Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 11,336 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone!

I really need advice on this one. After months of searching, finding the answer, but thinking maybe I'm wrong to think that The North Side of Madison is filled with shootings, assaults, and things of that nature.
I'm Talking about Northport drive, Sherman Avenue, dryden drive areas. I have been wanting to apply to the income based Apartments Over there-The Packers Townhouse or Northport Apartments. I'm Even considering going in person to apply,( I live in Pennsylvania) but i'm scared! I have been watching Madison news, and it's scaring me-but maybe I'm over reacting to what I think the crime is around there? I Have a teenager too, if that makes any difference. Thank You so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
There are better places to live, there are worse. Why do you want that area? Where will you be working? What is your budget?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 PM

I am on a fixed income-a low one at that, so my options are very limited when it comes to finding apartments that charge according your (low) income (I am currently on disability). The two apartments that I mentioned, do just that. I love that Madison has awesome lakes, as well as many other things that interest me. If I can convince myself to actually go outside and not be afraid! That sounds a bit hopeful that "it's not the worse" area lol.

Thank you for your reply!
-Anyone else?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:33 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Hi OP, i second what Timberline already noted.

Myself, I would consider other locations for living though I understand that one's budget will dictate in a large part where they can live. So depending on that part, your options could be limited here.

Is crime in the north side higher? It can be yes. But something to consider; Madison is a smaller city. One can drive across it in a 1/2 hour or less which means issues and problems between people or groups can be fluid and move around the area. A shooting on the north side could have started with a fight on the south end......The gun violence has risen, and in some cases rather dramatically; just cant compare the total #s to a larger city.

I'd always suggest someone should spend a couple days looking around any new location they'd be moving to; getting a feel for neighborhoods, shopping/retail, and even schools. And knowing where potential employment would be can also help posters suggest some spots that could work well for you and yours.

* edit: just saw on a local news site that the Madison PD has a new crime mapping page that perhaps could be useful for new residents as well.

https://communitycrimemap.com/?addre...20WI#nwrButton

Last edited by ranger17; 10-12-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 07:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Lets back up, why are you moving to Madison at all? I love Madison, great city, great quality of life, but there are many places in the upper Midwest (and certainly elsewhere) that are nice to live and more affordable. Madison isn't expensive, and I think it's quite affordable for the QOL (but hey, I'm used to San Fran, Chicago, Boston prices), but it's not "cheap" in the grand scheme.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
If you live in PA, what is your interest in coming all of the way out to WI? PA has many nice communities with safety, affordability and amenities. You could even head down to parts of VA, NC or SC for lower cost of living. Do you have specific medical needs that you hope providers in Madison could address? Do you have family and friends in Madison?

I also agree with the other posters. The parts of Madison that you are considering are not the best the city has to offer. For comparison, where in PA do you live now?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 PM

Thank You for the replies :-)
I currently live in Wilkinsburg it's a suburb of Pittsburgh. I have been looking for an apartments that MUST be where rent is income based. I have looked in many places right here in Pennsylvania, however either the waiting list is 4 or more years long, or it's not an area I would want to live in/too much crime. It's so frustrating. As far as do I know anyone In Madison, no...but then again I don't know anyone in any state lol.... Just my sister and Mother in the same state as me....I dont need to stay in the same state as them, the 3 of us live our own separate lives :-) I have heard that the waiting list for the apartments in that area, are short-which is another reason why I'm interested. Plus I have researched and read articles where Madison seems to be a great fit for things that I like-and my personality. *Sigh*...but I won't go into an area that is known for much crime, just to get into an apartment sooner :-/

Thanks again to all who replied.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:32 PM

346 posts, read 464,410 times
I'd live in the North over the South/Southwest any day.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
I'd live in the North over the South/Southwest any day.
Really?? I don't want to live anywhere again where, only like my immediate area and apartment is decent and pretty darn safe. Only for it to seem like a few blocks up, its not somewhere I'd want to walk around past 5 P.m! if you can't tell I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to people lol. I stay in my apartment most of the time because if it. shop online, work out in the apartment, everything...I'd like to be able to feel safe, not just in my apartment/immediate surrounding area. I'm wondering, since I do stay to myself most of the time..and I'm not up for making "friends" (I'm polite, with a nice smile and wave hello if in passing though) if I'll be fine since I don't get involved with people :-) *I know certain people will still try to start problems even if they don't know you..grrr.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Hi OP, i second what Timberline already noted.

Myself, I would consider other locations for living though I understand that one's budget will dictate in a large part where they can live. So depending on that part, your options could be limited here.

Is crime in the north side higher? It can be yes. But something to consider; Madison is a smaller city. One can drive across it in a 1/2 hour or less which means issues and problems between people or groups can be fluid and move around the area. A shooting on the north side could have started with a fight on the south end......The gun violence has risen, and in some cases rather dramatically; just cant compare the total #s to a larger city.

I'd always suggest someone should spend a couple days looking around any new location they'd be moving to; getting a feel for neighborhoods, shopping/retail, and even schools. And knowing where potential employment would be can also help posters suggest some spots that could work well for you and yours.

* edit: just saw on a local news site that the Madison PD has a new crime mapping page that perhaps could be useful for new residents as well.

https://communitycrimemap.com/?addre...20WI#nwrButton
Thank-you for this info! Yes a half an hour drive IS Pretty small, so I can understand about problems starting from other areas :-< . I'm use to using the spotcrime map-so thank you for this new map to get a better idea if it's somewhere I could handle living in....I don't see much with this map though, in the northport drive area I'm concerned about.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: