Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 AM

79 posts, read 123,922 times

Advertisements

The Wife and I are seriously considering a move to the Louisville area in the near future as we are looking to downsize and get out of the Chicago tundra we have lived in for far to long. We will both need to find work in the area before we make the move but are optimistic that will occur. My wife works in Education administration and myself in Natural Resource management. Our biggest concern is in finding the right home in the best possible neighborhood for people of modest means, spending more than 200K is out of the question. Would love to hear others thoughts on what are some of the best neighborhoods for average folks like us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natguy View Post
The Wife and I are seriously considering a move to the Louisville area in the near future as we are looking to downsize and get out of the Chicago tundra we have lived in for far to long. We will both need to find work in the area before we make the move but are optimistic that will occur. My wife works in Education administration and myself in Natural Resource management. Our biggest concern is in finding the right home in the best possible neighborhood for people of modest means, spending more than 200K is out of the question. Would love to hear others thoughts on what are some of the best neighborhoods for average folks like us
Probably Middletown or Jeffersontown in that range.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
There are literally dozens, if not hundreds of great $150-200k subdivisions all throughout the Metropolitan Louisville Statistical Area.

I recommend that you drill down on where your employment will be sited first. There is no need for you to look in one area of town to live and then drive an hour to and from work.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:48 PM

79 posts, read 123,922 times
I should have mentioned we hate suburbia or at least that look of a new homes, no trees, etc.... Any neighborhood built in the 1960's to the present will not interest us. As far as the commute is concerned, after living in the Chicago metro area all our lives, any commute under an hour would be a dream for us.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I should have mentioned we hate suburbia or at least that look of a new homes, no trees, etc.... Any neighborhood built in the 1960's to the present will not interest us. As far as the commute is concerned, after living in the Chicago metro area all our lives, any commute under an hour would be a dream for us.
For older homes which are cheaper, look in Germantown and Beechmont. Also New Albany, IN is an inner ring suburb with some great older homes at dirt cheap prices.

The nicer older areas....Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hill, St Matthews...are mostly out of your price range. Old Louisville has some affordable homes left and is a nice mixed income area.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:57 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I would look along Poplar Level Rd, North of the Watterson Exwy. I liked the look of the neighborhoods since the homes were older brick ranchers that were well kept. I think it is one of Louisville's most underestimated areas.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would look along Poplar Level Rd, North of the Watterson Exwy. I liked the look of the neighborhoods since the homes were older brick ranchers that were well kept. I think it is one of Louisville's most underestimated areas.
Good idea. This area is a bit south of Germantown. The most popular (and nieces neighborhood) there is Audubon Park, however it is quite pricy in Audubon itself. There are some nice homes on the edge of the area for under 200k though.

What is your budget?

Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM

242 posts, read 402,556 times
I don't know why it was stated that St. Matthews is out of their price range. Many of the homes in St. Matthews fall into that price range very nicely, it's a very safe area with lots of restaurants and shopping close by and it's certainly not suburbia. It also is not part of the Urban Services District so your taxes are a little lower. It certainly sounds like an ideal location for what they are looking for.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
150 to 200 k is upper end, not modest income level homes in greater Louisville. Only Anchorage and sections or outer US 42 would be out of that price range.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I really like the greater Eastern Pky / Audubon area too. Low crime, lots of very nice neighborhoods but without the high cost and snobbery of the east end. If it wasn't for concerns about JCPS that would have been my top choice. As it is I am about to buy a house in the older part of Charlestown Rd in New Albany thay has a similar feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area