Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,115 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am thinking about moving to Lafayette in the next 12 months or so. I'm mostly concerned about finding a good location within the city. I'd like to be able to be in a safe neighborhood that would allow me to go out and meet new people easily. I currently live in St. Louis, MO near my church and a great park, which I love to run in daily. I just turned thirty and am newly single so if you have any insight to the dating scene, that would be lovely, too!

I'm not too concerned about finding a job as I am flexible and can market my skills well. I have family in the Lafayette suburbs, Jennings, and Baton Rouge so I'll have plenty of moral support. My apartment/house budget should me no higher than $1000/month. I know Lafayette isn't known as a walking city but do certain areas have high walking scores?

Can't wait to hear from you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Hi. Im pretty busy this week with working but Ill try to answer any queations you have.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
I'd like to know of answers to those questions too. Thinking about relocating there if I can find a job there. To the OP, there's Girard Park near the UL campus that has a running path, also there was a greenbelt/horticulture area around the CajunDome that is good for running and walking. That's where I went for evening runs during my internship over the summer there.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I'd like to know of answers to those questions too. Thinking about relocating there if I can find a job there. To the OP, there's Girard Park near the UL campus that has a running path, also there was a greenbelt/horticulture area around the CajunDome that is good for running and walking. That's where I went for evening runs during my internship over the summer there.
The city is finalizing plans to build a large park at the former horse farm off Johnston Street.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:45 AM

Please refer to these threads where several have already posted much about Lafayette. Keep in mind the city continues to change on a daily basis as new things are being built all the time.
For example, World Market just opened and soon a shopping center with CostCo will be breaking ground.
There are a few refurnished places even for young artists to live and create works and the city has lots of plans for more walkable and bikeable areas. Lots is happening here!

Thoughts about Lafayette...
Lafayette: Life and An Endless Bombardment of Questions
Lafayette, visiting then moving if i can convince the husband, HELP!

Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 AM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
For example, World Market just opened and soon a shopping center with CostCo will be breaking ground.
I think you mean the Whole Foods that just opened. World Market has been in that area for a few years now.

Have they broken ground yet on the Costco development? It's been a couple of months since I've been down that way.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
I can check on that, when I go to Lafayette for Thanksgiving coming up...

Old 10-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
I think you mean the Whole Foods that just opened. World Market has been in that area for a few years now.

Have they broken ground yet on the Costco development? It's been a couple of months since I've been down that way.
Sorry yeah meant Whole Foods. I posted that after a long work night.

the CostCo hasnt started yet but will be located near the Ambassador 14 cinema.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:05 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Since you asked about the dating scene, I'll just be upfront and tell you that it currently sucks and you are a lot better off driving to New Orleans for the weekend if you are looking to meet single women that are actually worthwhile for dating, since most women in the 25-30 age bracket are either already engaged, have kids, or have relocated from the area. Also with the exception of the area around Downtown, UL, and River Ranch the city isn't very accommodating to pedestrians either and many streets lack sidewalks. That being said though if you are looking for jobs in oil and gas the area is currently one of the best places to be, and is partially responsible for the economic boom that is currently taking place there.

Last edited by beasley106; 10-29-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana