Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 AM

178 posts, read 499,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Because it consistently ranks as one of the top places to be robbed, raped, or murdered in Georgia. The county morgue told the Macon Police that they wouldn't take any more bodies a few years ago.

Overall it is a very poor, dirty, crime ridden town. Do a ride along with the police if you don't believe me. Percentage wise, Macon holds it's own with Detroit and Houston when it comes to violent crime. Macon has more housing projects than other cities ten times it's size.
Since when did Detroit and Houston have a comparable violent crime rate??? They dont.

"more housing projects than other cities ten times it's size."
Not True.

"consistently ranks as one of the top places to be robbed, raped, or murdered in Georgia"

According to Neighborhood Search for Home Buyers and Real Estate Investment - NeighborhoodScout

Your chances of being a victim of a violent crime in Macon is 1 in 140

Savannah - 1 in 117
Columbus - 1 in 103
Augusta - 1 in 93
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:07 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Macon made the list on ....Forbes 10 most impoverished cities in the US...
( Albany did also)

Surprised that of the 4 southern cities on the list, Georgia had the distinction of having 2 of them.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM

41 posts, read 166,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Because it consistently ranks as one of the top places to be robbed, raped, or murdered in Georgia. The county morgue told the Macon Police that they wouldn't take any more bodies a few years ago.

Overall it is a very poor, dirty, crime ridden town. Do a ride along with the police if you don't believe me. Percentage wise, Macon holds it's own with Detroit and Houston when it comes to violent crime. Macon has more housing projects than other cities ten times it's size.
Why comment with total lies? What agenda do you really have or have against Macon?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaconWard1 View Post
Why comment with total lies? What agenda do you really have or have against Macon?
As the unofficial president of the Macon haters club I feel obligated to respond here. In regards to crime rates there are no total lies in ulsterscot's reply. Macon actually does fall in between Detroit and Houston regarding violent crimes per capita. Consistently. The only agenda I see here are rebuttals to statements not based in fact. It was rather easy to research the facts... the ones that show you are more likely to get murdered in Macon than Houston. I did not cause these stats, did not make them up, I just looked them up. And I did not say someone was a total lier along the way. Yet.

In regards to crime stats, you can choose to base your opinion on truth or fiction. I choose truth, you choose fiction. It is your choice... but just who is the lier?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,324 times
Default gone down hill

i wonder if macon will ever reach its former glory...lived here all my life(49 years)...it begining to feel like the forgotin city

Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM

24 posts, read 57,660 times
I posted this before on another thread. Macon is the only town I have had a gun pulled on me twice(different people). Have someone chase me down and throw a beer bottle at my car.
Also my mom (very eldery) had some people jump in her car and not leave the car till she "dropped" them off. They took her wallet on leaving the car.
She was too afraid to demand they leave.
She also lived off vineville ave. near vineville christian towers. A cop finally told her to leave her car unlocked that way they wouldn't break the windows to see if she had anything to take.
Macon has serious issues. SERIOUS issues. I wouldn't advise anyone to live here.
Inless you have family like I do unfortunately.

I have lived in Florida, Tennesse, Colorado and Georgia (ATL area).
I second the vote for Tennesse I would highly recommend east Tennessee.
Even though they are alot of poor people they are the nicest I have ever met. Will go out of your way to help.
I can't quote stats. just experience from living and visiting this area for over 15 years.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank View Post
I posted this before on another thread. Macon is the only town I have had a gun pulled on me twice(different people). Have someone chase me down and throw a beer bottle at my car.
Also my mom (very eldery) had some people jump in her car and not leave the car till she "dropped" them off. They took her wallet on leaving the car.
She was too afraid to demand they leave.
She also lived off vineville ave. near vineville christian towers. A cop finally told her to leave her car unlocked that way they wouldn't break the windows to see if she had anything to take.
Macon has serious issues. SERIOUS issues. I wouldn't advise anyone to live here.
Inless you have family like I do unfortunately.

I have lived in Florida, Tennesse, Colorado and Georgia (ATL area).
I second the vote for Tennesse I would highly recommend east Tennessee.
Even though they are alot of poor people they are the nicest I have ever met. Will go out of your way to help.
I can't quote stats. just experience from living and visiting this area for over 15 years.
For several cities, You can look at the posts on this site and there is always someone like "I lived in (insert city here) and my car, home, etc. has been broken into X amount of times."

Then in reply, there's always someone like me, who can say that I lived in that same city (in this case, Macon) for 18 years and nothing ever happened to me.

The inner core of Macon does have some crime issues, but show me similar sized cities with the similar demographics that dont have ghettos or crime-ridden areas, especially in the eastern half of the country.

If this really happened, I think what's more in question is where do people live within a city and what times they are going in and out and to what areas?

I wouldnt live near Vineville towers. If you got off that area of Vineville that is near high crime locations such as Pio Nono Ave and got on Pierce Ave. and rode futher out into North Macon then you wouldnt have had those problems.

It's not the city, it's where you live within the city.

Last edited by brentyoung12; 12-24-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 PM

24 posts, read 57,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
For several cities, You can look at the posts on this site and there is always someone like "I lived in (insert city here) and my car, home, etc. has been broken into X amount of times."

Then in reply, there's always someone like me, who can say that I lived in Macon for 18 years and nothing ever happened to me.

The inner core of Macon does have some crime issues, but show me similar sized cities with the similar demographics that dont have ghettos or crime-ridden areas, especially in the eastern half of the country.

If this really happened, I think what's more in question is where did you stay in Macon? Where were you hanging out and at what time? Why do you seem so vulnerable to these attacks?

If you're hanging out in a bad area at 1 AM, then it would be no wonder.
Yes I must apologize for being a victim. What was I thinking trolling the hood for some crack at those times. So the inner core then must be vineville ave. and the macon mall area since that is where that has happened to me.
also the people that got into my moms car and demanding to be driven somewhere happened at the medical center downtown. I am sure even well to do folks have to go to those areas sometimes.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:10 PM

clank, anyone familiar with Macon knows the area around the Macon Mall is a low income area. If you hang around a low income, poor area in any GA city, then you could expect similar outcomes.
You dont have to apologize for being a victim of a crime, but you should be more aware of your surroundings.
Dont live in or hang around high crime areas at the wrong times. Your experience wont be pretty in any metropolitan city doing that, not just Macon.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 PM

clank, this is not unique to Macon. In several metropolitan cities, you may have to pass through some poorer areas to get from point A to point B. That's why you handle whatever business you have to before late night. In most cities, including Macon, just passing through the rougher areas during the normal business hours of the day, you'll be completely fine.
If someone carelessly ends up pumping gas at Flash Foods across the street from the mall at 10 or 11 PM and they get mugged, then they should have known better. That's not excusing the crime, just pointing out that people should use more common sense. You dont go swimming in shark infested waters, then complain when a limb gets bit off.
I'm sorry for your experiences, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon