Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 23,885 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Madison area. Today, I got my car's WI license plate. I was told that I have to put one of them in the front. My question is my Buick Century don't even has any holes in the front bumper, how can I install the front plate? Drill some holes? Anyone has any information? Hope I don't need change a new bumper.

By the way, will the cops will stop me if I don't have the front plate? how risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
near every car is equipped for a front plate as many states require them. They either come with a bracket that bolts up behind the bumper, or may have 2 small "dimples" in the plastic bumper itselt that the dealer would normally have drilled thru to get to the threaded inserts behind it.

Speaking from experience, i'd get the plate on as it is a way to get pulled over. you may have some time being a transplant but my opinion i wouldnt wait too long

Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
I drove in WI for nearly a year before putting on the front plate. I came from a state that required only a back plate, so I thought the second plate must be backup just in case I lost the first one. At the time, I had an old car and had to strap the front plate on with a makeshift bracket. If you need to use wire, make sure you get stainless steel wire, or it will rust, and badly. You may also be able to purchase an inexpensive front bracket for your car off Ebay or someplace similar.

I still generally prefer the look of cars without front plates, but many front bumpers now have more integrated places for the front plate, so at least it doesn't always look tacked-on.

Find a away to attach that front plate straight away!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Many cars have a tow hook plug in the front bumper with a little plastic cover over it. A handful of companies make a bracket where you can use the tow hook plug to mount a front plate bracket -- no drilling necessary. Check to see if there's a tow hook plug on the front of your car; and if so, do a Google search for "tow hook license plate bracket".

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM

78 posts, read 229,278 times
Visit a Buick dealer, or do a search online for a GM parts store. There should be a specific GM part number for a front plate bracket for your specific year vehicle.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou65201 View Post
Visit a Buick dealer, or do a search online for a GM parts store. There should be a specific GM part number for a front plate bracket for your specific year vehicle.
Personally, I would not even think of doing this. Not worth the who-knows-how-many-hundreds-of-dollars they're going to charge you to do this. Drill holes in the plastic bumper cover, no big deal. Hell, you don't even need a drill. Just get 2 self-tapping screws; you could probably even use wood screws and turn them into the bumper cover with no issue.

Honestly though as long as you don't drive like a fool (which I'm guessing you don't since you drive a Century ), you should be fine. I've only been hassled for a front plate once when I was on my way to high school probably 8 or 9 years ago now, just because the cop wanted to know why I was late to school and whatever else. This was around Milwaukee though, if you live in the sticks and are driving late at night and find a cop with nothing to do looking for someone to bother, it might cause you to get pulled over.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times
is it just me or is this kind of a scary question given that, I assume, OP has a Drivers license?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
is it just me or is this kind of a scary question given that, I assume, OP has a Drivers license?
well if they are from a state like SC that has no requirements for front plates and it's only on a car passing thru thay you see one, it may just be new to them. And maybe now that they have to deal with it they realize they cant just attach it since their car didnt have the bracket (or those holes in the bumper cover pre-drilled ).

As for putting it on, i'd still suggest it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: