Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times

Advertisements

We live on the Northshore. Had to go to Baton Rouge yesterday, unexpectedly for medical reason. Was shocked at how much traffic was on the highway in Baton Rouge. It appears people are not taking the stay at home/shelter in place order seriously. Really sad. I expect the numbers to jump dramatically in our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 04:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
My daughter and her husband live in Houma. She went to go buy a replacement battery for their thermometer at Wal-Mart the other day. Somebody had the wise idea to mark TV sets down half price. The line was unbelievably long. Just really stupid to drag people in for a sale when they are not supposed to be out grouping together. I swear!

Old 03-27-2020, 05:27 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,492 times
I was shocked to see Lousiana's death rate (as of today, anyway...it will change) is #3 in the country, following New York (519), and Washington (149) with NJ behind Louisiana with 108.

"...Louisiana: 2,746 (including 119 deaths).."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/healt...ate/index.html

Scroll down to see the alphabetical list of cases and deaths.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I was shocked to see Lousiana's death rate (as of today, anyway...it will change) is #3 in the country, following New York (519), and Washington (149) with NJ behind Louisiana with 108.

While certainly cause for concern, I caution that death rate statistics are generally meaningless as way more people have this thing than are being tested, either because their symptoms are mild and they are assumed to be from something else or because they are asymptomatic or because mass testing just isn't being done to confirm positive cases (I don't know if the last part is true or not).

Old 03-30-2020, 12:54 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,492 times
Actually, many news stories are now coming out that Mardi Gras has caused LA numbers to spike. So perhaps that's it. Seems like the perfect storm for the virus.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAo&uact=5

Old 03-30-2020, 02:32 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post

Sounds like Governor Edwards is matching Governor Cuomo in INeffectiveness!! WHY, WHY, WHY did these Democrats WAIT SO LONG to do something to keep people from catching the virus?? Trump has 50 states, plus China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, Hollywood, and the leftist media to worry about and deal with---ALL at the same time!! These two governors had just their own ONE state to worry about! Trump 2020

Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Sounds like Governor Edwards is matching Governor Cuomo in INeffectiveness!! WHY, WHY, WHY did these Democrats WAIT SO LONG to do something to keep people from catching the virus?? Trump has 50 states, plus China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, Hollywood, and the leftist media to worry about and deal with---ALL at the same time!! These two governors had just their own ONE state to worry about! Trump 2020
Moderator cut: off topic
It is only after testing that decisive action can be taken. Early testing of a LOT of people identifies any clusters so they can be isolated to prevent spreading. This wasn't done. The U.S. still doesn't have enough tests. (Why Trump can offer to sell tests to N. Korea and another country, as N. Korea said, when we don't have enough for ourselves is baffling. What's that about?)

As I recall, the governors of the states got concerned when it hit their states...after testing became available. That is logical. Gov Edwards started acting decisively when the first tests came in showing just 9 people had the virus. He was working on it & issuing warnings before then. But he started daily reports of the virus, showing that it was doubling almost daily. He and a team were meeting daily, acting on plans, working on healthcare services, getting equipment, planning, etc. The cases were mostly contained in the SE parishes, mainly New Orleans. When it started spreading to other parishes in significant numbers, he issued stay-at-home orders. My parish had only a few cases, when he issued that order. We now have about 50 cases, I think. Calcasieu Parish is by & large adhering to stay-at-home orders, but we have a lot of essential services that are still ongoing (the plants, for one, which employ thousands, and related services to the plants).

Edwards has proven to be the right Governor at the right time. I shudder to think how bad things would be if Jindal were still Governor or that guy who ran against Edwards. I'm impressed w/the steps Edwards has taken, incl. a timely request to declare a state of emergency (or whatever it's called), which the fed did. He's done a great job.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-08-2020 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Moderator cut: off topic
It is only after testing that decisive action can be taken. Early testing of a LOT of people identifies any clusters so they can be isolated to prevent spreading. This wasn't done. The U.S. still doesn't have enough tests. (Why Trump can offer to sell tests to N. Korea and another country, as N. Korea said, when we don't have enough for ourselves is baffling. What's that about?)

As I recall, the governors of the states got concerned when it hit their states...after testing became available. That is logical. Gov Edwards started acting decisively when the first tests came in showing just 9 people had the virus. He was working on it & issuing warnings before then. But he started daily reports of the virus, showing that it was doubling almost daily. He and a team were meeting daily, acting on plans, working on healthcare services, getting equipment, planning, etc. The cases were mostly contained in the SE parishes, mainly New Orleans. When it started spreading to other parishes in significant numbers, he issued stay-at-home orders. My parish had only a few cases, when he issued that order. We now have about 50 cases, I think. Calcasieu Parish is by & large adhering to stay-at-home orders, but we have a lot of essential services that are still ongoing (the plants, for one, which employ thousands, and related services to the plants).

Edwards has proven to be the right Governor at the right time. I shudder to think how bad things would be if Jindal were still Governor or that guy who ran against Edwards. I'm impressed w/the steps Edwards has taken, incl. a timely request to declare a state of emergency (or whatever it's called), which the fed did. He's done a great job.
Agree completely. Governor Edwards has done a very good job. Trump even said he was doing a good job.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-08-2020 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
It’s sad to me that drive thru daiquiri businesses and liquor stores are considered essential businesses here in Louisiana. I’m currently on the night shift at the hospital and drive past a liquor store on my way to work. Every evening the police aren’t making an arrest that parking lot is full. The roads to and from work are just as busy as before the order at that time of the night.

While some here are blaming Trump or Edwards, I blame China and the WHO. China minimized the severity of the virus and outbreak for months even after local doctors in the area tried to get the warning out and the WHO parroted the official Chinese government’s statements. Government leaders were initially making decisions based upon the official statements from the WHO. When Trump initiated a travel ban from China some in the press called him a racist for doing so. Nation and state leaders can only act upon the information they’re given at the time and the recommendations from those they trust. Monday morning coaching a Sunday game will always show the mistakes coaches and players made but those Monday morning coaches weren’t on the field at the time of the game to know what the players and coaches knew. I don’t like Edwards and I don’t like drive thru daiquiri stores and liquor stores being allowed open but I don’t know what information he was given to make this decision. Perhaps there was a valid reason or perhaps it was an intense lobbying effort on the part of the alcohol industry representatives.

It’s the town, parish, and state’s responsibility to make the initial responses to the best of their abilities and resources and then make targeted appeals to other states and or federal government for specific assistance. Don’t attack the sitting president while at the same time begging for help. That’s counter productive and is just partisan politics.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
How is a town or county/parish is supposed to know how to approach a pandemic?
The state government doesn't have power to close private businesses either I'm pretty sure, that's part of the whole small government ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana