Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
It's doable. Us jeep drivers do it all the time! Actually, many cars without A/C still have the vent feature that will help you get some outside air in. It won't 'cool' you down, but the moving air will help. Also, you'll learn about what southerners call the "2-55 A/C system"; two windows down while going 55 mph. And if you have a four door, you'll be lucky enough to get to experience that fancy upgraded "4-55 system".

Make sure you keep some cool-looking cheap sunglasses in your car for when you're stuck in traffic. You'll be miserable, but if you put on the sunglasses and smile, you can make it look like you're just enjoying the weather.
Concur completely regarding sunglasses!

Yet, even with my four-door truck, windows open is useful in the first two minutes in order to flush out the two-hundred degree air. After that, the AC saves the day. And I mean FULL BLAST AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,145 times
I lived on the coast for the first 45 years of my life, moved to TN in 2005.

There, about mid-June, the heat becomes miserable, starting daily by mid-morning and lasting until well after dark. July and August are the worst. By about mid-September, in most years, you get a cool front that will take the 'edge' off. I've told my family the only way I'm coming back in July or August is if someone has died and I have to be at the funeral.

Park in the shade when you can, crack your windows if possible, wear light clothing, sunscreen and bug repellant when outside for any amount of time, stay hydrated, and pray for rain. The only problem with the rain is that it will make the humidity worse afterwards, unless it is late in the pm.

I would NEVER live there without AC in the car. Started running it in May and didn't turn it off completely until November. It will be tough to adjust, especially if you come from a cooler area. It will take a year or two for you to adjust to the heat, and if you are like me, you will never like it, just tolerate it.

My post may sound like a downer, but it isn't. I love the area and the people, but have to be realistic.

You will love the people of Louisiana and the food is awesome. Those two things will offset tolerating the heat of summer.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
I have used the 2-55 method when I had to . I don't recommend it at all . Especially in city traffic . It's worse than miserable .

Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebith75 View Post
When would you say it starts to get extremely hot and humid, and when does it stop? (June through august? May through September?) Thanks for all of the info!!
Just looking at some of the responses, it is clear that hot to some isn't hot to others. The heat starts creeping in in May. At 1:05 PM today it is 86º in Baton Rouge. That doesn't sound bad, but as someone else pointed out, it's really humid out there, so I don't plan on cutting the grass until about 7:30 this evening.

The Shreveport area has the distinction of having both the hottest and coldest recorded temperatures in the state. And, in fact, it's climate is more like that of Dallas, TX than southern Louisiana, meaning that it's not quite as humid up there, but it will get hotter than a fox in a forest fire up there.

You'll be seeing 90º temps as soon as early June up there that will continue into mid-October. By my count, that's almost half the year, and a strong indicator that your car should definitely have A/C in it.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM

26 posts, read 52,317 times
I agree. I remember when i was a kid Halloween was usually chilly. But the last couple of years it has been hot. I would also like to mention spiders love the A/C too!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebith75 View Post
Hello! First of all this website is a great resource, I move around a lot for work and utilize this site constantly. My question is, I am moving from Oregon to Louisiana (shreveport) and my wife and I are not sure what to expect regarding the weather in the summer. Basically, we know it is really really hot in the summer, but for how long? Basically, my root questions are, How many months out of the year am I never going to want to go outside and am going to sweat walking into work? Is it reasonable to bring along a car without air conditioning? Or is that just not possible? I would bring it if it was only 2-3 months where the heat makes it impossible to drive w/o AC...any thoughts, thanks!!
In SWLA Summer=May until October.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
And this has been a hotter drier than normal May here in S'port. Grass on fire along the I-20 medians today.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
90s all week this week in Shreveport.

Shreveport, Louisiana (71101) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana