Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

Gas here is going for $4.19 for regular, which currently cost $3.97 in Lexington.

In Simpsonville gas is currently $3.99, while it is $4.16 just 10 miles away in Lyndon - why? (I'm guessing EPA regulations)

Simpsonville Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Simpsonville, Kentucky
Lyndon Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Lyndon, Kentucky

2 interesting items I found...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
I think it has to do with the additives that have to be added to the gas so we don't have to do the VET testing anymore.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
Are there county taxes on gasoline? My pure guess is that Jefferson County has a higher tax on it than Shelby County.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
The reformulated gasoline that Louisville requires always costs more than non-reformulated, and reformulated gas prices tend to rise more than non-reformulated during gas crunch times like this. I know that areas in Chicago are reporting that currently their reformulated gas is costing about $.15 more per gallon to supply than non-reformulated.

Since Shelby county and areas around Lexington don't require reformulated gas, they are cheaper.

The other kicker is that reformulated gas usually results in lower fuel economy (mpg), so you have fill up more often, too.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I know that when I was in Louisville last month, I was surprised that gas was higher there than the Seattle area. The night I left Seattle for Louisville gas was 3.65. When I landed in Louisville the next morning, gas there was 3.85. Now you guys are behind us as regular unleaded here is anywhere from 4.37 to 4.57...but not behind by much. It's still in the high 3 dollar mark in New Mexico, Denver, and parts of Texas.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I know that when I was in Louisville last month, I was surprised that gas was higher there than the Seattle area. The night I left Seattle for Louisville gas was 3.65. When I landed in Louisville the next morning, gas there was 3.85. Now you guys are behind us as regular unleaded here is anywhere from 4.37 to 4.57...but not behind by much. It's still in the high 3 dollar mark in New Mexico, Denver, and parts of Texas.
check here for the most accurate, latest costs:

Louisville Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Kentucky

Once again, you see Louisville has yet another thing in common with her Midwest neighbors--higher gas than the SE.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
The reformulated gasoline that Louisville requires always costs more than non-reformulated, and reformulated gas prices tend to rise more than non-reformulated during gas crunch times like this. I know that areas in Chicago are reporting that currently their reformulated gas is costing about $.15 more per gallon to supply than non-reformulated.

Since Shelby county and areas around Lexington don't require reformulated gas, they are cheaper.

The other kicker is that reformulated gas usually results in lower fuel economy (mpg), so you have fill up more often, too.
Spot on. This is what I was going to say.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
check here for the most accurate, latest costs:

Louisville Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Kentucky

Once again, you see Louisville has yet another thing in common with her Midwest neighbors--higher gas than the SE.
Yeah...I noticed when I was there and took day trips to Frankfort and Lex, that their gas was cheaper by a good 10 cents or more per gallon.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
If you're traveling through or into Louisville, your best bet is to avoid getting gas in Jefferson County (or those parts of Bullitt and Oldham that are reformulated), and waiting until you get to an outlying area. If you can avoid filling up with the reformulated gas, you will save money AND get better fuel economy.

Of course, if you actually live and work in Jefferson County, there isn't much point to drive out of your way and waste the gas.

I don't think there are any other cities in the SE that use reformulated gas - I know that Atlanta was postponing it in legislation so I'm not sure it ever started there. The bigger midwestern cities like St Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc do all require the more expensive gas like Louisville.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM

So if you go over the bridge into Floyd Co. are you getting reformulated gas or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area