Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM

31 posts, read 49,253 times

Advertisements

I was recently approached by my boss about moving to Louisville. I am trying to find a place to live, most likely rent in case things don't work out job wise.
I am a field engineer so I will be working out of my home and at various sites around town, as well as an occasional trip to Versailles. My bosses recommend the east side of town. I have only been to Louisville twice, both times for bachelor parties, so I haven't seen much outside of 4th St and a few bars on Bardstown.
I am in my early 30s and single. I am originally from south of Dayton, OH and have spent the past few years outside of Columbus.
I think I would like to be in Louisville as opposed to an outer suburb but I am not ruling anything out yet. I definitely want a safe neighborhood. I am willing to spend up to $800/month. I think I would prefer something with a yard or a close park since I have a dog. Walking distance to restaurants/bars/etc would be nice.
Any info on places to look and maybe, more importantly, where to avoid would be helpful.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
$ 800 is going to be a tough nut, but possible in Butchertown area, which will make for an easy ride to most places in Louisville and 10 minutes to I-64 (road to Versailles).

I would suggest Butchertown, Lower Brownsboro Rd, and possibly the areas of Phoenix Hill to Clifton.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
I was recently approached by my boss about moving to Louisville. I am trying to find a place to live, most likely rent in case things don't work out job wise.
I am a field engineer so I will be working out of my home and at various sites around town, as well as an occasional trip to Versailles. My bosses recommend the east side of town. I have only been to Louisville twice, both times for bachelor parties, so I haven't seen much outside of 4th St and a few bars on Bardstown.
I am in my early 30s and single. I am originally from south of Dayton, OH and have spent the past few years outside of Columbus.
I think I would like to be in Louisville as opposed to an outer suburb but I am not ruling anything out yet. I definitely want a safe neighborhood. I am willing to spend up to $800/month. I think I would prefer something with a yard or a close park since I have a dog. Walking distance to restaurants/bars/etc would be nice.
Any info on places to look and maybe, more importantly, where to avoid would be helpful.
Thanks
800 is a bit low, but given your age and interests, I think the Heart of St Matthews is a good bet for you. Google the Tin Roof Louisville and try to live within a few blocks of there. There is a great bar and restaurant district there for the over 25 crowd.

Also, I would at least look at the Nulu area of east downtown, close to the Garage Bar.

You should find this website helpful. Join and ask them for help, and meet some people!

New2Lou

Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading through the forums and it seems the Highlands area is often recommended, would anyone recommend it for my situation?
Looking forward to getting down to Louisville and checking things out.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I have been reading through the forums and it seems the Highlands area is often recommended, would anyone recommend it for my situation?
Looking forward to getting down to Louisville and checking things out.
Theres a reason the Highlands are always recommended
Item for item I couldnt think of a better place to live
If you are looking for rentals though, you will have to drive around and look for signs. I think you could do 800.00 a month in the Highlands, especially if you told a potential landlord you would sign for 2 years, or something like that, but you have to do some street-by-street hunting. They generally arent posted in the usual places. If you see something you like, check out what the other rentals are like, nearby. Some Bellarmine / UofL kids can have a profound affect on your quality of life.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,360 times
I second the highlands. you should be able to find a decent 1 br in your price range. it's by far the best area in town imo.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM

How is Germantown? Is it an up and coming spot - or just old, worn down and stagnant? I would think the area of Germantown close to Highlands would be fine but is there an area to avoid? These forums have been a great source of info. I can't seem to find much on the Germantown area though.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
How is Germantown? Is it an up and coming spot - or just old, worn down and stagnant? I would think the area of Germantown close to Highlands would be fine but is there an area to avoid? These forums have been a great source of info. I can't seem to find much on the Germantown area though.

Great area. Old timers combined with young families and hipsters. You have to know the area and it could take months to really "understand it." It has great history, anchored by old time German residents, and working class people in shotgun house that are the foundation of what I call "old time" Louisville.

Recently, it has been a haven for young people and hipsters priced out of the Highlands.

The area is known for its corner bars and taverns.

To explore the area, check out

Zanzabar - Louisville, KY

Nachbar - Louisville, KY

One of the oldest family run continually operating convenience stores in the Midwest/South

Hauck's Handy Store - Louisville, KY

My favorite German food in Germantown:

Eiderdown - Louisville, KY

An amazing organic market:

The Root Cellar - Louisville, KY

And if you only had to see ONE place that sums up what is the soul of Germantown, here it is:

Hammerheads - Louisville, KY

And probably some of the best food you have ever had! My friend, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Don't judge it by its cover. It isn't yuppie. It isn't Chicago. It isn't Atlanta. Its just Germantown, one of the many hidden urban hoods that make Louisville a great secret!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,360 times
as i've stated in other threads, germantown can be very hit or miss. i wouldn't call it crime infested, but there are some folks who like to get drunk and fight in the street. that's been going on in germantown for generations. while the area is gentrifying, you still have pockets of, let's just say less than perfect neighbors. a friend moved a half a block from nachbar (she came here from fort wayne) and within two weeks was attacked by one of her neighbors. now i know that this sort of thing can happen anywhere, it's just that it happens in germantown maybe a little more frequently than some would be willing to deal with, myself included. this being said, i hang out in germantown all the time, frequent the great bars and eats that the area has to offer, i just don't know that i'd commit to living there. once again, it's very hit or miss.

I looked today on craigslist and saw several one bedrooms in the highlands well within your price range. wherever you end up, welcome to louisville.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,827,203 times
You people act like its hard to find something for 800 bucks. Or Im like the poorest person on here. Some of you might as well have said "Meh, **** that." Theres a lot of places for like 800, if I could afford 800- Id be looking for 500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area