in ways you can't imagine.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times
You're going to turn down full-time employment for part-time employment to live in more expensive California?

Yeah that sounds smart.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM

17 posts, read 55,118 times
SoCal thanks for the feedback.

And Mr. Fantastic, I'm sorry if my post made it sound like I was going to be working part time in Cali, they offered me a full time position with a full time salary. Now that it's clarified, is there any advice you could offer me?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
considering both places are equal as far as housing, i would come to CA if it's something that you really want to try. i did the opposite of you and lived in VA for a while in college, but moved home because I liked CA better. I don't regret my move though as I got to experience a new city and see places that i would have never visited otherwise. it sounds like you have a job lined up and some roomates to come along with you, so it may not be a bad idea to try it out for a while. ultimately you have to decide which is more important to you though, family or adventure. good luck, it sounds like you'll be fine with either job you choose.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I agree with BRinSM. I'd go for the California job. You don't have to stay forever if you don't like it or if you miss your family, but I think having the opportunity to experience new places and things (and meet new people) is something you'll really appreciate.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctemdiem View Post
is there any advice you could offer me?
Flip a coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles