Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,485 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Lafayette in a few months. I have a 7 year old and a 7 month old. I would like for my children to attend public schools, like my wife and I did, but I have read reviews of the public school system and I am very worried about that situation. It looks like Catholic schools will have to be the way to go but I have read mixed reviews about those too. My oldest son will be starting 3rd grade when we arrive and he loves to play sports.

Can people give me their honest review of the catholic elem/middle schools in the Lafayette area. I am interested in a school that is well known for their academics as well as sports program. If we are still in the area for high school, we will enroll in STM high school.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
I'll be honest with you. I attended nothing but public schools in Lafayette and have turned out just fine. In particular, I attended Evangeline Elementary, Acadian Middle, and then Lafayette High School. I would not recommend Acadian, but the other schools are fine, and Lafayette High is actually a great school filled with very helpful and caring teachers. I loved it there. In general I think the reputation of Lafayette public schools is unwarranted. The quality of a school is dependent on the kids who attend it. The most well funded school in town actually failed because of failing test grades. It was one of the newest, with a lot of technology and attention paid into it, and yet the older, under-funded schools fared better. I never attended a catholic/private school myself, so I cannot comment on the quality of the education, but people I know who attended them have not seemed to have any appreciable advantage over my education. It all depends on a child's willingness to learn and succeed, and this can be found just about anywhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I subbed all over the parish in public schools and taught in another for a year, I honestly can tell you the question is where not to go rather than where to go. Lafayette has its act together for the most part with its public schools; I think they could be doing better but they have the best resource of all in the majority of their schools-- good kids from good communities. Since you have a 7 year old, your question regards elementary schools then. Avoid Alice Boucher like the plague, other than the "World Languages Academy" that they have there is just nothing good going for that school. My student teaching mentor through the university has been all over and used to talk about how its really the community's fault on this one...parents come in late with their kids, reeking of liquor...if the parents come at all. It's just a broken place that little neighborhood. I doubt you'd be moving there anyway. JW Faulk is...so-so...once again it draws from some tough areas. Otherwise you should be good to go. If you can land yourself in Milton, Broadmoor or Woodvale's neighborhoods you have absolutely nothing to fear, your kids will probably be getting better than they'd get in private school.

This is my take, from someone who has been all over the parish as a sub and in a not so well reputed high school as a regular teacher.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the information. My wife and I both grew up in a SE Louisiana public school system and my main concern about catholic schools are the lack of diversity of ethnicities. I think growing up in an environment with a good mix of races, will make for a well rounded person.

I am still on the fence between catholic vs. public. I guess I need to get down there and visit the schools to make a better decision.

Does anyone else have any input on either public or catholic schools?

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I went to Dutchtown High and I felt it was pretty diverse. Mainly white, black, and Hispanic but with a good mix of Asians.

I also went to a private school when I was younger. That school was mainly white (Christian Life Academy) but I think its more mixed now.

I prefer public schools, a more down to earth environment and people from backgrounds from rich to poor. Private school kids just don't have a realistic view of life in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
There are plenty of cities where private school is more of a "must-do"-- Lafayette is not one of those places. It's a fabulous place to raise a family and I think your children would be better off in public school. Plenty of affluent families send their kids to public schools here, and it's still a "real world" experience with so much diversity.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Default Update with new questions

I originally started this thread but I have new questions about the Lafayette area.

We recently found a realitor and she has been emailing us listings of homes in and around the area of Lafayette. Alot of homes are in the Youngsville and Broussard area. According to map quest, the commute to Lafayette General Hospital is 5-10 miles depending on where you are coming from. It seems like a fairly close distance but I have read on varioius posts that Lafayette's roads were designed very poorly and traffic congestion is every where, especially during rush hours. What is the typical commute from the Youngsville/ Broussard area?

Also, are the Youngsville/ Broussard areas well developed as far as subdivisions? We currently live in a subdivision and I love the fact that my son can cross the street and play with various friends or they can come over and play at our house. I would like bigger tracts of land but I don't want to live next to a cow pasture.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rub a chub View Post
I originally started this thread but I have new questions about the Lafayette area.

We recently found a realitor and she has been emailing us listings of homes in and around the area of Lafayette. Alot of homes are in the Youngsville and Broussard area. According to map quest, the commute to Lafayette General Hospital is 5-10 miles depending on where you are coming from. It seems like a fairly close distance but I have read on varioius posts that Lafayette's roads were designed very poorly and traffic congestion is every where, especially during rush hours. What is the typical commute from the Youngsville/ Broussard area?

Also, are the Youngsville/ Broussard areas well developed as far as subdivisions? We currently live in a subdivision and I love the fact that my son can cross the street and play with various friends or they can come over and play at our house. I would like bigger tracts of land but I don't want to live next to a cow pasture.

Thanks.
You should probably expect commute times to LGMC during the rush to be roughly 25 to 30 minutes (barring accidents) from those areas, but I'm just speculating as I don't live out there. Fortunately, the main arteries in that area, Hwy 90 and Verot School Rd, are both undergoing widening projects which should offer some relief.

As for subdivisions in those areas, there are MANY and they are all new. Not sure about subdivisions with large lots, though. But if you are suggesting you are open to buying property outside a planned subdivision, that is certainly an option. The good news is that if you were to buy several acres in that area, you would more likely be looking at a neighboring sugarcane field than a cow pasture...

Last edited by JimLFT; 02-28-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 AM

The main reason I worry about the traffic congestion is because my wife will be a physician at Lafayette General. When she is on call and there is an emergency at the hospital, she would have to make it there quickly.

@ JimLFT
I should have known better than to think South Louisiana would have many cow pastures. I grew up close to cane fields but have been away for slightly over 10 years. It was nice to venture out and visit the rest of the state and country but it will be great to be closer to family and friends.

Any other responses to either Lafayette commute time or living in Youngsville?

Thanks.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
You will learn to use backroads a lot. Thats what I have to say on the subject. Traffic is definitely Lafayette's main problem. Its a really great city to live in though, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana