Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,735 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what is going on with Madison's public schools? Does anyone know where I can read about what is going on? Consolidation? Big cuts to arts programming? How can I find out about it?

Thanks,
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazutoo View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with Madison's public schools? Does anyone know where I can read about what is going on? Consolidation? Big cuts to arts programming? How can I find out about it?

Thanks,
Suzanne
I've been reading as many of the online papers and news sites as possible. There is a chance we are moving into the area and I am starving for any information I can get.

This state forum isn't as active......so it seems one is sort of on one's own. Let me know if you find out anything substantial.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 PM

42 posts, read 189,247 times
Probably not gonna happen parents are protesting and stuff

Old 04-14-2007, 02:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast12 View Post
Probably not gonna happen parents are protesting and stuff
Parents protest all the time down here (for the opposite reason...we can't build schools fast enough and parents complain when their kids get moved to the new schools)...and it doesn't change the school's mind.

How could they protest anyway? If the school doesn't have the money to run the schools they don't have the money.

Are they planning on expanding other schools or are there just not enough students to do that?

Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Hey Desdemona,

I reel for you when you write that this is an inactive forum. It seems like the sunbelt states, where people are constantly moving to and from, are the most active places for the forums. The fact that the WI forum is slow is a sign that it is a stable area with no large year to year swings in population. Take that as a good sign!

Regarding the schools, well, people here love to protest. Really, very few schools might close. I think it is more a consolidation of 2 schools, and you have a very vocal community here. Many people put spin on it and imagine things are much worse than they are. I suppose it is a big deal to a select few, but not to most. These schools are in areas that have long been university student housing areas (few school age kids), single couples, families with few children and an overall "past childe bearing age" population. The schools didn't close sooner because funding used to be plentiful. Now that the costs are going up, the district has to trim the fat somewhere.

Schools in the rest of the district vary widely. Some are bursting at the seems (Leopold), while others are growing on the outskirts, as in any city. Many are also stable population wise.

If you have any specific questions, post again, I will look for your questions to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: