Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:46 AM

788 posts, read 4,069,240 times

Advertisements

I read on Wikipedia (not the most reliable source) that Louisville has a problem with pollution and often ranks high on cities with the worst air quality. Can some locals chime in with their opinion regarding this topic? I am interested in a possible relocation there. I am currently in Sacramento, CA and whenever you take a little drive up to the foothills, you can see the smog over the entire city. I would like to try to avoid that in my new place, if possible. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I read on Wikipedia (not the most reliable source) that Louisville has a problem with pollution and often ranks high on cities with the worst air quality. Can some locals chime in with their opinion regarding this topic? I am interested in a possible relocation there. I am currently in Sacramento, CA and whenever you take a little drive up to the foothills, you can see the smog over the entire city. I would like to try to avoid that in my new place, if possible. Thanks in advance!
Louisville does not have pollution like California, but there are a few air quality problems with a few particles. As you know, tere are different types of pollutants. The problem in Louisville is basically relegated to some days in the summer where there is not much of a breeze. On these days, because of Louisville's valley location, the air can be a bit troublesome for asthma or allergy sufferers. Still...we are in KY lol the air is not that bad, and Louisville is actually a decent clip smaller than Sacramento. As a general rule, the bigger the city, the worse the pollution. There are some small towns with bad pollution, and these are usually by mountains or have super heavy industry left over.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville does not have pollution like California, but there are a few air quality problems with a few particles. As you know, tere are different types of pollutants. The problem in Louisville is basically relegated to some days in the summer where there is not much of a breeze. On these days, because of Louisville's valley location, the air can be a bit troublesome for asthma or allergy sufferers. Still...we are in KY lol the air is not that bad, and Louisville is actually a decent clip smaller than Sacramento. As a general rule, the bigger the city, the worse the pollution.

Here is the list I believe you saw:

City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

I am not sure what to make of this list since it does not say what the particle polluntants are. In Louisville, much of the pollutants come from industry on the west side of the city. This is not a desirable area to live in anyways, so as long as you stay away from there, you are fine. As you can see from the list, every major city has some air problems, but CA is particulary bad especially for smog, which is not a problem in Louisville.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 PM

What a great response. Thanks! I don't need to cross Louisville off the "possible relocation" list then.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 AM

32 posts, read 139,942 times
I'm a former L.A. girl who lived in Louisville for 10 years (we're moving back there this summer from Boston) and I would agree any "pollution" didn't seem anywhere on the same scale as L.A. I remember that blanket of brown air over the city and I don't recall seeing that in Louisville. I never even knew there was a "problem" . I'm sure the facts shed the most light, but from a layman's perspective, I thought it was fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks Cinnamon Girl-I am more interested in what live people have to say than an anonymous author on Wikipedia. When are you making the move back?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 AM

32 posts, read 139,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Thanks Cinnamon Girl-I am more interested in what live people have to say than an anonymous author on Wikipedia. When are you making the move back?
My husband will be heading down for a new job at the end of this month while I stay back with the kids and get the house on the market. We hope to join him by the end of July at the latest (school would start for them mid-August) . I am more than excited to get back there. Life is just so pleasant and easy in Louisville. We should have never left, but my husband is from the Boston area and after we had kids, we wanted to be near family. Fast forward 7 years and the call back was just too strong for us!

Good luck with your decision. Louisville does not disappoint.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Here is the list I believe you saw:

City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

I am not sure what to make of this list since it does not say what the particle polluntants are. In Louisville, much of the pollutants come from industry on the west side of the city. This is not a desirable area to live in anyways, so as long as you stay away from there, you are fine. As you can see from the list, every major city has some air problems, but CA is particulary bad especially for smog, which is not a problem in Louisville.
Particle pollution, called particulate matter or PM, is a combination of fine solids and aerosols that are suspended in the air we breathe. PM can be solids, like dust, ash, or soot. PM can also be completely liquid aerosols or solids suspended in liquid mixtures.

Particles come from different sources. Burning fuel is a major source of the smallest types of particle pollution —whether from woodstoves to diesel trucks and buses to coal-fired power plants. Larger particles also come from other sources, including agricultural practices or wind-blown soil and dust.

Now you know ...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Particle pollution, called particulate matter or PM, is a combination of fine solids and aerosols that are suspended in the air we breathe. PM can be solids, like dust, ash, or soot. PM can also be completely liquid aerosols or solids suspended in liquid mixtures.

Particles come from different sources. Burning fuel is a major source of the smallest types of particle pollution —whether from woodstoves to diesel trucks and buses to coal-fired power plants. Larger particles also come from other sources, including agricultural practices or wind-blown soil and dust.

Now you know ...
You sound like an expert. Thank you!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post

Now you know ...

Thanks Davart. I know what the different particles are. I have seen tables listing them. I just did not know the types of particles measured in that particular study. As you know, certain polls like to take real data and skew it to their liking. As a scientific person, that is a bit annoying let me say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: