Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I have one more question regarding AEX. Do they offer a lot of flights to different cities?
AEX has service to Houston Intercontinental (Continental), Dallas-Ft. Worth (American) and Atlanta (Delta). They recently had service to Memphis (Delta), but that service was dropped.

I should add, however, that AEX sees a tremendous amount of Military charters using civilian airlines. It's not unusual to see a chartered Boeing 747 fly non-stop to Germany, etc. Those charters aren't included in the official AEX passenger stats, but that level of activity is great for local business.

I think I'll start a Louisiana airport thread once all the 2010 numbers are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 PM

290 posts, read 573,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I have one more question regarding AEX. Do they offer a lot of flights to different cities?
AEX is an International Airport. I remember listening to the radio and they would announce a city and country they added to its fly list.

Yes, they offer flights to many major cities and countries.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
It does amaze me that Lafayette doesnt have a bigger airport. Im guessing thats because BR has a large one and now Alexandria, but it seems strange.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
BR nor Lafayette need a large airport. I'm not sure what you mean by large but BTR metro is smallllll.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
It does amaze me that Lafayette doesnt have a bigger airport. Im guessing thats because BR has a large one and now Alexandria, but it seems strange.
The Lafayette airport just set an all time record for passengers last year at 449,140 (enplanement and deplanement) and plans are being finalized for a $31.5 million terminal expansion. There's also a 540,000 sq. ft. air cargo apron and facility under construction for UPS and FedEx next to PHI.

Just a quick glance at Enplanement numbers for Louisiana's seven air carrier airports from 2009 (the latest year the FAA has complete stats):

New Orleans (Class B)

Baton Rouge (Class C)

Shreveport (Class C)

Lafayette (Class C)
- 225,632 (2010)

Alexandria (Class D)

Monroe (Class D)

Lake Charles (Class D)

Once all airports release their 2010 numbers, I'll create a new thread.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appraisergx View Post
AEX is an International Airport. I remember listening to the radio and they would announce a city and country they added to its fly list.

Yes, they offer flights to many major cities and countries.
The city of Alexandria has done a remarkable job developing England Airpark (formerly England AFB) into an outstanding mixed-use facility with a beautiful new passenger terminal. However, some clarification is in order over the use of the term "International Airport". Many airports use the International tag, some more appropriately than others.

Here's what I'm getting at. Here in Lafayette, some locals felt we should "promote" ourselves by changing Lafayette Regional Airport to Lafayette International Airport ever since LFT was given International Port of Entry status many years ago. And for several years, FedEx had daily flights from LFT to Monterrey Mexico, as well as daily crew change charters to Ciudad de Carmen Mexico using a couple of thirty-two passenger Dornier regional jets, not to mention frequent international corporate flights as well as vacation charters. The way it works is the operator notifies the regional U.S. Customs office with the estimated time of arrival and the customs officials drive in to provide the clearance.

Not sure if BTR (Baton Rouge Metro Airport) or SHV (Shreveport Regional Airport) have a U.S. Customs office on the field, but I see an even greater level of international arrivals and departures at those airports, probably ranked second and third statewide with a slight edge to SHV due to air cargo.

Point being, the airport name is just that. A name. Nothing is preventing the director of the Houma airport from self-declaring it the Houma International Airport as it is also an International Port of Entry. That's all I'm getting at.

I think AEX can appropriately designate itself as such due to the high volume of military charters. But, for airports such as BTR, SHV and LFT, we'll do so only after securing mainline passenger service across the border...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'll be glad when you realize that everywhere else is not Texas. Thanks to Houston, no petroleum based city in Louisiana is going to post massive growth unless it diversifies. It's probably hard for Baton Rouge to do much in that sense given that it's in between New Orleans and Houston. In order to squeeze an extra 2 million people in New Orleans you would have to either Manhattanize or build never-ending cookie cutter suburbs on the westbank. Unlike Texas, that suburbia thing won't fly on the Southshore.
I beleive Lake Charles is like the busiest seaport between houston and new orleans, and LC has the blessing of being surrounded by so much water, enabling aceess to the gulf. If only we could get that damn revitalization to happen quicker than it is.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM

290 posts, read 573,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
The city of Alexandria has done a remarkable job developing England Airpark (formerly England AFB) into an outstanding mixed-use facility with a beautiful new passenger terminal. However, some clarification is in order over the use of the term "International Airport". Many airports use the International tag, some more appropriately than others.

Here's what I'm getting at. Here in Lafayette, some locals felt we should "promote" ourselves by changing Lafayette Regional Airport to Lafayette International Airport ever since LFT was given International Port of Entry status many years ago. And for several years, FedEx had daily flights from LFT to Monterrey Mexico, as well as daily crew change charters to Ciudad de Carmen Mexico using a couple of thirty-two passenger Dornier regional jets, not to mention frequent international corporate flights as well as vacation charters. The way it works is the operator notifies the regional U.S. Customs office with the estimated time of arrival and the customs officials drive in to provide the clearance.

Not sure if BTR (Baton Rouge Metro Airport) or SHV (Shreveport Regional Airport) have a U.S. Customs office on the field, but I see an even greater level of international arrivals and departures at those airports, probably ranked second and third statewide with a slight edge to SHV due to air cargo.

Point being, the airport name is just that. A name. Nothing is preventing the director of the Houma airport from self-declaring it the Houma International Airport as it is also an International Port of Entry. That's all I'm getting at.

I think AEX can appropriately designate itself as such due to the high volume of military charters. But, for airports such as BTR, SHV and LFT, we'll do so only after securing mainline passenger service across the border...

Hi Jim,

I changed my handle to Greeenback. I am still the same person.

Nice read. You are full of information. I understand what you wrote, I believe. It seems as though you work within this particular industry.

AEX advertises as an International. Let's google it -- here is a basic google search:

alexandria international airport - Google Search

I do not know how many flights that migrate in and out from overseas (or how many countries). I just know I have heard it advertised, and I have checked once or twice some time ago.

Alexandria did do a pretty nice job with its terminal and other additions. It is nice construction, as well as, layout. Although I have not taken the tour in detail, I have seen pictures, videos, and such.

Thank you for the clarification about the names. Alexandria doesn't have the economic development to be known as a major international port, but maybe one day it is possible. Shreveport is more of a household name than Alexandria, so I agree with you on Shreveport's ability to entry, as well its ranking. The main economic attraction for International status is due to its location within the state.

What is your job title and description as it relates to the industry?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post
What is your job title and description as it relates to the industry?
I'm a professional pilot for a Lafayette company, so yeah, I'm kind of into this stuff.

I hope I didn't come across as disrespectful toward Alexandria, because when I reread my post this morning, it sort of seemed that way. It was more directed at airports that declare themselves International if they've seen even one Cessna from across the border. It is generally appropriate to consider an airport an international airport only once it has secured scheduled mainline passenger service, however AEX, and airports like AEX, are the exception. While AEX may not offer scheduled international flights, it sure lands a bunch of heavy metal from overseas, something that BTR, SHV and LFT can't say...

Last edited by JimLFT; 02-08-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I hope Lafayette doesn't get too big, or somebody needs to do some SERIOUS improvement to the infrastructure. I mean the roads are smooth and well constructed but the planning just isn't there. If you live on the Southside the traffic is already awful..imagine the city at 300,000 if they don't totally re-think the grid..scary..
Fortunately, Lafayette has seen a LOT of new road development in the last five to ten years. Just consider how huge a difference the recent 6.5 mile extension of Ambassador Caffery south to Hwy. 90 has made. And now the plans are to extend it north another 9.5 miles. By my calculations, that will total 26 miles from the Zoo of Acadiana to the Hector Connoly exit at I-49!

Too many other additions to mention, but at least the crappy planning here is finally getting some resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana