Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 10,902 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are looking at potentially relocating to Louisville from Fort Collins CO. We are wondering what neighborhoods/suburbs would be good to look at. My husband is an engineer, and he has not started to look for jobs yet. We are still in the research mode. He will probably work downtown though, unless we find an engineering firm somewhere outside of downtown Louisville. We can spend up to 250000 on our new home, and we don't mind something that we have to do work on if it is in a good location. We would like to stick to public schools. We don't want to live in a really urban environment. We would like the feel of an exciting but small city. Fort Collins has a lot of cool restaurants, shops, and bars. We would like a similar atmosphere without having to live in the city of Louisville. He doesn't mind a 20-25 min. commute. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
You'd want to look in Northeast Louisville (East of I-264, North of Bardstown Rd) and Oldham County

Bardstown Rd inside of I-264 and Frankfort Ave has lots of local shops and dinners

Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 AM

72 posts, read 228,140 times
I'm curious what is bringing you to Louisville?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc1222 View Post
Hello. My husband and I are looking at potentially relocating to Louisville from Fort Collins CO. We are wondering what neighborhoods/suburbs would be good to look at. My husband is an engineer, and he has not started to look for jobs yet. We are still in the research mode. He will probably work downtown though, unless we find an engineering firm somewhere outside of downtown Louisville. We can spend up to 250000 on our new home, and we don't mind something that we have to do work on if it is in a good location. We would like to stick to public schools. We don't want to live in a really urban environment. We would like the feel of an exciting but small city. Fort Collins has a lot of cool restaurants, shops, and bars. We would like a similar atmosphere without having to live in the city of Louisville. He doesn't mind a 20-25 min. commute. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Louisville is a big city, but not a big city like Denver. The suburbs of Louisville will not offer you the quaint town feel like you have in Fort Collins. Believe it or not, that quaint yet urban feel can be found in the city in the Highlands and Crescent Hill. I would look there first, but if you must search more suburban, you will definitely like Oldham County and perhaps LaGrange, KY.

Also, you sound like a prime candidate for Welcome to Norton Commons, a Traditional Neighborhood Development in Prospect, Kentucky It is a new urbanism community in the burbs that is like its own small town that is developing a main street with shops and restaurants.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM

270 posts, read 934,975 times
I have to agree - Norton Commons is a unique and beautiful new development and definitely worth checking out. Although, isn't NC in a little higher price range than $250k? On their web site there are a couple of duplexes right at $250k, but no single family detached houses. Still, an option worth looking in to.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
I have to agree - Norton Commons is a unique and beautiful new development and definitely worth checking out. Although, isn't NC in a little higher price range than $250k? On their web site there are a couple of duplexes right at $250k, but no single family detached houses. Still, an option worth looking in to.
You will want Oldham County if public schools are important. Other posters will argue that I am biased. I am very biased. I like my money to buy the most bang for the buck, and I can prove my bias.

The main issue of JCPS is their school assignment plan. You may get your kids into a great JCPS school, but then again, you might not. In Oldham County, your child will attend one of nine nearly equal quality elementary schools (5 of which are in buildings 5 yrs old or less) There are four middle schools, one new building, one major remodel, and two just over 20 yrs old. The three high schools are all in modern (one new, one major remodel) and every school is 100% electronic. I can't speak for two of the schools, but Oldham County High offers students college 100 and 200 level courses which transfer to most major colleges. The ACT/SAT average scores for all three are top 15 in the state. Oldham County has one of, if not the highest, levels of Board Certified teaching staffs in Kentucky and within 200 miles.

Oldham County homes are 90% modern as most have been built since 1978. We live in a 1980 model home with 2300 sq, 1.1 acre lot, 2 1/2 car garage, and 6 minutes to I-71 or I-265. A home typical to ours is valued about 250-300k.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
If you need Jefferson County I also agree with Norton Commons. It is so darn cute!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 41,722 times
What about rentals in this area?
In CA, we have rentals in almost every area, but they truly range.
thanks for your help

Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 PM

153 posts, read 538,275 times
there are rentals in Norton Commons. there are generic complexes all over the place. the rentals in Norton Commons are loft style and look to be greater than $1250 per month.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:38 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
my opinion.... never rent more house than you absolutely must. There is no tax credit, no equity, no reason. Be comfortable, but never overly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area