Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times

Advertisements

I just thought we could share ideas/tips for life after a hurricane. Here are a few of mine:

1. Love tiki torches; they help on those moonless nights. Set up a table, chairs surrounded by tikis and play poker, bourre(sp) or whatever.

2. Love kerosene(sp) lamps, no batteries or recharging necessary.

3. Love ice chests. They make great tables, step stools, storage chests, water containers, foot rests, luggage, and of course ice chests.

4. Themed dinners. Post-K neighbors would hold pot luck dinners. For example you could have fallen log cake, Gustav goulash, FEMA fish, etc. These dinners helped with morale. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself and your circumstances. Everyone else will think you're insane, just an added benefit.

5. Watch someone try to make their first MRE and don't warn them about the hot pack. Avoid the Country Captain Chicken, (ugh), but the jambalya with the tiny Tabasco is decent and those cheese packs are really good. Don't forget to dig for the peanut M&Ms!

6. Take 2 MRE hot packs, put them in a 16oz bottle... okay I'd better not teach ya'll that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 03:50 PM

I don't know about ya'll but as prepared as I thought I was, there were a couple things that I overlooked. Now would be a good time to make an emergency binder or add to your lists. It should have phone numbers, addresses, and lists of evacuation items you don't want to forget, medications, doctor names, things to do before you go lists, what you need if you stay, web addresses for local news and gov. sites, pet needs, etc.

I had a cute little notebook with my lists all ready to go and then couldn't find it, (typical), so another hint would be to keep it where you can find it.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Most awesome and unique survival tips, Drouzin. I assure you I'll be putting most of those to use in the event of another storm in the near future. I just hope it isn't next week, with Ike.
If we can't amuse ourselves during times like this, we'd all cry.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks Daryl, let's hope Ike fizzles out though it's unlikely. I think I'm going to make a fallen log cake and deliver it to someone special who lives in the 100 Oaks area along with some ice

Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM

Cake and ice, a beautiful combination (and practical necessities) after a hurricane.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,590 times
OK, I'll bite....What is fallen log cake?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Well, I'm making it up as I go, but will try to make a thin kinda sheet cake, spread chocolate icing and roll it up like one of those yule log cakes. Ice the outside with chocolate icing and stick in some chocolate covered pretzles for branches and still working on how to do leaves, maybe some kind of green fruit rollup cut in leaf shapes or gum paste or... Any suggestions?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 PM

That's almost how I had it pictured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana