Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

Glad to see the momentum is continuing for companies expanding in Macon and Middle Georgia
Companies look in Macon-Bibb for possible location | Business | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Yea, I just read that. Great news for Macon. We really do have a lot of positives here. We are straight up 16 from the port and lie on 75 close to Atlanta, but far enough away that traffic isn't an issue and all of Florida is within a day's drive on the interstate. We have a good climate, good post-secondary educational options, abundant water (huge plus in this region of the country), good road and rail infrastructure, etc. These are all positives for manufacturing and distribution centers. Those arent the high-paying corporate jobs everyone wants, but given the current economy, it is great.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
midgeorgiaman, do you think Macon has a decent chance at becoming the next Atlanta or Greensboro,NC when it comes to logistics? I think it could especially with the I-75/16 interchange being rebuilt and the possibility of the Sardis Church Rd/Sgoda Road extension (future I-14) and any future runway expansion of Middle Georgia Regional Airport.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM

242 posts, read 340,922 times
This is really great news for the Macon area. Although these companies may not bring the high-paying corporate jobs. If the momentum continues they will soon follow. I think with the Macon-Bibb consolidation it's going to open doors for more opportunities and we will see a lot more developments and companies looking at this area. I think if the new elected Officials play their cards and successfully work together Macon come explode into what it should have been over 30 years ago. I think Macon could become the next hot spot in GA growth and as a logistics and Distribution HUB; But that's going to fall in the court of this upcoming new governments.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:29 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
midgeorgiaman, do you think Macon has a decent chance at becoming the next Atlanta or Greensboro,NC when it comes to logistics? I think it could especially with the I-75/16 interchange being rebuilt and the possibility of the Sardis Church Rd/Sgoda Road extension (future I-14) and any future runway expansion of Middle Georgia Regional Airport.
I doubt Macon will ever be a competitor with Atlanta and I am not familiar with Greensboro, but logistics is a natural choice for this region. We are a days drive by truck from anywhere in the southeast. Much further north and south Florida is out of reach in a day. Much farther west, you lose the Carolinas. Our rail infrastructure is better than most similar cities and an easy congestion free drive from the port of Savannah which is the busiest in the southeast/gulf region helps. I agree with Newtown on the importance of leadership now and IMO increasing the length of our airport runway should be a huge priority. Our local leaders need to get on that boat fast. Unfortunately Reichert and Hart moved the runway expansion from the regular Splost to the Tsplost on a gamble and lost. That was the biggest goof-up of their leadership in my opinion. The train has not yet left the station, but we as a community need to rectify the runway soon.

I think Sgoda rd extension is dead after the most recent report by the state that deemed it basically wasteful, but I think that was more of a pipe dream than anything. I really dont think its needed. Twiggs County would benefit more than anything IMO. I16-75 is a mess and who knows what will come of that, but I don't see that as a dealbreaker either. Location is huge and direct interstate access to the port of Savannah and direct interstate access to Atlanta and FL is what sets us apart. The Fall Line Freeway is a great connection to points west and southwest too. I can now get to New Orleans in a bit over 7 hrs so trucks can do that in a day as well.

I14 while nice to think about is a lofty dream at this point. I wouldn't plan on that one getting built in the next 50 years.

American manufacturing seems to be having a mild resurgence as well and that could be a huge boon for Macon Bibb as well. Low cost of living keeps payrolls competitive and I believe ample water resources compared to many other southeastern cities helps us as well. I dont know if the current uptick in manufacturing will stay as I am no global economist, but it could be interesting.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 10-08-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
This is really great news for the Macon area. Although these companies may not bring the high-paying corporate jobs. If the momentum continues they will soon follow. I think with the Macon-Bibb consolidation it's going to open doors for more opportunities and we will see a lot more developments and companies looking at this area. I think if the new elected Officials play their cards and successfully work together Macon come explode into what it should have been over 30 years ago. I think Macon could become the next hot spot in GA growth and as a logistics and Distribution HUB; But that's going to fall in the court of this upcoming new governments.
FIX THE SCHOOLS! FIX THE SCHOOLS! FIX THE SCHOOLS!

(I think Mercer is going to boom as well and the impact on Macon could be extraordinary!)

Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Atlanta? No.

Greensboro? Closer, but it's roughly equidistant from Miami and NYC which is its selling point. It also has a much larger airport which ferries a lot of cargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: