Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,874 times

Advertisements

Hi .. I was curious what to expect if I were to move from Iowa to Louisville what would I need to expect? I was curious if its easy to meet people? Are people open to meeting outsiders so to speak (not from Louisville) Im not real religious however am very personable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
Hi .. I was curious what to expect if I were to move from Iowa to Louisville what would I need to expect? I was curious if its easy to meet people? Are people open to meeting outsiders so to speak (not from Louisville) Im not real religious however am very personable
JDS, I have repeated this many times on this forum, but your questions deserve a 1000 repeats. The people of Louisville and surrounding Kentuckiana are some of the most cordial people on Earth. If people come to be a part of us, not to endoctrinate us with their customs, styles, and behaviors, then they will not only be acknowledged, but they will become a part of the family.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,526 times
Quote:
jds I moved from Iowa [GO HAWKEYES!] to Louisiville. Twice. I won't move here again because I am never leaving here again! Nothing wrong with Iowa, I just love it here more. [Tho I was asking hubby the other day when it was alread 93^ why he brought me back here lol, but he knew I was joking.]

I was terrified when we first came here to look for a place to live in this "huge big city". But that fear left really quickly. I've NEVER lived in a city this big, but it doesn't "feel" big to me. For the most part, everybody is friendly. Of course there are a few who haven't been, but you get that everywhere. Well actually, you get more than that in alot of places. My hubby laughs and shakes his head because most places we go I end up talking for at least 15 min to a stranger.

The BIGGEST adjustment I had to make was not taking offence to being called baby, honey, sweetie by complete strangers. Of both sexes. And Sis. But that is more of a compliment than anything.

Only advice I can give you, is the same advice I'd give anybody moving anywhere. Greet the world with a smile, and you will get smiled back at. But here in Louisville, you might also get a hug or a pat on the back.

ETA: I came from a small town of around 300, with the "big city" population 14,000 being 20 minutes away.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
I will never understand why anyone would take offense to being called honey baby or sweetie anywhere but then again I have never really lived anywhere else either lol

Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 AM

862 posts, read 1,643,526 times
missy I never had a problem with people I know calling me that but complete strangers? Yeah I used to. Not anymore tho. And I must confess I picked it up somewhat the first time we lived here. lol

I only mentioned it because that indeed was the BIGGEST adjustment I had from moving from a town not big enough to even be considered podunk in Iowa to the "big city" of Louisville. (And it really wasn't that big of an adjustment.) So I personally don't think anybody from Iowa will have a big adjustment moving to Louisville.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
missy I never had a problem with people I know calling me that but complete strangers? Yeah I used to. Not anymore tho. And I must confess I picked it up somewhat the first time we lived here. lol

I only mentioned it because that indeed was the BIGGEST adjustment I had from moving from a town not big enough to even be considered podunk in Iowa to the "big city" of Louisville. (And it really wasn't that big of an adjustment.) So I personally don't think anybody from Iowa will have a big adjustment moving to Louisville.
Oh I don't mean you personally I just mean in general.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM

470 posts, read 1,037,029 times
I'm trying to get back to the Louisville area myself. Louisville is typically voted the friendliest city in the country if that helps you out at all. I'm up here in the northwest and they typically make a big deal about how Louisville even beats out the likes of cities like Seattle. Probably because most people up here have mental health issues that stem from lack of sunlight and they talk to themselves as much as they do other people which makes Seattle a distant second to the Ville.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM

25 posts, read 182,121 times
Quote:
I moved here from the Cleveland area about 20 years ago. The move was supposed to be temporary (long story), but after a few months here, you couldn't pry me out with a stick!!

It took a little while to get used to total strangers genuinely asking how I was doing, making eye contact and smiling, holidng doors open for me, buying you a drink in a bar for no reason, etc., but after a while it just seemed natural!

The folks here are wonderful and VERY easy to meet! They will make you feel exceptionally comfortable! It will very quickly feel like home (at least it did for me!)!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,399 times
Tomocox--I have the same kind of question--mostly, HOW to meet people in Kentucky? We're moving to Glendale in about 2 weeks or so--and we're not church-goers, so I thought we'd meet folks through the school PTA--but the PTA only meets 4x a year...so...uh...I'm sure we'll find some activities to meet folks, but it is still strange to move somewhere and look for friends, hu? I'm a homemaker, which makes it a little more difficult, I think...having positive, friendly encounters with strangers is a little different from making friends...

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Can you tell me if there is any commuter service between Louisville and Elizabethtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area