Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,167 times

Advertisements

Hi My name is Melissa. I am seriously looking into moving to Louisiana within the next few months but I am having trouble choosing the right city. Ive heard good things about New Orleans and Baton Rouge but ive also heard random bad things I have lived in several small towns here in Texas my whole life and would love to live in a somewhat larger city with more culture, diversity and things to do. Im about to graduate from a Medical Assisting program and eventually want to further my education to become a RN. I was wondering if anyone had any advice whatsoever in helping me decide on a place that I will be able to have a chance in finding work at a hospital or clinic & where I can maybe rent a affordable house or even apartment that dosent have a reputation for exsessive crime since I will be living totaly alone. I also have a medium sized dog that will be coming with me if that makes a difference. Im really excited to move but worried I might make a bad location desicion that I will regret later. I want a place I can feel comfortable living long term and eventually rasing kids and whatnot.. Ive had to move around alot during my childhood and am just looking for a home base I can plant my roots so to speak. I love being around people and nature and anywhere I can easily walk from place to place is a plus I dont really like driving but will if I have to of course ANY advice is greatly appreciated Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,449 times
HI...we're doing the very same thing. We currently live in DFW and are exhausted on the daily hustle bustle that comes with a HUGE city. Luckily enough we have family we're going to stay with until we sell our house. I'm hoping/praying to have our two boys in school there by Aug 9th.

We'll land in Oakdale which is about 45 min south of Alexandria. Not many people have a lot of good things to say about Alexandria. I haven't spent enough time there to develop an opinion just yet. I do read, however, alot of good things about Lafayette.

We have a type 1 diabetic child, so being close to a good endocrinologist is a must and having a hospital nearby is also.

I hope it all works out for you...I'm sure someone will chime in here soon and give ya some good advice!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 AM

10 posts, read 40,736 times
I lived in Oakdale for a couple years while working as a police officer there. In general the people aren't super friendly to folks who "aren't from around there" good luck with the schools, the elementary was good but most people who could afford the driving took their kids to Elizabeth for middle - high schools.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM

270 posts, read 587,057 times
I would do it in a nano-second. My one conern for you is if you already have a job. The reason I left Louisiana years ago was because of a lack of good jobs. If you have something lined up, or if you are confident in the job market then that's a different story.

If I were you, I would get on Linkedin and start looking for recruiters. Get them on the phone and talk to them and setup interviews. I love Louisiana but I would never move until I had an offer.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
I would do it in a nano-second. My one conern for you is if you already have a job. The reason I left Louisiana years ago was because of a lack of good jobs. If you have something lined up, or if you are confident in the job market then that's a different story.

If I were you, I would get on Linkedin and start looking for recruiters. Get them on the phone and talk to them and setup interviews. I love Louisiana but I would never move until I had an offer.
This is true. I'm considering moving back to New Orleans as of right now. I DON'T have a job, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM

270 posts, read 587,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
This is true. I'm considering moving back to New Orleans as of right now. I DON'T have a job, so I guess it doesn't matter.
That's great. I'm on LinkedIn everyday and making connections for recruiters and professionals with my job title within my industry. I've added around 100 names in just a few months and feel now I'm a lot more plugged in to jobs than i was a few months ago.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 PM

209 posts, read 459,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboysmom View Post
HI...we're doing the very same thing. We currently live in DFW and are exhausted on the daily hustle bustle that comes with a HUGE city. Luckily enough we have family we're going to stay with until we sell our house. I'm hoping/praying to have our two boys in school there by Aug 9th.

We'll land in Oakdale which is about 45 min south of Alexandria. Not many people have a lot of good things to say about Alexandria. I haven't spent enough time there to develop an opinion just yet. I do read, however, alot of good things about Lafayette.

We have a type 1 diabetic child, so being close to a good endocrinologist is a must and having a hospital nearby is also.

I hope it all works out for you...I'm sure someone will chime in here soon and give ya some good advice!

Oakdale, are you serious? serious? serious?

There is a huge detention center in Oakdale..

Fort Worth, went there this June, seems much smaller than Dallas. Feel good about this town..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana