Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 PM

289 posts, read 305,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
I have been busy community building for the past week and just found the time to see what people stuck inside on their computers are doing lately.

Can you explain this gap in more detail using real world experiences in your own community Chance and Change?

Where does Chance and Change fit in with this gap?

I see a gap growing between the online/inside society and those who are outside working with the very people you are talking about. While many online personalities think they are having an effect with their political discussions, their thinking is actually flawed because the online audience is still a small percentage of actual citizens in Louisiana. In my case, you have simply attracted the attention of a conservative community organizer in Louisiana that discusses your view points in a joking manner to the outside public to show how dangerous liberal thinking really is.
Funny, though, how it's that "dangerous liberal thinking" and the states following it that are doing the best, overall. You'd think if "liberal thinking" was such a bad thing, the North-East, Mid-Atlantic, South Florida, West Coast, and upper Mid-West would be terrible places on the brink of collapse. And yet, they mainly seem to be supporting the South/South-West/Great Plains, which are crumbling in front of our eyes. Funny how that happens.

And don't point to Detroit as a counter-example. Detroit has been screwed since the 60's, no matter who was in power, and frankly doesn't counteract that almost all the states with median incomes above the national average lean heavily blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Default How to dramatically decrease theft and gun violence

I will elaborate if necessary:

(1) Decriminalize drugs
(2) Shrink the income inequality gap
(3) Offer college education for free
(4) Provide health care for free

Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,887 times
Louisiana has the highest incarceration in the country over the last 17 straight years. It's hard to believe that the focus has been on locking up violent criminals in this state when the murder rate has been the highest in the country over the last 26 straight years.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:17 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Louisiana has the highest incarceration in the country over the last 17 straight years. It's hard to believe that the focus has been on locking up violent criminals in this state when the murder rate has been the highest in the country over the last 26 straight years.
And the state has the death penalty too. Has not worked well. Nothing has worked in actually getting the crime rates down to low levels.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:48 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
source?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the state has the death penalty too. Has not worked well. Nothing has worked in actually getting the crime rates down to low levels.
They aren't interested in that. Rehabilitation and actual corrections doesn't keep people in the system, hence, the system loses out on money. There is no money for campaign donors in low crime rates and model citizens. This is why mandatory minimums exist and why people romanticize the "tough on crime" mantra.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
source?
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2014 The Disaster Center

Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
annie how many people have been falsely executed? Total, ever? Versus - How many people have been murdered by criminals that either have murdered before or attempted murder? I am guessing they're not even close to equal. So.. please explain your logic to a family that lost someone from a recidivist. Executing a murderer will get no tear from me. If you want to call me a thug for it well great. #thuglife

Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
They aren't interested in that. Rehabilitation and actual corrections doesn't keep people in the system, hence, the system loses out on money. There is no money for campaign donors in low crime rates and model citizens. This is why mandatory minimums exist and why people romanticize the "tough on crime" mantra.
agree, privatized prisons create incentive to increase, not decrease crime. And also agree with you packing people in like rats with other murderers to harden up then releasing them is basically guaranteeing they will kill again.

For nonviolent offenders I don't think they should go to prison at all. Ever. Prison record makes you unemployable. Then what do you do for food money, except crime?

Murderers are a different category. I think they should be summarily executed upon being found guilty. Perhaps at a higher legal standard, beyond a shadow of a doubt, even a shadow of a shadow.

Perhaps start by putting them on a remote island. Maybe if new evidence has not shown up to clear their name after say 5 years...they are then killed. Probably to make it affordable, they would be killed remotely, by a drone. Sounds evil, but way less evil then 1) wars 2) murderers that get out and kill again. If this were a system in place we had I know I'd sleep better and have a crystal clear conscience about it too.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
annie how many people have been falsely executed? Total, ever? Versus - How many people have been murdered by criminals that either have murdered before or attempted murder? I am guessing they're not even close to equal. So.. please explain your logic to a family that lost someone from a recidivist. Executing a murderer will get no tear from me. If you want to call me a thug for it well great. #thuglife
This isn't even relevant.

Have you seen Making a Murderer? It happens FAR more than you realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana