Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

I hear people talk about the friend zone or the non friend zone, which would be romantic or sexual. But there is also an in between zone that can last for weeks, months or years. This is a friendship with flirting or an ulterior motive friendship. I have had several experiences like this. I'm wondering if this is common. Share your experiences if you have experienced this type of relationship or phase of relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I hear people talk about the friend zone or the non friend zone, which would be romantic or sexual. But there is also an in between zone that can last for weeks, months or years. This is a friendship with flirting or an ulterior motive friendship. I have had several experiences like this. I'm wondering if this is common. Share your experiences if you have experienced this type of relationship or phase of relationship.
Well, that's what many do with their so-called "friends" of the opposite gender. Backburner attention and ego boost that can start a fire at any given time. In the meantime, their naive and dumb partners cheer them up for having friends of the opposite gender.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Eh, the in between zone is where you put them when you've got several going at the same time and trying to decide, or it's where you put them when you're waiting to see if the one you really like is going to ask you out.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 AM

128 posts, read 253,086 times
The longest lasting, happiest romantic relationships are those between 'best friends'. Anyone worried about being 'friend-zoned' isn't looking for a real relationship, they just wanna get laid. Which is fine if that's all you want, but if you want real love, be willing - even eager - to be a friend first.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 AM

142 posts, read 238,528 times
For years I had a platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex. There was lots of flirting, we went out alone together and to family gatherings, we cooked for each other. Everybody assumed we were partners in the sexual sense. But there was never anything physical between us beyond a kiss on the cheek

Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
When Harry Met Sally.

For many people, it's one or the other. In fact for many if someone is considered a friend starts trying to cross into the romantic partner region, it won't happen and the friendship ends.

A good buddy is one category, a lover is another. A buddy can become a real love - and the best marriages are between friends-and-lovers.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
This is usually where you end up when you don't have enough game to advance to the sexual stage of the relationship, but you have enough to prevent being relegated to "the friend zone". This is where alot of "nice guys" end up. A friend of a friend of mine is going through this right now with a girl he's been pursuing for about 3 months. She clearly sees potential LTR in him but he's got a very submissive and obedient attitude about him so she is keeping him in play while she is getting some NSA action from the proverbial bad boy before she is ready to settle down.

I've tried helping the poor clueless bastard, but sadly I think he's beyond help.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
um hm. that third zone exists. i find myself there when a guy is interested in me but he has other things going. it's a frustrating place to be but best for me to not act upon in a romantic way. i've always said that i don't want to be part of anyone's harem. better to lean it towards the friend zone until he's ready for a commitment.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
um hm. that third zone exists. i find myself there when a guy is interested in me but he has other things going. it's a frustrating place to be but best for me to not act upon in a romantic way. i've always said that i don't want to be part of anyone's harem. better to lean it towards the friend zone until he's ready for a commitment.
Yes, I should think that the worst thing you could do is to hang around with that hopeful attitude. Best to keep busy with other things and the thing is, there could be a way out of it, b/c the lover in question may get to know you better and decide that you are the one, esp if they're new to dating and have 3 or 4 going.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
If there is an in between zone, that's good news for me. Here I was thinking I got put in the friend zone. But maybe that's not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships