Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 06:00 PM

342 posts, read 319,481 times

Advertisements

I was looking at cities with the highest increase in homicide rates and was unhappy to see that my hometown of Louisville ranked #7 since the pandemic began: https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-homicide-rate/94070

Cincinnati is even worse at #2.

Super disturbing. 173 people were victims of criminal homicide in 2020, according to the C-J: https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ar/6540016002/

NBC reports that as of August 21, Louisville was at 125 slayings and positioned to break last year's horrible record: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...limbs-n1277062

One of my high school friends just lost her beautiful adult son in a recent murder here in Louisville. He was working and was shot on the street. It's just horrifying. She's praying and trying to find a way to understand what happened.

I feel very isolated from it because I live in the east end, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I need to be more involved, so I'm joining a mentorship group and leadership Kentucky group to try to offer more support, do whatever I can to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 09:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I was looking at cities with the highest increase in homicide rates and was unhappy to see that my hometown of Louisville ranked #7 since the pandemic began: https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-homicide-rate/94070

Super disturbing. 173 people were victims of criminal homicide in 2020, according to the C-J: https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ar/6540016002/

NBC reports that as of August 21, Louisville was at 125 slayings and positioned to break last year's horrible record: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...limbs-n1277062

One of my high school friends just lost her beautiful adult son in a recent murder here in Louisville. He was working and was shot on the street. It's just horrifying. She's praying and trying to find a way to understand what happened.

I feel very isolated from it because I live in the east end, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I need to be more involved, so I'm joining a mentorship group and leadership Kentucky group to try to offer more support, do whatever I can to help.
Good to hear . It is 100% on the mayor. He created this problem by ignoring gangs, he created the Breonna mishap through his cocky programs. It will get better.

Louisville is overall a safe city for the majority of its life and will get back that way as a new mayor will hire more and pay police better. Greg Fischer is the worst mayor in history.

Louisville was a top 10 safest major city before Fischer and it will get back that way....that said, it IS a major city and its population falsely elevated by including much of the county. Keeping that in mind, there WILL be crime no matter what is done. The local media gotta get this fact through their head....major cities got crime just as much as they have world class arts and food!

https://justicepolicy.org/uploads/ju...ime_report.pdf

Old 09-26-2021, 10:32 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:

That is terrible to hear.
The city has so much going for it. But that level of crime and homicide is horrible.
Growing up there, I always felt safe and happy.
But this sure is one top ten list you don't want to be listed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Good to hear . It is 100% on the mayor. He created this problem by ignoring gangs, he created the Breonna mishap through his cocky programs. It will get better.....

The local media gotta get this fact through their head....major cities got crime just as much as they have world class arts and food!

https://justicepolicy.org/uploads/ju...ime_report.pdf
Quote:

Good to hear .
You liked that?
Trust me, that is one top ten list that you don't want to be on!
Considering how many cities there are in the US, it is terrible to be listed as one of the top ten homicide cities!

Quote:
The local media gotta get this fact through their head....major cities got crime just as much as they have world class arts and food!
World class arts and food aren't of much importance if you afraid to go out and enjoy them....or if you become a homicide statistic by doing so.

Some of Louisville's neighborhoods are like night and day though, I would imagine there are large portions of the city not effected by this. The east end end has always been especially safe. But one does want to visit other parts of the city from time to time, without being killed.

Let's hope this is a temporary problem, not a permanent issue.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 09-26-2021 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-26-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The city has so much going for it. But that level of crime and homicide is horrible.

You liked that?
Considering how many cities there are in the US, it is terrible to be listed as one of the top ten homicide cities!

World class arts and food aren't of much importance if you afraid to go out and enjoy them....or if you become a homicide statistic by doing so.

Some of Louisville's neighborhoods are like night and day though, I would imagine there are large portions of the city not effected by this. The east end end has always been especially safe. But one does want to visit other parts of the city from time to time, without being killed.

I agree, it's terrible. Definitely not something anyone should be happy about. It's heartbreaking. Particularly how we all know someone, most likely, affected by the crime, just like my high school friend who mourns the lost of her wonderful son. He was working and was shot dead for no reason, and his murderer has not been caught.

Two years ago, I went downtown to restaurants without a second thought. Now it's not something I want to do. I hate that our city has become this, and that it's so easy to simply blame the mayor or something else. I'm trying to step up and do my part and I hope others do, too.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,102 times
Quote:

All I have to say is...stay away from big cities!

Old 09-27-2021, 09:30 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Louisville's mayor is a product of local culture where the old money doesn't want improvement because that means growth that would bring new voices. I've never understood why most locals are so content with the status quo, I feel that Louisville has potential to grow much faster. If Indy can do it Louisville should be able to. 15 years ago crime was too high but still above average safe for largest US cities. Starting in 2014 homicides just kept going up. Then the Breonna Taylor situation happened and half the city became the OK Coral. There was even a robbery turned murder at the NE suburbs car wash I used to go to all the time. 150 to 200 homicides is not acceptable.

I think JCPS deserves much of the blame for the needless long distance busing that takes kids away from their families for extra hours each day. The kid killed at the bus stop drive by off 9th street went to... Eastern HS in Middletown. Why? You could have success schools on the West and South Ends with local districts and appropriate resources. JCPS also runs off many middle class families to surrounding counties because they can't afford private school. I saw a high school basketball team photo where all the players (of various races) were flashing gang hand signs. Either teachers at that school are ignorant, don't care, or are afraid to confront the issue. Every 'thug' that is murdered had potential to be a good person who contributed to society.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:13 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville's mayor is a product of local culture where the old money doesn't want improvement because that means growth that would bring new voices. I've never understood why most locals are so content with the status quo, I feel that Louisville has potential to grow much faster. If Indy can do it Louisville should be able to. 15 years ago crime was too high but still above average safe for largest US cities. Starting in 2014 homicides just kept going up. Then the Breonna Taylor situation happened and half the city became the OK Coral. There was even a robbery turned murder at the NE suburbs car wash I used to go to all the time. 150 to 200 homicides is not acceptable.

I think JCPS deserves much of the blame for the needless long distance busing that takes kids away from their families for extra hours each day. The kid killed at the bus stop drive by off 9th street went to... Eastern HS in Middletown. Why? You could have success schools on the West and South Ends with local districts and appropriate resources. JCPS also runs off many middle class families to surrounding counties because they can't afford private school. I saw a high school basketball team photo where all the players (of various races) were flashing gang hand signs. Either teachers at that school are ignorant, don't care, or are afraid to confront the issue. Every 'thug' that is murdered had potential to be a good person who contributed to society.
Many of those 150-200 murders go unsolved too. Over 100 murders already this year in Louisville remained unsolved. Politicians will blame the lack of cooperating witnesses but what support is the city giving them? Way short on police officers and actually there has been a surge in retirements, more this year than last year. There is limited funded to “surge” the police academy when there are not enough qualified applicants.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

You liked that?

This is preposterous. There are few if ANY homicides that were random, innocent bystanders. It's all gang on gang, mostly minority. This does not make it better, but to suggest someone is at risk even dining out in dt Louisville is nothing short of hyperbole.

All major cities have crime and we all agree the mayor is horrible but the city is vibrant, active, and on the move. Mayor Greenburg will clean it up fast and is assembling a great team!

Old 09-29-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This is preposterous. There are few if ANY homicides that were random, innocent bystanders. It's all gang on gang, mostly minority. This does not make it better, but to suggest someone is at risk even dining out in dt Louisville is nothing short of hyperbole.

All major cities have crime and we all agree the mayor is horrible but the city is vibrant, active, and on the move. Mayor Greenburg will clean it up fast and is assembling a great team!
My friend's son was murdered at his job this summer. He was not a gang member. He was an innocent bystander. There are many people like him being killed in Louisville. It's truly heartbreaking and very scary.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
My friend's son was murdered at his job this summer. He was not a gang member. He was an innocent bystander. There are many people like him being killed in Louisville. It's truly heartbreaking and very scary.
What's his name? That may be one of the only innocent bystander cases. Maybe 5 innocent people off my hip. Meanwhile car wrecks kill 5 in one day. I am not trying to downplay it but literally quit acting like everywhere you go in Louisville, you are at risk of a stray bullet. That's horse hockey and you all know it.

Lot of gangs, immigrants, domestics, drugs...90% homicides are that. Ask a cop. Think we even had a road rage murder? Be nice, mind your own business, don't buy anything illegal, and statistically speaking you just are not gonna die in Louisville from getting shot by a stray, except maybe in the West. Now if we are talking catching a stray and living I think there is probably a couple dozen this year. That's too many but again, look at stats. Statistically driving the freeway of any major city is much more likely to cause your death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area