Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM

16 posts, read 59,343 times

Advertisements

You should not have any problems. South LA is a mixture of cultures and always has been. Lafayette definitely has a mixed culture. In fact you mention zydeco. Zydeco is a mixture of Cajun and African influence. I actually have multiracial family members from the Lafayette area, and they do not have problems that I know of. I can not imagine anyone reacting strangely because your group has people of different colors. I have all types of friends: white, black, Hispanic, Arab, Asian etc. We go places together and do things together all of the time in South LA, and we do not have problems. People that assume that all parts of the South are prejudiced are wrong. In fact the Gulf South in particular has very friendly and tolerant people. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,469 times
You will have a fabulous time. People in this area are great. Don't miss a Zydeco Breakfast at Cafe Des Amis in Breaux Bridge from around 7am-11am... look for Cafe Des Amis, Breaux Bridge La on youtube... some great vids and will give you an idea of just how much fun one can fit into a morning! Also, a good time to go to Lafayette is during their International Festival - you will love it!
{ Home : Festival International de Louisiane }

Here are some links of Lafayette and surrounding areas:

LCVC- Lafayette Convention and Visitors Commission - Visitors

Where to Go for Live Cajun and Zydeco Music in Lafayette, LA - - FabulousTravel.com

Mix of cajun / zydeco bands - check out their calendar:
BLUE MOON SALOON & GUESTHOUSE • World Famous Honky Tonk (http://www.bluemoonpresents.com/site/home.html - broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM

33 posts, read 122,361 times
Thank you so very, very much! This is really great!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Matter of fact, thank all of y'all! These responses have been extremely interesting and helpful!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,825 times
The Zydeco Hall of Fame

Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM

151 posts, read 299,596 times
Was down there with my mother a little less than a year ago and had a great time. No problems at all. I love Louisiana and wish to move back one day. *sigh*

Old 07-10-2010, 03:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,227,464 times
Yo, how come the OP never updated? Did he make the trip? If so, how was it?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,021 times
If you're in bumf___ Northern Louisiana you might get some uneasy looks from people, but Acadiana is honestly more tolerant than New Orleans, kid you not. I grew up in the N.O. but went to college in Lafayette, there are more light-skinned people of color than anywhere I've seen. There are more "Cajun", "White" people who clearly are mixed. The flag of the black community in Acadiana has two African emblems and a French and Spanish coat of arms. Please come and enjoy it down here, and tell your friends we're not stuck on stupid. Bet you people up North have more (hidden) racial issues than us

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

Thank everybody for your posts!
We had a WONDERFUL TIME! As you all said, the Cajuns are some aggressively friendly people!
We went to a festival in Eunice, and people surrounded us and stared in horror as we incompetently struggled to shell our crawfish. Several heroes then moved in to expertly demonstrate and rescue us from wasting five pounds of tasty mudcat.
It was one of many examples, both in N.O. and in Acadiana, of people stopping us to show us around, explain their culture and demonstrate their pride. This experience has made the oil disaster a little more personal for me, and it's hard for me, a grown man, not to weep whenever I think about what BP hath wrought...
A couple of other notes: one of our group, who is Filipina, is a wonderful Cajun dancer and really impressed the locals at the festival. One lady kept coming up and asking her if she was American Indian. From the festival, we headed to Henderson to that wonderful club on the levee (Angie's Whiskey River?) where you dance as you watch whitecaps form on the Atchafalaya... The great Geno Delafose got down for about five hours without a break. As one poster pointed out, it's not that easy to find an integrated social scene up North, but at this place everybody was jamming together, black, white, old, young, cowboy types, hipsters... nobody had an attitude, and everybody could dance!
Vive la Lousiane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana