Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times

Advertisements

What's the rule for turning right at a red stop light when there is two right hand turn lanes that split off and you are in the left lane? From reading the first link below it sounds like you are not allowed. Correct??? The second link didn't go in to detail.

Example - exiting the beltline from the east, going north (right) on Midvale Blvd. I've found myself in this situation and not turning at the red light & get honked at. Others drive through the red treating it like a yellow light. Also it really frustrates me to see the majority of Madison drivers coasting through right on reds whether it's one or two lanes turning!

Red light running - Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Traffic facing a red signal at an intersection may, after stopping, cautiously enter the intersection to make a right turn into the nearest lane for traffic moving to the right or to turn left from a one-way highway into the nearest lane of a one-way highway on which traffic travels to the left.
Important: No turn may be made on a red signal if it means crossing lanes of moving traffic or if a sign at the intersection prohibits a turn. On making a turn on a red signal, you must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and bicyclists and other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0346.pdf
see section 346.31
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,342 times
I'm not a cop, but I'm pretty sure it's allowed to make a right turn from both lanes. That quote above just says "No turn may be made on a red signal if it means crossing lanes of moving traffic.." which I take to mean that if any traffic is coming from the left then don't cut across it, which is common sense.

Using the example, you cited, from the beltline to Midvale, consider the opposite direction, i.e. if you're heading from the west, and want to go south on Verona Rd. Again there are two right turn lanes, but IIRC the left lane has a special sign prohibiting right turns on red. Why have this sign if right turns are always prohibited?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 AM

42 posts, read 189,146 times
right on red is always allowed as long as its not specifically permited (e.g a sign)

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I was wondering the same thing. If you exit the Beltline going west at Whitney way there are four lanes, two to go left and two to go right. Both right lanes have red arrows...but people treat them as a stop sign, so I am curious, IS it legal to stop and then go? I know that what I have done and see people do and yes, people will honk if you just sit there.

I have noticed that if there is a red turn arrow, and a turn is prohibited when red, there is usaully a sign indicating this also...so who really knows.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:32 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,342 times
I am nearly 100% sure it's legal to make a right turn on a red light, unless there is a sign that specifically prohibits it.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
I ran into this situation the other day. I live in Baraboo but was in Madison getting off at County D I can think of the name. Any ways both lanes were for right turn. Only way you could make right turn on red was to be in the right of both those lanes. The left lane has to stay until the light allows it. I think that's pretty common in Madison. I don't if there is a state wide rule/law on it?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM

47 posts, read 167,033 times
It is illegal to make the right turn from the left lane of the two. That is crossing lanes of traffic. They should either put signs up for all those situations, or make the people more educated on the situation. It's very dangerous to make that right turn from the left lane--example is heading south on Whitney Way from the beltline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison