Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 07:46 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Alabama in the 1990s, I visited Louisiana many times. One of my co-workers from Louisiana told me that out of state drivers were sometimes stopped for minor infractions, so I set my cruise control barely above the speed limit, maybe +2 mph. I usually stayed in the right lane unless I had to get around a slower moving vehicle, but I never got a ticket. I was sure to use turn signals too. I saw more Louisiana troopers on the interstates than what I was accustomed to in Alabama or Georgia, so I figured they had a ticket quota to fill or something like that. I'm sure they knew that out of state drivers were less likely to show up in court to contest the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 04:55 PM

1,982 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
When I lived in Alabama in the 1990s, I visited Louisiana many times. One of my co-workers from Louisiana told me that out of state drivers were sometimes stopped for minor infractions, so I set my cruise control barely above the speed limit, maybe +2 mph. I usually stayed in the right lane unless I had to get around a slower moving vehicle, but I never got a ticket. I was sure to use turn signals too. I saw more Louisiana troopers on the interstates than what I was accustomed to in Alabama or Georgia, so I figured they had a ticket quota to fill or something like that. I'm sure they knew that out of state drivers were less likely to show up in court to contest the ticket.
I have heard the police treat out-of-state drivers with less leniency, but I have yet to observe it. Though I believe it is true. Or police stop certain color vehicles more often or certain model vehicles, etc. like sports cars.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:09 PM

370 posts, read 446,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I can't help but wonder this. At what speed do you start risk getting pulled over? I do 75 - 77. I try to stay out of 80 but I do see people doing it.

I care about my family and the lives of all people too much to be caught speeding on I-10.

If you cared about the lives of others you would not be posting such inflammatory remarks about speeding for fun in public.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I have heard the police treat out-of-state drivers with less leniency, but I have yet to observe it. Though I believe it is true. Or police stop certain color vehicles more often or certain model vehicles, etc. like sports cars.
Actually, this would depend on what state issued the license, I think. I was stopped by a trooper On I-55 just south of the state line just before I moved here. Speed limits were 55 MPH at the time; his radar caught me doing 68 MPH, and I knew I was caught because my radar detector went off when the trooper turned on his gun. I handed him my Pennsylvania license to which he said that Louisiana had no reciprocity with Pennsylvania, so he let me go with a warning.

Most of my speeding tickets for the years after I moved here were over in Texas around Lufkin and Nacogdoches where the cops are very strict.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Actually, this would depend on what state issued the license, I think. I was stopped by a trooper On I-55 just south of the state line just before I moved here. Speed limits were 55 MPH at the time; his radar caught me doing 68 MPH, and I knew I was caught because my radar detector went off when the trooper turned on his gun. I handed him my Pennsylvania license to which he said that Louisiana had no reciprocity with Pennsylvania, so he let me go with a warning.

Most of my speeding tickets for the years after I moved here were over in Texas around Lufkin and Nacogdoches where the cops are very strict.
Makes sense.

It also may depend on who the officer is that pulls you over. If you get the hardass every time who goes by the book, there may be little wiggle room for letting you off with a warning.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
I'll be honest with you. I have been given a warning by sheriff's deputies, but never by a state trooper. Unless you are real fortunate, rest assured that the state will write you a ticket.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I'll be honest with you. I have been given a warning by sheriff's deputies, but never by a state trooper. Unless you are real fortunate, rest assured that the state will write you a ticket.
As well he/she should.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Yep. It is the state troopers that use radar on the interstate? Not the sheriff's deputies, correct?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Yep. It is the state troopers that use radar on the interstate? Not the sheriff's deputies, correct?
All entities use radar on the interstate. Just watch your speed around Jennings and Welsh. Their police works the interstate too. Jennings likes to target out of state vehicles, I've been told. I guess they forgotten about the "Dateline" segment where Jefferson Davis Parish were investigated for targeting out of state vehicles.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
I'm sure they all use radar. Just saying after having been pulled over by deputies, I've never been ticketed. I guess I was lucky. OTOH, La state troopers will write tickets all day long. If a driver doesn't get a ticket from one, they must be a brother-in-law.

I have seen drivers speeding past troopers before and never get stopped. Were busy talking on the phone or too lazy to go after the offender. That's not the kind of luck I had with them. Anyway, keep alert as they can be unpredictable. Especially with out of state tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana