Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Party all the time?
Quite often! But its the optimism and attitude of the people too. The city has an exciting vibe, and a very obvious joie de vivre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
So, anything else I should know about that part of the state as an outsider?
Don't say no when someone offers you food!

Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Don't say no when someone offers you food!
I actually can validate this!

When I was in Mississippi back in January something similar happened. He was, well an internet friend of mine who I met while I was out there. He was soused to the gills, getting off from his shift at the rest home and offering me a bigazz dinner right there on the spot.

I was so shocked by what he offered I couldn't say no.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Soused to the gills I'm assuming means he was pretty drunk?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Soused to the gills I'm assuming means he was pretty drunk?
Oh yeah, he was drunk alright.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:01 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
I'm fishing for opinions in general job growth, affordability and safety in these two towns.

Any info would be appreciated. First-hand accounts and opinions would be greatly helpful.
Homeowner's insurance is going to kill you in the southern part of Louisiana. And high sales taxes. And parts of Louisiana tax groceries, while most other areas in the country don't. And there's a state income tax, albeit small. The property taxes are very low, but that is more than made up for by the other taxes. And ALL of a property tax bill is deductible on your federal return, but homeowner's insurance is not. HO insurance is double what I paid in Dallas and what it is in Tyler TX. And there aren't many insurers who will sell HO insurance below I-10 or thereabouts. It's a natural disaster area.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Homeowner's insurance is going to kill you in the southern part of Louisiana. And high sales taxes. And parts of Louisiana tax groceries, while most other areas in the country don't. And there's a state income tax, albeit small. The property taxes are very low, but that is more than made up for by the other taxes. And ALL of a property tax bill is deductible on your federal return, but homeowner's insurance is not. HO insurance is double what I paid in Dallas and what it is in Tyler TX. And there aren't many insurers who will sell HO insurance below I-10 or thereabouts. It's a natural disaster area.
Good to know. I did realize that all along I-10 there would be a bit of a problem.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM

I quit my job here earlier this month. I'm down to picking three towns to move to in 3 states.

Broussard, Breaux Bridge or Pineville in Louisiana.

Tupelo, MS.

Dickson, TN.

I need a really compelling argument for Louisiana.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
I quit my job here earlier this month. I'm down to picking three towns to move to in 3 states.

Tupelo, MS.

Dickson, TN.

I would pick Louisiana if you like awesome food and a relaxed culture. Those are the main features.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:47 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,039 times
Quote:

Tupelo, MS.

Dickson, TN.

A lot of development is heading towards Broussard. Breaux bridge is a quaint Cajun tiwn. Pineville is a typical southern town without much southern louisiana flavor but its pretty scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana