Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM

20 posts, read 107,353 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm hoping someone will please weigh in on this subject, as I could definitely use some insight. My husband recently got a great job in the area and we are moving from Florida. We are excited and happy about it, but I feel overwhelmed because I don't know much about the area. We have two children, one a boy about to enter high school(and no, he's not super thrilled to change schools at this time!) and the other will be in third grade, so our biggest concerns are schools and good family neighborhoods. Can anyone please tell me if they like Abbeville or Layfayette better? Is Broussard or Youngsville a good option? We're leaning toward the Layfayette area, but will consider a small town as well...and we're not Catholic. Will that be more of a factor in the small towns? Thank you for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Nobody will mind what religion you are. There are a lot of christians and especially catholics, but people wont judge you based on that. Lots of people seem to be moving in and visiting from all over the place, so we are used to it now. Theres even a church of scientology near Scott if youre so inclined.

Some great neighborhoods are along East Bayou Parkway off of Kaliste Saloom, Broadmoor subdivision, behind Lafayette High, and on the Northside (upper Lafayette) a good area is off of Butcher Switch and Gloria Switch roads. Do not live anywhere near University or Evangeline Throughway corridors or off of Louisiana avenue south of Pont Des mouton Road.
Carencro is nice and affordable, but pretty rural. Scott on the west side is nice too, and pretty close to everything down Ambassador Caffery parkway.
Broussard and Youngsville are becoming suburbanized very quickly, but have great access into the heart of Lafayette. You might also consider Breaux Bridge for another small rural awesome cajun town close to the city.
In general, its pretty affordable to live around here but wages are lower as well so that is a consideration. Its an area thats growing and getting lots of neat places to shop, eat, and experience the city. With all the festivals and a growing diversity of food choices aside from Cajun food, this is a great city to call home. You might want to familiarize yourself with the road layout though. Its really not that difficult, but several roads seem to randomly change names at an intersection. Ill also warn you of the speed cameras. There are several, but the intersections are fairly obvious and clearly marked. Lafayette is also putting up a bunch of roundabouts like you would see in Europe. They are pretty easy to navigate and people seem to finally be getting the hang of using them. The city has great nightlife as well.
If you have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask

Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 AM

299 posts, read 641,959 times
Quote:
and we're not Catholic. Will that be more of a factor in the small towns? Thank you for any input!
I'm not Catholic either and live right outside of Lafayette. I really do not think you will have any worries regarding religion within any of the communities of Lafayette Parish and surrounding region.

Quote:
Can anyone please tell me if they like Abbeville or Lafayette better?
Lafayette is much better than Abbeville in my opinion, as it is much bigger with more amenities, cleaner, and safer than Abbeville.

Quote:
our biggest concerns are schools and good family neighborhoods. Can anyone please tell me if they like Abbeville or Lafayette better? Is Broussard or Youngsville a good option?
Clean, safe, cozy, and family oriented neighborhoods far out weigh the slums in all of these towns. I would add Scott to the list as a decent place to live. One of things to know about the Lafayette area is its still a green city that has not turned into a concrete jungle for the most part. And although its growing in population, it has a small town feel to it. A definite plus in my book. One thig I have noticed while living here too, is the absence of gangs roaming the streets in the area. According to a friend who retired from the police force, "We simply do not tolerate them".

Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Yeah there is pretty much no gang activity.
You never read about it in the news and the murder rate is very low.
Usually its confined to domestic violence or drug related and only in very specific areas. Gangs in general are just not tolerated around here.
Regarding the green-ness, A lot of Louisiana towns are like that. I guess it comes from Cajun's preference for rural living style, but all the cities and towns have lots and lots of trees. The subdivisions look like miniature orchards. There is even a large project being built off Camelia boulevard that retains hundred year old oak trees. It definitely beats concrete jungle for me.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks for all the information! I really appreciate it. It's a big move and it's good to get as much information as I possibly can since it will all happen rather quickly once the ball starts rolling.

Are there any bike paths in Lafayette? Is it a bike friendly city? I love hearing about all the trees. Trees and green areas are super important to us.

Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:12 PM

well, there is a pretty lengthy path around Girard park by the University. Its a beautiful park with a pond and some great shaded areas. There is also a bike lane painted onto Johnston Street, but be careful because that is a VERY highly trafficked street. People do bike a lot around here though, so drivers are pretty aware of them. Also, try biking around Broadmoor subdivision. Its in a grid pattern so traffic isnt too heavy and with the schools and church there and parked cars on the sides of the road its safe to walk or bike. I think you'll enjoy Lafayette I really do.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM

That sounds lovely! Where we live now we're able to bike quite a bit, so it'd be nice to continue that to some extent. Does anyone have an opinion about the best public high school in the area? Thanks again!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:10 AM

299 posts, read 641,959 times
Quote:
That sounds lovely! Where we live now we're able to bike quite a bit, so it'd be nice to continue that to some extent. Does anyone have an opinion about the best public high school in the area? Thanks again!

As far as I know Acadiana High School and Comeaux High school are decent schools. But, you may well know that the Louisiana Education system is not of th ehighest quality, unfortunately.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
As far as I know Acadiana High School and Comeaux High school are decent schools. But, you may well know that the Louisiana Education system is not of th ehighest quality, unfortunately.
this is true. If you can, you might want to consider putting your kids into private school. Lafayette High School is honestly not bad though. I went there, and there are honors/gifted level classes that are suitably challenging.
The whole system is somewhat behind though. Not to a stupid degree, but Louisiana was never known for its education system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana