Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM

13 posts, read 35,961 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I'm considering moving from Northern Virginia to the Ft. Knox area. I just turned 30, I've been travelling the world, and I'm finally ready to plant some roots.

Can you all share some information about Ft. Knox and the surrounding communities? Everyone has tried to talk me out of moving there but I am burnt out on the DC area and I need a more peaceful life. What does KY have to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Lightbulb Helpful hints

Check out Alanboy395's posts on the subject. He's already done what you're thinking.

Swallowing my pride here.

Man, I miss NOVA

Old 01-17-2012, 07:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22429300-post3.html

Also that is my big comparison between NoVA and Louisville (somewhat applies to Ft. Knox.)

Also some food for thought. A lot of BRAC folks who came out in 2009-2010 have or are actively trying to get back to NoVA according to my mom who works at HRC.

Also, do you have a job waiting or lined up at Knox? If not this is not an area where you want to be looking for a job (trust me.)

If you are more looking for an escape from the DC area, I'd look at Aberdeen Proving Ground or Ft. Meade in Maryland just up the road because both are more Baltimore-like which is a little slower-paced from what I've heard.

Overall, I don't regret the move just for career opportunities I think I have better chances back in DC.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM

13 posts, read 35,961 times
Thanks Alanboy395! Very informative, heartfelt posts.

I wonder if the BRAC employees that are considering returning to the area are natives of DC/MD/VA. I'm from the deep south so my goal is to eventually return to that area. I do want to buy a home soon and I'm priced out of anything that isn't in a high rise or a rowhouse that I would truly like in this area.

I'm also not looking for much of a night life, I'm more of a homebody anyway. So I doubt I'll ever return to the DMV area because of the cost of living and quality of life issues that I have to contend with here.

I do have a position lined up at Ft. Knox. So that's a positive.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Kentucky is a really great place to raise a family - it is more quite,
less expensive to live here, things are slower paced and much less crime
than in the NOVA area.
(I have never really lived in the NOVA area, but have lived in Baltimore, although this was many years ago).
The difference is like night and day imo.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 AM

165 posts, read 309,834 times
My wife and I moved here to Louisville four and a half years ago from DC. I'd lived there for a couple years, and my wife grew up in Fairfax County.

While there are things we miss about the DC area - cultural opportunities and the like - we could hardly be happier here. In fact, every time we return for a visit it reinforces how glad we are to be living in Louisville. There's virtually no traffic to deal with; crime is much less of a problem than even some of the nicer areas of NOVA, what with MS-13 and all; housing prices and the overall cost of living are a fraction of what they are in the DC area; and life is just slower-paced in general. I can run errands in 20 minutes in Louisville that would take me an hour or two in NOVA just because of the traffic. My wife and I joke that there's about half a dozen ways to get between any two points in Louisville, and they all take 15 minutes.

Louisville has great neighborhoods, fantastic parks, an outstanding restaurant scene that rivals that of far larger cities, a decent arts and culture environment, and a population that's fairly diverse for this region.

The areas south of Louisville in Bullitt, Hardin, and Meade counties will be mostly more rural, blue-collar, and southern in character than Louisville proper. But they still offer reasonable proximity to all of what I described above.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southchick318 View Post
Thanks Alanboy395! Very informative, heartfelt posts.

I wonder if the BRAC employees that are considering returning to the area are natives of DC/MD/VA. I'm from the deep south so my goal is to eventually return to that area. I do want to buy a home soon and I'm priced out of anything that isn't in a high rise or a rowhouse that I would truly like in this area.

I'm also not looking for much of a night life, I'm more of a homebody anyway. So I doubt I'll ever return to the DMV area because of the cost of living and quality of life issues that I have to contend with here.

I do have a position lined up at Ft. Knox. So that's a positive.
If you don't need nightlife bad, you may be best off renting in Radcliff which is less than 5-10 from the gates of Ft. Knox. I would however advise living West of 31W since that is the better looking side of town. The apts on Lincoln Trail are pretty quiet. Or is you want a townhome or house there are new ones being built as we speak off of Joe Prather hwy in Vine Grove, in fact my mother lives in one of the new subdivisions which a SFH can easily be had for under $200k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area