Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

I had no idea this building at one time was one of the tallest building on the East Coast between NYC and Miami when it opened in 1941.

Quote:
The building, which now houses government and commercial offices, could feature several dozen apartments and penthouse suites, ranging in size from 600 to about 2,000 square feet, as well as retail or commercial space.

"We have a really clear path of what we’re doing," Dunwody said. "Right now we’re in the process of pricing the project."

The companies behind the Integrity Development Partners project include IDP Housing, based out of Valdosta, and Stratford Capital Group. Dunwody/Beeland Architects, out of Macon, has redesigned the building, which first opened in 1941 and was once one of the tallest buildings on the East Coast.

The agreement with Integrity Development says the company would buy the building from Macon-Bibb County for $1 million, contingent on the tax credits.
http://www.macon.com/news/local/article194240804.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Although I'm very happy to learn of this redevelopment project in downtown Macon, please note the section I have cut & pasted in from the article & what it actually says about the building height. There's a great deal of difference between what was written at 2 different points in the article about the height of the building.

"When the building opened in 1941, it was dominant on the Macon skyline, and it was believed to be the tallest building constructed after the Great Depression between Miami and New York City."

The key words in the article that matter are: "When the building opened in 1941" & "...constructed after the Great Depression between Miami an New York City." The problem arises in that Stanley Dunlap, the author of the article, has made 2 statements about the height of the building that actually say 2 different things as in when he erred in stating that it "...was once one of the tallest buildings on the East Coast."
Sorry to seem to nitpick here but I've followed skyscraper/skyline data for decades & thus know that in 1941 this 11 story (154") building would not have been anywhere near tall enough to qualify as perhaps the "tallest" between NYC & Miami.
The building once was named the Southern Trust Building and is found on the Macon tall buildings data page listing linked below.

https://www.emporis.com/statistics/t...7/macon-ga-usa

Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
I hope they can work wonders. I try to be optimistic but this is an ugly office building with little historic character. Residential would be a good use in that area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: