Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,810 times

Advertisements

So my girlfriend and I are thinking about heading down to Louisville for Forecastle Festival, and are looking for a place to stay. At the moment, most of the hotels downtown and around Waterfront Park are booked or too pricey. However on Google Maps I stumbled upon a place called Hotel Louisville (https://plus.google.com/108438274693...us&hl=en)...it doesn't have a website and has sparse reviews, but when I called, someone did actually pick up, and she said that their nightly rate is a quite affordable $67.

While this rate is great, I'm obviously skeptical due to the lack of online presence. Is this a real place? Is it super-sketchy? Is it in that terrible of condition (remember, we're just looking for a place to crash after the festival/getting drinks at bars)?

If so, we may look into the Ramada or some of the chain Hotels in Jeffersonville.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
I honestly don't know much about the Hotel Louisville. The area isn't sketchy, only a couple streets over from the Brown hotel actually and the main city Library. There are two hotels though (A Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn) in New Albany immediately at the bottom of the exit ramp from I-64. Literally 10 minutes or less from where the Forecastle festival will be. They may not be as booked since it's on the Indiana side and hopefully wouldn't be too expensive. There are also several great places to eat or get a drink in downtown New Albany if you were wanting to hang out close to the hotel in the evenings.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
I think the Hotel Louisville is the old Stouffers and I thought it was being used as a "penny hotel" (essentially like a homeless shelter). It could be they are offerting very cheap rates to the general public, too.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
It's not in a sketchy area. Its right across the street from a community college and very close to the medical center. Essentially you are on the edges of downtown, but not really a rough area.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think the Hotel Louisville is the old Stouffers and I thought it was being used as a "penny hotel" (essentially like a homeless shelter). It could be they are offerting very cheap rates to the general public, too.
As I know it, Hotel Louisville is the old Holiday Inn. Perhaps it was Stouffers before that. It was built by the AL J. Scneider Co. of the (modern) Galt House hotel fame in the 1960s. It is, to a degree a transient homeless shelter for Wayside Christian Mission. There are several floors dedicated to this.

However, there have been a few recent renovations with some basic paint and carpeting and the hotel does offer to the general public.

Hotel Louisville Downtown (KY) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

It got 3.5 stars there which is not too bad, as tripadvisor travelers are known to be very "picky." Most people are impressed for the price for the location. I would not expect it to be nice, but it may be ok to lay your head after a day or days of drinking and music.

To the OP, I would also recommend looking at www.airbnb.com

https://www.airbnb.com/s/louisville-...2&price_max=80

There are at least 10 choices on those dates for less than 67. And they all are probably nicer, but none are right downtown, walkable to Waterfront Park.

Specifically, this listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1049003

Is very nice for the price and well located in the trendy Clifton neighborhood just 2 miles from Waterfront Park. Of course there are some much nicer listings, but you will pay more for them.

This one also seems interesting and cheap, but you would be sharing an apartment with this gentleman:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1087143

That said, that listing is walkable to the largest independent neighborhood in the Ville, The Highlands, which is what makes the city unique and cool.

Another Highlands listing that is a steal:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/602455

And I can personally vouch for Chapman as I know him.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,810 times
Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM

83 posts, read 142,391 times
Not to scare you, but the Hotel Louisville I'm familiar with is actually a homeless shelter that "rents" out rooms to travelers/visitors. It's owned and operated by Wayside Christian Mission. At least until a couple of years ago, they used to "rent out" rooms to the homeless for pennies, and would charge a regular rate ($50-70/night) to travelers/visitors.

I've never been inside of the facility, so I can't speak firsthand to how it looks. I used to do some work for Wayside, so I have some knowledge of the facility. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area