Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM

19 posts, read 44,641 times

Advertisements

How much do you pay for your monthly bills? What's included? Property tax, insurance, utilities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM

95 posts, read 291,248 times
Generally, when you buy a home or condo your bank is going to escrow your property taxes and insurance into your payment. So you'll have one payment (the amount depends on how much house/condo you buy costs) for property taxes and mortgage. Then in almost all condos and homes you are going to pay MG&E (gas and electric) probably about $150-$250 a month, water- quarterly or monthly about $75 a quarter, cable, maintence (home upkeep is generally going to be more expensive than condos and it isn't going to be a fixed amount), and then any updating you are going to do to the property.
If you purchase a $200,000 house and put 3% down and your property taxes are about $4000 a year your payment is going to be around $1400 a month. If you purchase a condo for $200,000 it's going to be the same but you'll have condo fees (somewhere between $100 a month and $250 a month).
The interest on your mortgage is deductible on your taxes.
If you are trying to figure out how much house you can afford, you should talk to three bankers (trust the one who tells you the lowest amount). You need to interview banks just like you would a real estate agent.
In general, you can get a really nice condo for a lot less than a home, but you get what you pay for. Home values have held pretty steady in Madison, whereas condos have lost a great deal of value.
If you are going to purchase instead of renting make sure that you are planning on staying in your place for at least 3 years if a house and 5-7 if a condo.
Get some professional advice. Talking to bankers and real estate agents is free and they are far more qualified to give you numbers real numbers. : )
Good luck!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Thank you for the information. I'm trying to figure out what option is more beneficial in our situation. House, condo or rent?
We're a family of 3. My husband works in Middleton and I'm a stay-at-home mom. Our daughter is 3. In 2 years she'll go to an elementary school and by that time we'd like to move closer to that school. We cannot afford to buy a house in Middleton, Waunakee or Verona (locations close to his job with excellent schools). But we can buy a condo and it fits our lifestyle perfectly. There're only 2 things that we're scared to death: condo fees that tend to be raised and difficulty to sell a condo (it loses its market value and we'll never return the money we invested). Besides in case my husband loses his job and we're unable to pay mortgage and bills, we'll have significant problems with selling the condo due to consumer's lack of interest to such investment. Though there're some categories of people who're interested in buying condos.
Renting seems to be more attractive as we have freedom. But again those attractive areas with great schools cost as much as we would pay for our own property.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 27,766 times
You could always rent for a while until you figure out if your situation is stable, or you are able to save up some back-up cash, and then consider buying when you are more ready. Obviously the big lesson from this economic crash should be that buying a house is a big risk! There seems to be a lot of foreclosures around Madison still, from what I'm seeing on Zillow

Old 04-21-2012, 06:41 PM

Yes, you are right. Buying property is always risky, especially in economic crisis period. To my mind, buying a condo is the most risky variant out of these 3.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 AM

95 posts, read 291,248 times
In your situation it would be crazy to buy a condo. I would suggest that you rent. The best thing you can do right now is find yourself a good financial advisor (this doesn't have to be expensive, there are free and reduced cost advisors through the city and county) and get on a budget and save for a down payment.
Renting in the Madison area is very expensive but being stuck with a condo to sell in three years is going to cost you a lot more.
Also, I wouldn't rule out Madison schools. Everyone talks about how fantastic the schools in Verona, Middleton and Waunakee are, but if you look on www.greatschools.org you will find that many Madison schools compete very well with those school districts. I wouldn't hesitate to send my son to many of the schools in Madison.
I'm a realtor and I grew up in Madison. I can tell you from my personal experience as well as that of my clients that the idea that Madison schools can't compete is a falsehood.
When it's time to buy a house, if you rule out the Madison schools you will be doing yourself and your family a great disservice.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM

87 posts, read 150,777 times
Condo? Why would anyone buy an apartment they can't just move away from once their lease is up?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinuccia View Post
Thank you for the information. I'm trying to figure out what option is more beneficial in our situation. House, condo or rent?
We're a family of 3. My husband works in Middleton and I'm a stay-at-home mom. Our daughter is 3. In 2 years she'll go to an elementary school and by that time we'd like to move closer to that school. We cannot afford to buy a house in Middleton, Waunakee or Verona (locations close to his job with excellent schools). But we can buy a condo and it fits our lifestyle perfectly. There're only 2 things that we're scared to death: condo fees that tend to be raised and difficulty to sell a condo (it loses its market value and we'll never return the money we invested). Besides in case my husband loses his job and we're unable to pay mortgage and bills, we'll have significant problems with selling the condo due to consumer's lack of interest to such investment. Though there're some categories of people who're interested in buying condos.
Renting seems to be more attractive as we have freedom. But again those attractive areas with great schools cost as much as we would pay for our own property.
Buying a condo is not wise. As you note, you have minimal control over fees, etc. In fact the fee is a non equity builder. You could buy more house for the same monthly amount as you can a condo when you include the fee. Why throw any equity away?

Condos are the last to sell and the first to fall in price, when things are not going well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison