Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,581 times

Advertisements

Hi, yet another "moving to Madison" thread. I just accepted a job offer from Epic Systems in Verona and I'll be starting in June, after I graduate from my university in California.

I'm looking for a sizable studio or 1-bedroom apartment (since I'll be living by myself). I want to be within easy driving distance of Epic, especially since where I live now gets no snow at all and I'd rather not have to learn to drive in snow with a 40 minute commute each morning.

I've heard a lot about the bike trails in Madison and I'd like to be close to those if possible while still being close to some city life. What part of Madison should I look into? And if you have any apartment community suggestions, I'd appreciate those as well! My budget for rent tops off at 1500/month, and that's the high end. It would be best if it was closer to 700-1000/month, but if it's something spectacular, I'll pay the extra.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leallax View Post
Hi, yet another "moving to Madison" thread. I just accepted a job offer from Epic Systems in Verona and I'll be starting in June, after I graduate from my university in California.

I'm looking for a sizable studio or 1-bedroom apartment (since I'll be living by myself). I want to be within easy driving distance of Epic, especially since where I live now gets no snow at all and I'd rather not have to learn to drive in snow with a 40 minute commute each morning.

I've heard a lot about the bike trails in Madison and I'd like to be close to those if possible while still being close to some city life. What part of Madison should I look into? And if you have any apartment community suggestions, I'd appreciate those as well! My budget for rent tops off at 1500/month, and that's the high end. It would be best if it was closer to 700-1000/month, but if it's something spectacular, I'll pay the extra.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Madison is going to feel like a much smaller place than what you're used to [probably - I initially read your post at Univ. OF California]. Outside of a few persnickety commuting routes during peak rush, it's pretty easy and fast to get around. The distance from Epic to the capitol is only about 5-6 miles as the crow flies.

Fortunately for you, there's a lot of good housing options with a short run to Epic. In general I'd say you want to stay west of campus and Fish Hatchery Road, but within that you have a lot of flex. Your budget is also ample, esp. at the high end, and a decent 1BR for under $1000 is possible.

It's probably at least worth looking at a commute out from Hilldale, since I think that may feel a bit more familiar given where you're coming from.

Anecdotally, a lot of younger Epic employees live at the newer complexes around Midtown Rd and County Road 'M' which are a bit more suburban but also newer and more "upscale"/hip. Hilldale will be more dense, with good access to services and campus/lake, but most of the apt complexes are older...it's been a few years since I've been in them, but off-hand I'd guess 50s-60s construction.

And of course Hilldale will mean a much longer (well within 40 though - probably more like 25) daily commute, and more in inclement weather. Living at Midtown/M it's going to be a bit more rural, but still a quick trip to anywhere on the west side/Middleton.

There's access to good biking just about anywhere in Madison, esp. if you have a rack to toss your bike on.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
OP, with the wide range of locations that Epic can bring in new employees from, do they have any housing contacts or referral services that they work with or recommend to the new workers? Wasnt sure if there were certain apt complexes as an example that Epic employees see some form of discounting, etc

Anyhow just thought i'd throw that out there

Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM

26 posts, read 48,367 times
The Hilldale area is also the first area that comes to mind for me- fairly young area, close to the UW campus, urban, good access to mass transit, lots of dining/drinking/recreation options within walking distance.

Another area to check out would be the neighborhoods around the West Towne Mall (I'm thinking along Gammon Rd, Watts Rd, that general area). Its still very urban, but maybe a little less trendy/"hip" than Hilldale. Housing is newer, likely a number of options within your price range, with an easy commute to Epic.

Those would be my top two suggestions based on your desire for a more "urban" setting, and based on your price range. I bet those would run towards the high end of your price range. There are some decent apartments throughout Madison at a lower price point. Some are in a little bit rougher neighborhoods (I'm thinking the area around Verona Rd between the Beltline and McKee, and the neighborhoods along the Beltline between Verona Rd and Park St). I'd say those are rougher neighborhoods, but many are perfectly safe (though some aren't)... but if I were in your position, I'd chose to go towards the higher end of my price range rather than saving a few bucks by living in one of these areas (just my opinion, obviously...)

If you're willing to remove yourself a bit from the city, you have some more options. There's some nice apartments around McKee Rd and Hwy M that are very close to Epic, but will feel very suburban, maybe even rural. There are also some nice apartments in Verona itself which cater to Epic employees. Even further out, you could consider Fitchburg, Oregon and Mt. Horeb. You'll definitely find a number of nice options well within your price range, and cheaper than what you'll find in the city of Madison (though Verona is pretty expensive). But at that point you're talking small town, suburban or rural environments.

And I'd also recommend reaching out to your recruiter from Epic and seeing if they can point you to renters that offer discounts for Epic staff.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 24,709 times
I have some friends that work for Epic that live in the Hawks Ridge apts off of S. Pleasant View Rd and Hwy PD. There are also a lot of rental properties around that area and around Hwy PD and Maple Grove, although it is a bit more suburban.

I know Epic has a portal where people post sublets. I would recommend talking to your HR contact, checking out that list, maybe subletting for a few months, and then figuring out where you want to live.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 10,175 times
I don't know of anywhere in the Hilldale area that would be a great place to live unless you are able to buy a house in that area. Most of the apartment buildings and grounds are not well taken care of and if he is looking for rent around a thousand dollars then he would be wasting the money in that area.

The best place for that price range with a very short commute to Epic would be in the Maple grove area. They have amazing apartments and the entire community is clean with convenient access to Verona, the beltline and down to the Hilldale and University area.

Alternatively you could just set up shop right in Verona, the city is exceptionally clean and they have very new and remodeled apartment buildings. Then if you want to venture into the city you can just hop on Verona road and in five minutes you will be at the beltline.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Actually, there are fairly inexpensive apartments by the DMV behind Hilldale. They aren't anything to write home about, but they are okay. None of the modern amenities people seem to expect in an apartment these days, however. They have shared laundry, for instance. Only one of these buildings accepts pets, however, and only declawed cats. I'm not sure even how many cats they allow. Not sure if that is an issue for the original poster.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,038 times
I am renting a studio in my very large condo. Specifically looking for Epic employees moving to the area. Min. 3 month commitment - but my last renter stayed 2 years. I live in Fitchburg - 10 miles from Verona campus, 8 miles from Midvale/Tokay campus.
Space being offered - large studio, Full - private bath, clothes closet, kitchenette will be added before June. New carpet, paint, gas fireplace, basement with great lighting and egressed window (so it doesn't feel like a basement). $700/month
I am an empty nester - so won't be part of your social life - but Epic employees are so social - you won't have any problems making friends. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send pics.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:49 AM

51 posts, read 72,349 times
Don't let epic make you work crazy long hours...they need to get over themselves.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Easy to say, but corporate culture is hard to buck. You pretty much have to be a work-a-holic to take a job at Epic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison