Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

Looking for help. We currently live in Jeff in a great neighborhood - only one block from Norton Elementary. We have a boy who is not yet in school. I work in Oldham County (Prospect) and we have been looking to move that way. Husband and I are not on the same page though. I like older houses with character and don't mind having to do a little work (we have remodeled two previous houses). He wants a new house an from what I have seen, every house in Oldham County is either horrendously outdated and overpriced or is too far out. I would like to be in the Goshen area ideally. But I find houses I like on Jeff Co (Indian Hills area off 42) and you seem to get nicer updated houses. Plus, I hate how everything is brand spanking new in Oldham (I know that's weird right?!) We are willing to spend $350-$375k at the top but I would prefer less.
We want to be in Oldham so my commute to work is close, and of course the school system, but now I am wondering if we would be better off staying in East End Jeff and just going the private school route? I know it's pricier but I don't know what else to do. We have 4 years until we have to worry about schools but I don't want to move again anytime soon after this move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belbiv01 View Post
Looking for help. We currently live in Jeff in a great neighborhood - only one block from Norton Elementary. We have a boy who is not yet in school. I work in Oldham County (Prospect) and we have been looking to move that way. Husband and I are not on the same page though. I like older houses with character and don't mind having to do a little work (we have remodeled two previous houses). He wants a new house an from what I have seen, every house in Oldham County is either horrendously outdated and overpriced or is too far out. I would like to be in the Goshen area ideally. But I find houses I like on Jeff Co (Indian Hills area off 42) and you seem to get nicer updated houses. Plus, I hate how everything is brand spanking new in Oldham (I know that's weird right?!) We are willing to spend $350-$375k at the top but I would prefer less.
We want to be in Oldham so my commute to work is close, and of course the school system, but now I am wondering if we would be better off staying in East End Jeff and just going the private school route? I know it's pricier but I don't know what else to do. We have 4 years until we have to worry about schools but I don't want to move again anytime soon after this move!
Tough call! We just sold a home in your area in less than a week from on-market to 1st offer. My opinion, the new VA hospital is going to drive home prices in the Norton Elementary area to 2006 prices or higher soon. Take your time to move.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Stay where you are. Don't fall for the "it is better in Oldham trick." You are in a highly sought after area that will have much more long term appreciation. Louisville has some decent public schools and OUTSTANDING parochial/private schools.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM

17 posts, read 87,801 times
Check out this house in Anchorage... $355K

11703 Little Ln, Anchorage, KY 40223 - Zillow

MLS # 1350370 - 11703 Little Ln, Anchorage KY, 40223 | Homes.com 34 Pics I haven't looked @ yet...

Built in 1941 & newly remodeled & in your price range...Only been listed for 2 days it appears... I couldnt recommend the area or specifically the Basically private school system higher. This home also happens to be in the school district & not all homes in Anchorage are...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM

I love Anchorage - the area is great, and would love to live there. And the house you sent is very cute. However, it would be a further commute for me to get to Prospect - and you can't get much square footage for the money there...we would basically be downgrading in house amenities to get into that area. Our current house is 4BR, 2.5BA, full finished basement and an open upgraded kitchen/great room...
We 100% definitely want to sell our current house. Although the neighborhood is great (and our home value has appreciated just in the last few years we have lived here), we want more privacy from neighbors and more space - a true master bed and bath with BIG closets. Something our house is lacking.
What do people think about being in Prospect, but not being in Oldham County (Hunting Creek, etc.)? My thought is that it would be a harder resale because it's the longer commute for people without the benefit of being in Oldham Co.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM

tomocox -
I'm curious, why do you think that the new VA hospital will drive home prices in this area up? I have been hesitant about looking in this same area because I thought the opposite. More heavily congested traffic on 22/42 - and just the fact that is a VA hospital would push people away from this area???
Thanks for your input.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM

"However, it would be a further commute for me to get to Prospect - and you can't get much square footage for the money there...we would basically be downgrading in house amenities to get into that area"

Well, the commute would be simply out the Gene Snyder Freeway if you are trying to get to Prospect.

Downgrading in house amenities you are making up for in quality if life & the school district for your child...Your child would go to the same school from Kindergarten til he/she goes to high school .
Anchorage Public School
Also, the property is worth more. Where in Oldham County is your work located ?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
tomocox -
I'm curious, why do you think that the new VA hospital will drive home prices in this area up? I have been hesitant about looking in this same area because I thought the opposite. More heavily congested traffic on 22/42 - and just the fact that is a VA hospital would push people away from this area???
Thanks for your input.
The traffic issue is being resolved at I-264/US 42. There is a major interchange improvement coming with a possible new interchange at US 42/ I-71.

Traffic typically does not destroy property values of an area. People who moved there for the peace and quiet do move away, but the demand for close-to-work drives values back up.

VA Hospitals are newly vibrant, great places to work with all the issues challenging private & non-profit hospitals due to Obamacare.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Regarding Anchorage, if you consider Anchorage, you must know exactly the school system. Just because you live in Anchorage and pay the most expensive property tax rates in Kentucky, doesn't mean you'll be in the Anchorage School District. Be very, very careful.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Regarding Anchorage, if you consider Anchorage, you must know exactly the school system. Just because you live in Anchorage and pay the most expensive property tax rates in Kentucky, doesn't mean you'll be in the Anchorage School District. Be very, very careful.

You Are Correct...I DO Know Anchorage ...Lived Most of my life there and went completely through the school. The house I linked her to IS in the School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area