Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 AM

149 posts, read 197,343 times

Advertisements

The Macon transit authority really need to step up with serving the citizens of this city/county. Many developed areas don't have a bus route within miles for people to access. South of Rocky creek Rd. such as Houston Rd. & Hartley Bridge Rd. each has many subdivisions, shopping, warehouses but no buses. North of Northside Dr.; Bass Rd. Tucker Rd., Riverside, Arkwright Rd. So much of everything yet no bus. West of MGSC the resident must keep dreaming I guess. The Ocmulgee East Blvd area where Macon's Second largest employer lies along with many other businesses; no bus. Really? Where are the crossing routes? a Grid system. All current routes lead to the terminal station. Really? Then, just say you're on Eisenhower, Pio nono or Riverside and just simply need to go a few blocks or miles straight ahead. You're going to be upset, confused and late. The airport could use some bus support too, then maybe when the next carrier come to town more than 2 passengers a day would fly to and from Atlanta. By the way Warner Robins is starving for adequate bus service too; Watson Blvd, Russell Pkwy, Houston Lake, inner city routes and yes; with Macon. I know there is currently an express route from the Terminal station to WR. Once Forest Hill Rd. widening is complete let's see a bus or 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 06:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Parking is free and plentiful and roads are rarely congested in Macon, therefore, MTA will remain the transportation of last resort for the poor...for the most part. Great public transit would be nice but the demand and density just arent there.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 AM

I know, if you're not able to maintain an automobile you must live in or near the core of the city, but to be honest any city that has public transportation should have a bus stop at or very near all public schools, industrial parks, hotel districts and public parks.
Think about each in a scenario:
In south Bibb, Rutland High, Rutland Middle and all the feeder elementary schools lack public transportation. Everyone involved better have a back-up plan. The principle, teachers and Kids that miss the school bus on an important day with parents far away. No airport service (Really), nor for the industrial parks around it.
In north Bibb; shopping galore, out of town hotel guess can't simply get on a bus to go shopping or site seeing, an automobile is a must. A business traveler bring a spouse or the family. The traveler uses the vehicle, all others are basically stuck until the ride get back.
In west Bibb, I have a cousin that lives in Waters edge. He attends Middle Georgia State college 4.5 miles away. A bus traveling down Columbus Rd. maybe twice in the morning and twice in the evening would ease some of the dilemma. He has severe sight problems and would endanger the public behind the wheel. Mom and dad work far away. He would still have a 2 mile hike to get to Columbus Rd.
In east Bibb; Those warehouses beyond Geico really should have a similar type of service. Buses don't have to run continuously just provide the alternative.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:10 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Well to be Honest with you, this is a MACON Problem Period... The MTA Bus System just isnt running where the Population is anymore. Reason being Most of the Macon Residents have moved to the outer portions of Bibb and Houston County,or Yes ATLANTA, while the Inner Core Near Downtown has suffered like Crazy and nothing or very little has been done to redevelop the Inner City. They Just Tear down the Delapated homes thinking thats going to solve Macons Problem and leave a Ghost Town with Empty holes, Isolated looking place. Prime Examples, Sections of 2nd, 3rd St. and Houston Ave. Even Shopping Centers like the WestGate Area looks like something out of a Zombie Movie, Ridiculous. On top of all of that, The bus Routes havent Changed in YEARS, Still pretty much run in the same Areas it has well over 20 to 30 years Ago. The only reason the City can even half way compete with other 2nd Tier Cities is Consolidation, and the people within the City and County Government knew that they had no other Choice, thats the only reason why they did it. My opinion and yes this is my personal opinion, i think one of Macons Biggest Mistakes was Changing there Transit Bus Style to a bunch of CutAway Buses, They look like a bunch of Church Buses Running around a City which is Ridiculous. For a City Macon's size that is not Appropriate. CutAway Buses should be Used for disabled Customers only, Not the GENERAL Population. They Claim they Changed to CutAWAYs due to Cost Efficiency and the Green Nature of the Buses,, SMH..Who ever is making the Decisions in Macon-Bibb County sure can make some bad decisions and make the City look bad, but whats New, this has been going on for YEARS. The better plan would have been to Expand the System County Wide, Especially since the City and County has Consolidated. Especially in Areas in Shopping Districts of North, West and South Bibb County or Macon Now that it has Supposedly Consolidated. Build Transit Hubs in the Suburban Corners of the County with Mini Park and Ride Lots and Bus Shelters. Build a Healthy Bus System with Regular Transit Buses that People can see it is a real TRANSIT SYSTEM and they will ride it. Focus on a Real Regional System Covering both Macon-Bibb and Warner Robins Houston County with real Transit Buses and Shelters for the Public and watch Rideship increase. The Macon Transit Authroity worries about the wrong things like Facilities and Terminal Stations, SMH, more than the System itself or the Citizens. The crazy part is they have lacked for years even getting Bus Shelter in the Parts of Town that needed them the Most, Prime Example Houston Ave. To be Honest the People of Macon has just what the people running there Govt. WANT them to have and it has been that way for years now. Some things never Change no matter what year it is sad to say. If you want better Services that you expect from a healthy Metro Area, Your only real option is to Leave, i have faced that fact...You cant beat a dead Horse

Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Amen oobanks, well put. I live in Bloomfield. I have transportation, but sometimes I seriously want to leave the car at home and ride a bus, but guess what? The nearest bus stop is 1.4 miles away on Rocky Creek the other is 2.6 miles away at the mall; Damn! I need to be places, not work out to get there. Then lets say I want to go to Mercer University Dr. @ 475; either way I gotta walk for miles, wait for ever, then go all the way downtown; SMH_ 5 miles the wrong way, cutting through "let's be real" the slumbs instead of staying on the main streets. Long have many people other than I wanted a bus to travel Bloomfield Dr. between Rocky Creek & the mall. I would still have a 3/4 mile walk but smiling; then a said route or connections simplified to get to Bass Rd. (North Macon or Belleview) from any part of Bloomfield without having to visit the lovely terminal station. I know someone who lives near West Oak and work near Westgate. She has to get on the west Macon bus, ride over Pio nono, switch downtown to the Mall bus. Yes she tried getting off at the mall and walk across but found it easier to go 7 extra miles. Yes multiple transfer stops would be nice. The mall; with routes for Eisenhower Pkwy, Mercer Uni. Dr., Bloomfield Rd., Bloomfield Dr. West Macon plus. Mercer University; connecting the campus to North Macon, West Macon and even Warner robins. The shops @ Riverside with routes sprouting to serve the city-county and to other transfer points. Warner Robins period. My question is; What is the transit department waiting for? They are always searching for ways to save money, but not taking the initiative to make money and step out of the 50's. The church busses smh. Lord help us. They wouldn't be necessary when accessing more people that truly wish they had a viable and reliable transit system.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:54 PM

70 posts, read 60,565 times
i ride the bus regularly. i agree it hate those cut away buses. i was in atlanta last week 7 they have new transit buses. thats what we need. along with routes going further into the county. would love to see the bus that goes out to the base run on sat. would like to be able to go to smilies. i dont mind the wait if the buses are on time but when they get way off the time its no fun. would like to see something going out to the lake once the water park is built out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon