Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 AM

71 posts, read 111,632 times

Advertisements

Im a 27 year old female moving to Lafayette, La for work in the oil industry. Im moving from a beach town of 100,000 in NC. I have never been to the area or to the deep south at all. I have been looking online for apartments to rent and it seems really high. I would like a nice place that isnt a college apartment.

What areas of town should I be checking out?
Should I try for Lafayette or areas outside of town?

Im looking for an area with other young professionals and with stuff to do.

What kind of stuff is there to do? Im very into the outdoors and have no problem with the heat.

Any advice or help would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Southern Louisiana isnt a very ideal place for outdoor activities. The youth oriented nightlife is actually pretty good, and theres plenty to do around town, but in terms of outdoors you are kind of limited to thingsl ike hunting, fishing, or swimming. There are a couple hiking nature trails near the parks and nature station, and Girard park is a good place to go for a run, but besides that, cant think of much. Around springtime, definitely go down to Avery Island and view the gardens there and the Tabasco plant. Neat place and only about 30 minute drive.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:04 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
^^^????

South Louisiana isn't a very ideal place for outdoor activities??

Hunting, fishing, swimming, running, gardening, boating. Now I'll give you one--the closest decent hiking to Lafayette is in the Felicianas but other than that, South La is very, very outdoor friendly.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
^^^????

South Louisiana isn't a very ideal place for outdoor activities??

Hunting, fishing, swimming, running, gardening, boating. Now I'll give you one--the closest decent hiking to Lafayette is in the Felicianas but other than that, South La is very, very outdoor friendly.
when I think of outdoors, I think of stuff I did in the mountains as a Boy SCout. HIking, camping, canoeing, whitewater, scaling rock cliffs...that sort of thing. NOt much of that around here.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
when I think of outdoors, I think of stuff I did in the mountains as a Boy SCout. HIking, camping, canoeing, whitewater, scaling rock cliffs...that sort of thing. NOt much of that around here.
Doesn't make us less outdoorsy just because we have different activities.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Doesn't make us less outdoorsy just because we have different activities.
And by Louisiana standards, Tunica Hills comes close. There is also Longleaf Vista up in Natchitoches Parish

Old 12-23-2009, 12:28 AM

4 posts, read 13,610 times
carencro, scott, duson, youngsville, breaux bridge, st martinville all are smaller (towns)areas right outside Lafayette that will be cheaper than lafayette city... esp those that are closest to the college ULL. (university of Louisiana at Lafayette )
lafayette is a growing little big city
We always have festivals almost EACH MONTH!
yes, there are various things to do here.
its mostly humid & warm so outdoor sports are in season often...
good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana