Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,481 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where there is a good place to move to around Macon area and how is rental and house prices? Average household income, taxes good schools of elementary. Any links and or comments would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
North Macon has been the talk of middle georgia, and it would be a great place for you to relocate. I went out there this past wednesday, and it seems like a completly different city. Much of the land is being leveled off to build suburban homes, and prime retail including an outdoor mall. Its sad to say that taxes are on the rise, primarily to build schools, and nice parks. The Board of Education recently approved a tax digest which would add $59 dollars of taxes to any house valued over $100,000. Its not set in stone yet, but has a high rate of being approved. Taxes are 7 percent.

The schools in this area are some of the best in Middle Georgia, I will do some research on the area as far as prices and get back to you.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,481 times
Mayor
Anything on the median income and how about traffic head out on the weekends like friday's. My job will be distribution throught the state and would like to know how traffic is on certain days. ie headed to the beach on fridays for the weekend. Any help on rentals and houses would be great.
Thank you

Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM

78 posts, read 371,257 times
I have lived in Macon my whole life except college years and we are now moving toward Atlanta due to job relocation and (by choice) for my husband. Anyway, we have 2 small children and I am a sahm and talk to many other moms in the area. To me the best elementary in Macon is Springdale in north Macon , but I would rather live over off Zebulon Road lots of new growth but not so congested. The only truly horrific traffic is I16 to I75 at 5pm in the afternoon to me. Monroe County is nice to just not much in the way of convenience if you move too far out in the county (I taught school there). Rent here seems to run around 800 to 1100 for a 3 bedroom apartment not sure what you need. Macon is nice though in that you have restaurants, traffic is minimal, and nice people. Schools though are not the greatest, but Alexander II Magnet is here and is great. Lots of kids here go to private school. Hope this helps some.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM

As of the 2000 Census the median household income for the City of Macon was $23,000. Median household income for Bibb County ( The County which Macon is located ) was $33,000. Since 2000 Bibb County, and Robins Air Force Base, has added many higher paying jobs. So as of now I estimate a slow increase for Macon of $24,000, and a high increase for Bibb County of $37,000.

North Macon which isnt a city but located outside of Macon but within the same county has very wealthy people. Many million dollar homes are located in this area.

The population of Macon stands at 93,000 people but at the peak of the day, that population can rise to some 150,000+ people, due to Macon's impact on its region. Many people come to Macon to shop, work, and have fun, however it doesnt really cause much traffic problem.

The two downtown Macon exits located on I-16 see alot of traffic, everyday from 7-9 AM and 4-6 PM. Mercer University Drive which is home to the 7th Best University in South out of 120 Colleges and Universities, also see alot of traffic roughly around the same times as the downtown Macon exits. Traffic is the same on Fridays, but people are crazier and more anxious to get home, so theres alot of road rage.

If you need any information about Macon, whether its great restauraunt suggestion, activities to do, or more political, and livng question feel free to ask, I will answer them to the best of my ability, and im sure there are others here who can help you. If you could elaborate more on the vacation and beaches I could possibly help you with that as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,737 times
There are many good areas to live in around Macon but your needs for a place to live can be very specific to which area you choose. Of course it is fairly easy to live in and commute to any area of Macon so it is mostly up to you as to what you are looking for in a home and if you need schools for children. If you want good schools and would like to be near many military folks it is pretty easy but I would recommend the Bonaire area for best of all worlds; school, real estate, access to both interstates, shopping etc. Only bad thing about this area is going to be traffic. It is quickly growing and is the perfect example of urban sprawl. Great hunting and fishing there, cheap land just across the river into Twiggs County but schools in Twiggs are far from being ideal. You can make it most any part of the state from this area in less than 3 hrs. Nice home rentals all over the area would be considered cheap on the national average. Sounds like you already have a job traveling so this would be ideal for you. I sold real estate all over GA before joining the military and even though many things have changed there in the last 3 years it remains pretty constant so much of the information I gained about the area will still hold true. If you need exact information or would recommendations as to which realtors to use or which apts to look into just shoot me a direct msg. I can't advertise for them here. I know several people that will look out for you when helping to find your home there instead of just looking out for thier own pockets. Macon and WR are considered 2 different real estate markets but some of the realtors there have co-ops to work together in the search of the entire metro area. Good luck and best of wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsoldierboy View Post
Can anyone tell me where there is a good place to move to around Macon area and how is rental and house prices? Average household income, taxes good schools of elementary. Any links and or comments would be very helpful.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
The northside of Macon seems pretty nice to me. Although in my opinion, All of Georgia's Fall Line cities (Columbus, Macon, Augusta) are about the same. The Macon downtown apears to be somewhat rundown but not as bad as Augusta. The northside suburbs are about what you'll find in most metro areas.. You'll find your chain stores and restaurants... YOur Pier One... Your OUtback Steakhouses and Chili's.. YOu'll find newer subdivisions.. though of the cookie cutter "faux French Provencale" mold.. they are clean, safe, and spacious.. You do get a lot of bang for your buck in regards to housing in the Macon area. Macon actually has a very nice shopping mall. It's pretty centrally located and easily acessible from all parts of the metro area. I guess the best part about Macon is its proximity to Atlanta. It's little more than an hours drive.. so it's close enough to make weekend runs to the big city for shopping.. entertainment.. etc that a bigger city offers.. but also far enough away to not have to deal with the hassles.
I have heard the schools in Macon proper are pretty bad... but the ones in the northern burbs are much better (but isn't this pretty much the case everywhere?)

Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM

The Macon Mall is great but people consider it to be high crime, and earlier this year it was, but crime has gone down since alot of the citizens are tired of the crime, and there just doing something about it. Many crimes have decreased in Macon by as much as 30%. The Macon Mall is great considered to be the largest outside of Georgia, but stores are on the decline, and could possibly shut down due to the growth in both North and South Bibb County. Especially with a million acre mall going up in North Bibb County right outside of Macon.

Macon is great especially the North Side. Both the North Side and South Side of Bibb County, which has seen alot of growth, could posibly form suburban cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon