Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM

185 posts, read 349,959 times

Advertisements

Besides Amarillo...
Basically, if there was a city in Texas that Lubbock in most "connected" to, in terms of travel patterns, business connections, hometowns of Texas Tech students, and relatives in other cities, which one would it be?

I would say that it'd be Dallas, even though a city like Albuquerque is almost just as close.

For instance, I've noticed that Southwest Airlines has service to Lubbock.. but it's just a stub service that connects at the Dallas Hub.
What cities do most students at Texas Tech come from?

If you live in Lubbock, which other city in Texas do you visit most often?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Besides Amarillo...
Basically, if there was a city in Texas that Lubbock in most "connected" to, in terms of travel patterns, business connections, hometowns of Texas Tech students, and relatives in other cities, which one would it be?

I would say that it'd be Dallas, even though a city like Albuquerque is almost just as close.

For instance, I've noticed that Southwest Airlines has service to Lubbock.. but it's just a stub service that connects at the Dallas Hub.
What cities do most students at Texas Tech come from?

If you live in Lubbock, which other city in Texas do you visit most often?
Dallas has the most connections to Lubbock, though people who live there come from all over the nation (50 states) and world (over 90 countries), mostly due to Tech. Most Tech students I believe come from the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas, though they come from every part of the state.

Last I checked, Lubbock/Preston Smith Airport had nonstop flights to Love Field, DFW, Houston, Austin, Albuquerque, Memphis, Vegas, and Denver.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
I think I'm the only Lubbockite with a regular presence on here. I would definitely say DFW. I would not be surprised if over half of the students at Tech are from the suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth. My family has several friends and relatives in the Metroplex. It seems like much of our in-migration comes from DFW.

We have a saying here that goes "Whether you're going to Heaven or Hell, you have to go through DFW," though that's less the case now. I think you can get direct flights to Austin, DFW and Love, IAH and Hobby, Las Vegas (Lubbock is a stop on the Southwest flight from Dallas to LV), Memphis, and maybe Albuquerque and Denver.

For shopping that you can't do here, Dallas and Forth Worth are the most popular destinations, but for weekend trips it really just depends. San Antonio, Austin, and Albuquerque/Santa Fe are only slightly farther away.

The last time I was in the Metroplex (not counting layovers) was over two years ago, but I've visited San Antonio, Austin, and Houston several times since. I think I'm an unusual case though.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,341 times
Mentone.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM

185 posts, read 349,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Mentone.
LOL sure...

But I'm not surprised about DFW. I guess I was correct!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
Although it's been a long time since I lived there, I'd agree that back in the 1970s anyway there seemed to be an interesting bilateral connection between Dallas and Lubbock, with movement both directions between the two. I always noticed there were quite a lot of students at Tech from Dallas. By contrast, when I moved to Austin I found there seemed to be distinctly little connection between Austin and Dallas, but instead there was an Austin-Houston connection that was striking to me by contrast -- but it worked exactly the same way as the Lubbock-Dallas connection: lots of movement between the two cities and at UT-Austin lots of students from Houston (but seemingly few from Dallas).

Old 04-26-2011, 02:28 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,205 times
When I was at Tech back in the early 90's the majority of fellow students I met on campus were from the DFW area. From what Shoe and Westerner are saying above, it sounds like that hasn't changed. I also knew and met a lot of people from other West Texas cities as well.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
For shopping that you can't do here, Dallas and Forth Worth are the most popular destinations, but for weekend trips it really just depends. San Antonio, Austin, and Albuquerque/Santa Fe are only slightly farther away.
Actually, if I remember correctly from my time living in Lubbock, Albuquerque is actually a little closer to Lubbock than Dallas. With that said, it always seemed like Lubbock media was extremely fixated on Dallas. I guess it would be accurate to say that Lubbock connects itself to Dallas, but the opposite certainly isn't accurate. I loved living in Lubbock, but it is a pretty insular and isolated place overall just due to its geographic location.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
Actually, if I remember correctly from my time living in Lubbock, Albuquerque is actually a little closer to Lubbock than Dallas. With that said, it always seemed like Lubbock media was extremely fixated on Dallas. I guess it would be accurate to say that Lubbock connects itself to Dallas, but the opposite certainly isn't accurate. I loved living in Lubbock, but it is a pretty insular and isolated place overall just due to its geographic location.
Albuquerque is closer to Lubbock than Dallas is, but not Fort Worth. Lubbock is isolated for sure, but I've never really seen it as insular. I'd say it's because of our isolation that people here are very interested in what's going on elsewhere and are, in general, well-traveled.

Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso are all roughly the same distance from Lubbock, but because of its sheer size, DFW tends to have the most influence here.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,490 times
Ive noticed Midland and Odessa are most connected to Lubbock for me and I imagine several people I say that because when I want to get out of town I go south to those cities and they offer a little bit different shops and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock