Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 19,026 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've read all I could get on Lubbock but I have some questions.

Could someone explain the wind to me? Is it breezy like hair being moved about or is it dust being blown in the eyes? Is the wind usually from the same direction? Do people complain of bad allergies or allergy season? Since it is a cooler/temperate climate most of the year does the air feel "fresh"?

Oh BTW, I live in SW FL. And want out from the half a year humid swamp weather.

I've read about dust storms, but can you tell me the experience of one? How long do they last? Do you need to take precautions with the outside central air unit? Are you needing a leaf blower to "clean up" afterwards?

How are your grocery stores? Is there a lot of organic produce? Does anyone sell fresh off the farm goat milk or does any stores sell pasteurized goat milk?

Is there a loose dog problem? Graffiti? Which areas do you stay away from?

I understand Texas Tech is massive size wise, but is there just outside campus streets that are always crawling with kids, with cafes coffee shops, bookstores, pizza, taco, sportbar sort of streets that cater to them, and those who like the youthful enviornment and cheap eats?

The people are very friendly I understand but is it any one predominant Christianity? Is the introductory conversation usually shifted to what church do you go to? Do the majority care if you go to their church, or any church, or is this a non-issue.

Now I've never considered the Plains, but now that I'm leaning that away I'm thinking I will like it by comparing it to other places I like. I enjoy the beach and mostly because of the breeze and openness. I don't like hot summer beach but FL winter beach. I think the Plains being nothing but open and breezy can be like that. Is it a fair comparison? Or not really. I've never been in the middle of nothing for as far as the eye can see. Very primitive savannah like I think.

A lot of questions I know, thank you for indulging me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 AM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
Quick answer to most of your questions:
The wind blows frequently, and can be really bad in Feb-March-April. The amount of blowing dust is related to how much rain the area has had recently and the status of the fields in the surrounding farmland. Occasionally, Lubbock has what I call "mud storms" where it is raining and the dust is blowing at the same time. I remember one back in the mid 90's where my white car was temporarily turned brown. The dust storms are not so bad that you need a leaf blower. The rest of the year, the wind is blowing, but it's not usually bothersome.

After a spring thunderstorm, I think the air feels particularly fresh. The lower humidity year-around also makes the air feel cleaner, to me at least.

Pretty good selection of grocery stores. United is the leader, and their upscale Market Street stores are stocked with lots of fresh produce (including organic) and meats.

I''m not aware of any loose dog or graffiti problems, but then again, I've been away for a number of years.

Like any big college town, Texas Tech has lots of areas/clubs/restaurants nearby where students like to hang out. University Ave, just east of campus, is the main drag. The Depot District, although small compared to many other city's party/club areas, tends to get a lot of press. Back when I attended Tech, we had much less to choose from.

I've never thought of West Texas being anything like the beach, but I guess the constant breeze could loosely be compared to a sea breeze....

Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Mud storms!!! LOL now that is a once in a lifetime treat.

Thank you for such a speedy reply. Constant breeze sounds great to me. In Feb March April is it once, twice 10 times each month that it gets bad?

Got one more question.

Is there any real estate office or local news program that produces a video of the area? I'd like to have a dvd look around if there is such a production? Would the library have such an item? Or maybe Texas Tech puts together their campus and in addition what there is in Lubbock? Anyone find such a thing?

Thank you.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default You'll Like It

I'll see if I can find any productions of the area in general. In the meantime, you will love the area. It's a little bit different, but it's still Texas. The area is experiencing its largest growth spurt ever, and for them to do it while the rest of the country's economy is down is a big achievement. They have the largest number of restaurants per capita of any city in the U.S. (believe it or not), and you won't go hungry there. They also pride themselves on local business, but they're also a strong regional hub for commerce and medicine, with the largest medical center concentration between Dallas and Phoenix. The infrastructure is improving each day, with more to come. Downtown is on the verge of a renaissance thanks in no small part to one prominent local developer. One of the biggest new properties that needs to be mentioned more is the Reese Technology Center. It's in West Lubbock and it is a mecca for companies specializing in technology and research.

reesetechnologycenter.com - Home

Also, Texas Tech's enrollment is growing each year and they've had an exciting sports atmosphere (and you're hearing this from a Texas Longhorn fan), most recently by the school's football and basketball success. And if former basketball coach Bob Knight loves this place, then I think you will, too. The places most livable in Lubbock are the southwest and the northwest sides of town. If you're looking for a church, you have choices, and don't worry about people "looking down on you". Visit around, and make your choice, and pray about it. Also, there's a rock-n-roll and Texas music heritage in Lubbock and this place is famous for a number of artists, most notably Buddy Holly. If you like wine, the area has four wineries, including a new, unusual one in town not far from the Tech campus. And I would also be amiss not to tell you that there are numerous job opportunities in the area, but that depends on what you're shooting for. But you will love this city, its sunrises, and its sunsets.

Here are some more links:

Lubbock Centennial Celebration - Home

Lubbock - Planning - Demographics & Economics: 2004 Report

Lubbock Magazine - Fine Living on the Llano Estacado

http://www.lubbockeda.org/

Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
All right, Case. I know you're the world's biggest advocate of Lubbock - nothing wrong with that - but I can't have you go spreading falsehoods in an attempt to play up the city.

Lubbock does NOT have the most restaurants per capita of any city; that honor belongs to Dallas according to this report.. My understanding is Lubbock is only 5th in Texas in this regard.

Also, Reese Technology Center may one day be a "mecca" but right now it is not much to write home about. I work in the technology industry, and I keep an eye on these things, since I might move back to Lubbock someday. Reese has a few interesting small companies such as Watts Energy wind research and the food cryogenics place, but it also has such lower-tech tenants as a home builder, and IT consulting firm and a DAYCARE center. As high-tech cities go, Lubbock is still WAY WAY down at the bottom of the list. I wish it was higher, but it simply isn't.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
I lived in Lubbock for a few years and really loved it. Of course, I don't love the ocean and the beach, so my opinion may not mean much. But when I think of Lubbock I see bright sunshine.....even in the cold winter the sun usually shines. It's a safe little city (if you stay out of a certain area) and there are usually activites/plays/concerts on campus that the whole city enjoys.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
All right, Case. I know you're the world's biggest advocate of Lubbock - nothing wrong with that - but I can't have you go spreading falsehoods in an attempt to play up the city.

Lubbock does NOT have the most restaurants per capita of any city; that honor belongs to Dallas according to this report.. My understanding is Lubbock is only 5th in Texas in this regard.

Also, Reese Technology Center may one day be a "mecca" but right now it is not much to write home about. I work in the technology industry, and I keep an eye on these things, since I might move back to Lubbock someday. Reese has a few interesting small companies such as Watts Energy wind research and the food cryogenics place, but it also has such lower-tech tenants as a home builder, and IT consulting firm and a DAYCARE center. As high-tech cities go, Lubbock is still WAY WAY down at the bottom of the list. I wish it was higher, but it simply isn't.

Now, Juggler, there are different sources, my friend, regarding the restaurant thing. It just depends on what we both read about. I'll gather my sources next time and I'll try to do better at backing up my claim. And, yes, I did exaggerate the mecca thing a little bit with Reese TC, but I have unwavered high optimism that the Center will get there one day. I realize that it's still new, but it's going to attract companies. We have to give it time.

But I know you can back me up on those other things.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 PM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Occasionally, Lubbock has what I call "mud storms" where it is raining and the dust is blowing at the same time. I remember one back in the mid 90's where my white car was temporarily turned brown.

I remember a time when I was outside at a park when a mud storm blew in. It looked like a tidal wave of dirt was blowing in. It was a sight to see. I started running for my car and luckily made it. Then when I got home and had to get back out... I had mud spots all over me where the rain and dirt mixed together and fell. It was interesting! However... out of the 17+ years I lived there, this was the only crazy storm like that. Usually it's just really nasty wind for one day and then you're fine. But you will find dirt in your nose, ears, hair, mouth, etc. on those days. It doesn't happen very often.

I loved the climate in Lubbock. I miss it. The day could be up in the 90s and then when the sun goes down... it drops 20 degrees. The mornings are just as pleasant. Not like in a humid climate when you go out at night and it still feels muggy and uncomfortable.

Orange1.... the United Marketstreet grocery stores are VERY nice. Wish I had them here in East Texas. The grocery stores here are terrible!

As far as a video goes... first thing that popped in my head... was to see the commercials about Lubbock during the times a Texas Tech football game is being aired. Otherwise... I guess a library might be your only help. What are you wanting to know about the scenery? Maybe I could help. My parents still live there and have an amazing yard... huge trees, tons of flowers... not what one would think to find in West Texas.

Lubbock has a special place in my heart. If you chose to move there.... I hope you are able to love it like I did.

Last edited by Back2TX; 11-21-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Your links and stories have been a big help to me. On the Chamber of Commerce site there was a "video" even my pathetic dial-up managed it quite nicely. That was more than I've seen of Lubbock. Wish there was a longer dvd of the area.

For a video I'd hope to drive down some streets, and the college and include some farms some sunsets, enterainment district, inside a mall or two, a few parks, some outdoor art/sculpture and fountains. So ok Lubbickniks, Lubbicknis, Lubbickners, whatever you should be called, how about an amateur film of the area?

Thank you,
Orange

Old 11-23-2008, 02:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
The wind here is pleasant most of the time, and it keeps the air clean and refreshing most of the time. The only time the wind is not refreshing is if it's from the southwest or southeast. When the wind comes from the southwest, it brings the hot, dirty air from the desert and we have a dust storm. It's a very weird and eerie feeling during a dust storm because the sky turns pink and you hear the wind trying to blow in from outside. Dust storms last for a few hours and sometimes a whole day, and there is usually no dust deposited because it all blew away. There are only a handful of these days a year, and they're usually in spring or early fall. When the wind comes the southeast, it gets humid and hot; those days aren't fun at all.

United Supermarkets is the main grocery store here, and they are very nice. The United Market Streets have a decent selection of foods, and we just got a new World Market. You will probably find fresh organic foods and maybe goat milk at the farmers market on Slide Road south of town.

There are no loose dog and graffiti problems to my knowlege. The parts of town to stay away from are the east and northeast sides of town.

As you probably already know, Lubbock has a lot of churches and church-goers, but people are open and live and let live. People might ask you what church you go to, but they are probably just getting to know you, not passing judgment. They don't care what church you go to or if you go to church at all. I believe Baptist is the predominant denomination, followed closely by Catholicism.

Comparing the plains' wind to the beaches is a stretch, but they are both open, breezy, and have beautiful sunsets. You need to come here to see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock