Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:25 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,176,840 times

Advertisements

I believe a minor league team is feasible for Macon. I also believe a new stadium surrounded by hotels, restaurants and residential units would be a big boost for Macon's eastside and help expand the borders of downtown to the other side of the Ocmulgee River...
Quote:
A resolution to spend $50,000 on a market analysis and economic feasibility study for a minor league baseball team will go before the Macon-Bibb County Economic and Community Development Committee on Tuesday. The committee could decide Tuesday whether to send the resolution before the full commission next month.

In 2002, Macon lost its Class-A minor league Atlanta Braves affiliate to Rome after Macon leaders failed to make improvements at Luther Williams Field that Braves officials described as substandard.

In November 2014, Mayor Robert Reichert unveiled tentative redevelopment plans of building a minor league baseball stadium at the former Bibb Mill site that would be surrounded by restaurants, small hotels and a parking deck.

Read more here: Macon-Bibb officials to discuss feasibility study for minor league baseball team | The Telegraph
Macon-Bibb officials to discuss feasibility study for minor league baseball team | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:30 PM

841 posts, read 1,405,902 times
Macon-Bibb committee approves minor league baseball study
Macon-Bibb committee approves minor league baseball study | The Telegraph

Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 AM

246 posts, read 499,444 times
For what it's worth department:

I'm all for stepping up to the plate for another minor league baseball team, but not where the mayor obviously wants to put it...and where I'll bet the feasibility study will recommend it be built. The land surrounding the old mill location is available, which is a strong point, but the whole idea of developing additional "...restaurants, small hotels, and a parking deck." at that site just doesn't work in my vision. Much, much better in my dugout would be to build/develop on the downtown side of the river, and my preferred location for this is the northeast corner of Riverside and Spring Street. That area is large enough to accommodate a ball park, and there are already a number of nearby restaurants that would benefit. The Pizza Hut and Burger King currently at that spot would have to be accommodated, but it shouldn't be a problem especially if these food chains were provided substantial vendor privileges at the stadium. Traffic flow off I-16 to the mill site is marginally better than Riverside/Spring, but not dramatically so, and this minimal advantage would possibly be offset by increased congestion impeding emergency vehicles en route to/from the medical center.

Also, the Riverside/Spring Street intersection is already crossed by city transit going east-west, and north-south. It should be relatively easy for the MTA to take advantage of this opportunity to encourage Maconites to use public transit to the games.

A site on the west side of the river's downtown area will mean that businesses already there will be the more likely beneficiaries, which in turn will lead to a stronger and more viable downtown. Macon's future, as I've said before, is tied irrevocably to the health of her downtown. The stronger it is, and the healthier it is, the more likely the wealth will spread outwards and the more successful Macon will be going forward. Fort Wayne, Indiana, has a terrific ball park in her downtown, and it's been a huge player in that city's revitalization. Macon could easily do likewise.

Bert Bivins wants to keep a potential new ball team in the old location, and I'm not in favor of that either. What I would do, though, is to take the facade from the present Luther Williams Park, dismantle it, and reinstall in the new park, thereby mixing the old with the new. I think this could be quite impressive.

I do recall (admittedly vaguely) reading a while back that the Riverside/Spring site was previously planned for other development but that soil contamination did not allow residential usage and the developer balked. My understanding is that a ball park on this location would not be an issue.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM

70 posts, read 60,623 times
i like suggestion by curious george. using the facade from luther williams putting the park @ the riverside drive location. if we build a new stadium whats going to happen with luther williams?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM

A summer collegiate league is showing interest in bringing a team to the city...
Collegiate baseball league shows interest in Macon | The Telegraph

Old 10-06-2015, 06:53 PM

The feasibility study has been narrowly approved. I believe baseball can and will be successful in Middle Georgia. I myself prefer the Bibb Mill site for a new stadium.

Quote:
In a 5-4 vote, the Macon-Bibb County Commission on Tuesday narrowly approved spending $50,000 for a study to determine if the city can support a baseball team.

The commission vote essentially hires a Washington, D.C.-based firm to complete a market analysis and economic feasibility study. The close decision came after an attempt to send the resolution back to committee did not receive enough votes.

Brailsford & Dunlavey, which has experience in 50-plus ballpark projects, said once it starts on the study, it will take about 10 weeks to complete.

Voting against the measure were commissioners Bert Bivins, Elaine Lucas, Al Tillman and Virgil Watkins.

Mayor Robert Reichert, who sponsored the resolution, said after Tuesday’s meeting that he is excited the study will move forward. Brailsford & Dunlavey will provide a “candid assessment†of whether a new baseball team will work in Macon-Bibb.

“Part of the reason we selected this particular firm is because of the depth of their connections, associations and familiarity with minor league baseball,†he said.

Read more here: Baseball feasibility study OK
Baseball feasibility study OK

Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
They met with commissioners Tuesday to find out what their goals are for the study. The county hired B&D Venues to see if baseball is a good fit for the county.

Some commissioners said they were concerned about the number of people that would attend the games. B&D Venues representatives explained they factor location drive-times into the study. They mentioned a Single-A minor league team might be best for the county. Two examples given were the South Atlantic League and the Carolina League, but representatives said concerns about distance is a factor. B&D explained some teams would be interested in the Macon-Bibb, but recommended the county have a plan for a new stadium. Representatives said a new minor league stadium in Columbia, South Carolina cost about $42 million.

"A large investment, what they were talking about. If we're going to do it, [it] will be done with a whole lot of studying and consideration. I'm still a proponent of doing the most we can with our current facilities," said Commissioner Virgil Watkins. Watkins recently told the commission a collegiate summer league showed interest in Luther Williams Field. Watkins said Coastal Plain League representatives toured the historic stadium recently, but there was no other update.

B&D said they've started the market analysis which takes about 3-4 weeks to finish. A site analysis will follow. The entire baseball feasibility study should be complete in January. B&D plans to visit Macon two more times.
Baseball experts: Single-A minor league team could work for Macon-Bibb - 41 NBC News

Old 01-30-2016, 02:25 PM

242 posts, read 341,343 times
UPDATE: Field of dreams: Some say Bibb Mill arts village and baseball could co-exist

An east Macon neighborhood could look radically different in a few years if plans unfold for an arts village and a separate mixed-use development anchored by a baseball stadium.

Read more here: Field of dreams: Some say Bibb Mill arts village and baseball could co-exist | The Telegraph

Old 01-30-2016, 05:08 PM

A stadium featuring a mixed-use development would be a game changer for that area and provide some nice views of downtown.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 PM

242 posts, read 341,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
A stadium featuring a mixed-use development would be a game changer for that area and provide some nice views of downtown.
I agree 100 % I really hope this project materializes..... Keeping my fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon