Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM

32 posts, read 96,894 times

Advertisements

I personally like the idea of a planned community, but it looks like Norton is a bit too expensive. I like the walkability of it, planned events that kind of thing.

Can anyone suggest other planned communities in the area (Oldham Co?) that have community pools, close to a Y, restaurants, businesses etc?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcforbreakfast View Post
I personally like the idea of a planned community, but it looks like Norton is a bit too expensive. I like the walkability of it, planned events that kind of thing.

Can anyone suggest other planned communities in the area (Oldham Co?) that have community pools, close to a Y, restaurants, businesses etc?

Thanks!
In the Louisville area, Norton Commons is a unique place. While in fact most every area development since the 1990's is a "planned" community, there is nothing like NC at all. I would suggest you might wish to look in the Shelbyville Road area between I-265 and Eastwood. That area is more of a mega-developed area, but has lots of your criteria.

In Oldham County, you will find the Y located about 1/2 mile north of the exit 17 ramps from I-71. You will also find the area around exit 22 south to be "coming along".

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In the Louisville area, Norton Commons is a unique place.
I have to agree and that's what makes it special, imo.

Maybe we can come up with some areas that have similar attributes, but nothing quite like NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I would suggest you might wish to look in the Shelbyville Road area between I-265 and Eastwood.
I like that area as well. If you get off the main drag, it still has a rural feel in parts.

It's a shame that whoever is running Eastwood doesn't realize their potential. They have a tiny row of commercial buildings that are basically going empty when they should be filling it up with nice little shops. And there is not a single restaurant in Eastwood.

Last edited by Off Topic; 07-24-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 AM

Hmmnnn...well that's a bummer. I really liked the concept of Norton Commons, but it's just way too expensive.

We don't mind small yards and being close to neighbors (in fact we like that!). I'd also really like to stick with something walkable to school, stores, restaurants, that kind of thing, but still very family friendly with a lot of kids. Maybe that doesn't exist. Does the Highlands fit that bill? Or is it more young singles? Thanks!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 AM

153 posts, read 538,100 times
We all thought you were talking about new construction. The Cherokee Triangle, much of the Highlands as well as Crescent Hill all fit your needs perfectly. These are the types of neighborhoods that new developments like Norton Commons were modeled after. These neighborhoods cannot be replicated by a Norton Commons type development and are quite rare in America.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
We all thought you were talking about new construction. The Cherokee Triangle, much of the Highlands as well as Crescent Hill all fit your needs perfectly. These are the types of neighborhoods that new developments like Norton Commons were modeled after. These neighborhoods cannot be replicated by a Norton Commons type development and are quite rare in America.
Excellent Post!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 AM

Thanks so much for your help! I"m going to start a new post with more details!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,243 times
Actually there are two areas in Oldham Co. where an attempt was made to create a smaller version of Norton Commons - Artisan Park (LaGrange) and Celebration Park (Crestwood). Both developments were started about the time the economy started going haywire and didn't have the opportunity to flourish. Artisan Park is the most developed and has some very nice arts & crafts homes. Celebration Park looks somewhat smaller. You may want to check them out for yourself.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
There are many places for sale in Norton Commons...some of them have been for sale for well over a year. It might be that some owners would be consider an offer that is quite a bit less than their asking price....drive around the neighborhood - you will be surprised at how many for sale signs you see.

We do vounteer work in the Highlands. The architecture and mature landscaping is wonderful. However, it really is a mixed bag on many of the streets. There are rundown houses, trash on the streets, too many junky porches, lack of practical garages, tons of traffic and higher crime than other places. Those neighborhoods have lots of charm but there are drawbacks too.

Norton Commons is neat, clean (maybe sterile to some) but there isn't an ill-kept house or yard in the place and generally not a lot of traffic. The major drawback to me about NC is that the houses are too close together - not enough privacy. I think many of the homes for sale there are overpriced for resale which explains why so many of the same houses have been for sale for many many months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area