Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am trying to get more information about the town of Ruston. I see that it is kinda small. It is a desirable place? What is the commute like to Monroe or Shreveport?

Also I would like info on Monroe, LA. What is that city like? I know it's about 30 miles east of Ruston so that is why I am interested. I can commute for internships. Is it a clean, safe place? What are prices like for apartments? what are jobs like? thanks all

Daniel_T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM

36 posts, read 239,746 times
Ruston is a very nice town. It is small but, packed with alot of people because of Louisiana Tech. Construction has really been booming in the years in Ruston.

I do not know alot about Monroe. I get the news from Monroe and crime does not seem to be a problem. Just like any city, it has it's good areas and bad areas. Monroe is closer to Ruston than Shreveport. Shreveport is suppose to be the "most dangerous big city in the South" and I would probably agree. Bossier City is alot better and is just over the river from S'port.

You may want to do a search on "Monroe Louisiana Newspapers" and the same for Ruston. That will give you a good idea of appartment costs and job listings.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Thanks much for replying. Didn't think anybody would. I didn't know Shreveport was so dangerous. I haven't much good things about Monroe either.

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM

I just joined and I live about 30 minutes to the west of Ruston and go there often. I am also in the process of moving but, I am going north of Little Rock, Arkansas. We were considering moving to Ruston but, ready to get out of LA.

I had pulled up a website the other day for an online Ruston newspaper but, do not have that link handy. You can just run a search and find it.

Will you be going to Tech?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Yeah, that's where I want to go. The reason I ask about Shreveport and Monroe, is because I would need to intern there while in college. You are right, Ruston looks like a very nice place.

is it fair to compare LA to AR? I've been to Little Rock and around AR.

Daniel

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM

I take it you will be doing your internship at LSUS in Shreveport?

I would say it would be fair to compare North LA with Southern Arkansas, below LR as far as how it looks, cost of living and racial make up.

I am thinking it is about a 30 or 40 minute drive from Ruston to Monroe/West Monroe and then about an hour and 15 minutes from Ruston to Shreveport. Both accessable by I-20. Shreveport is only dangerous in certain areas now, don't get the wrong impression. However, it does have a high crime rate and if you do your intern at LSUS, you will be able to see first hand, especially in the ER.

When will you be coming to Tech? Oh yea, there are alot of pretty ladies in the Ruston area!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 PM

when I intern it would be at a tv station. not at a college. I want to major in journalism and that major requires an internship in that career field. I don't think Ruston has their own network tv stations, they are all based out of either Shreveport or Monroe. I want to start TECH in January 2009 as a transfer student. It's either TECH or University of Louisiana Lafayette.

Daniel

Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Gotcha. And I believe you are correct about Ruston not having a tv station. Monroe and S'port does. If you do go to S'port for your internship, you can check for places to live in Bossier City and/or Haughton. Haughton is a really nice community and about 15 minutes from Bossier/S'port.

I have friends in Lafayette and it seems to be a descent big city. It did get rough when the hurricanes came thru with all the people moving around but, has settled down. He is over a security alarm company and says they are always looking for help.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Hi there, I got your PM. Thanks for the invite. I appreciate that. Any info I can get will greatly help my decision on coming to LA.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Thanks much for replying. Didn't think anybody would. I didn't know Shreveport was so dangerous. I haven't much good things about Monroe either.

Thanks,
Daniel
Shreveport is dangerous in certain neighborhoods, but it's less common for the bad things to spill over into decent areas. It happens, but not every day. Mostly people in Shreveport are safe... just stay out of the ghettos. Honestly, it's the same story in Monroe.

Depending on your field, you might make more money in Shreveport than in Monroe. Not sure what your field is, but definitely look at both cities evenly. And don't hesitate to consider Bossier over Shreveport. Bossier is more progressive and growing extremely fast, and the overall and violent crime rates are lower as well.

Last edited by SBCmetroguy; 02-04-2008 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana